Honored Contributor

Week Two fo the NFL Preseason!!

This week the Eagles travel to New England to practice and play against the Patriots. It sounds like the Patriots tried to stir up a bit of a QB controversy after practicing against the Redskins last week by saying Kirk Cousins was better than RGIII. It'll be interesting to see if they try to stir up anything with the Eagles in town. If they keep trying to cause trouble they could find it hard to find teams to practice against.

The Eagles have a couple of areas where the Patriots could try and cause trouble. We've got position battles going on at backup QB, safety, cornerback, and wide receiver, so they could stir things up a bit by coming out saying one guy is better or worse than another. It'll be interesting to see,

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Week Two fo the NFL Preseason!!

And after two days of shared practices with the Patriots things are still looking pretty good for the Eagles. Last year Tom Brady ate our defense alive. This year we're competitive. That's a good sign. No one seems able to cover LeSean McCoy or Darren Sproles out of the backfield. I was worried when our linebackers were constantly being left in the dust, but seeing the Patriot linebackers having the same problems is kind of encouraging. Those two guys may end up with a lot of catches this year.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

On 8/13/2014 gardenman said:

And after two days of shared practices with the Patriots things are still looking pretty good for the Eagles. Last year Tom Brady ate our defense alive. This year we're competitive. That's a good sign. No one seems able to cover LeSean McCoy or Darren Sproles out of the backfield. I was worried when our linebackers were constantly being left in the dust, but seeing the Patriot linebackers having the same problems is kind of encouraging. Those two guys may end up with a lot of catches this year.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

GARDENMAN-so no repercussions for Cary Williams who called the Patriots cheaters......{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Apparently Robert is busy working on his footwork and pocket reads and getting rid of the ball quicker. I do like Cousins and it will be interesting to see how they both do against the Browns and Johnny Football....

Rookie Breeland is an IDIOT he looked very promising and heaven knows we need help at CB position but he was busted for pot possession.....I can't believe how these players jeopardize their NFL career by doing something so STUPID!!! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

And I agree with my Spurs ....I don't want the Raiders.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Cary Williams seemed to get along okay with the Patriots. He's never going to be overly chummy with them, but there was no open warfare this time around. It was a big improvement over last year. We'll see what happens in the game tomorrow night. That might be a whole different story, but so far, so good.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

We'll be watching the Bears and Jacksonville game tonight. Go Bears!!!!!
Honored Contributor

The Eagles game on Friday night was pretty good overall. Way, way, way too many penalties and the defense looks a bit shaky, but not bad all things considered.

The Giants still look like they're having some issues with Eli Manning.I think he was 1-7 for something like 30 yards and that's not overly good for the second preseason game. The West Coat offense is designed to be quarterback friendly and Eli seems to be having all kinds of problems with it. I'm not sure they aren't getting real close to moving on from Eli. They had something like six or seven quarterbacks in various OTA's/camps this off-season which looked a tick suspicious, but now that we're seeing Eli try to fit into the West Coast offense it's starting to make more sense.

That Cowboy's defense is looking pretty scary to Cowboy fans. They've got to figure out a way to fix that and they've got to fix it fast. I'm not sure there's any one part of their defense that's solid. They may have to play a kamikaze style of defense this year with massive blitzes hoping to clog the running lanes and get to the quarterback before they can get burned. I'm not sure they can stop anyone any other way. That style of defense is somewhat suicidal, but it can result in big plays and occasionally stop the opponent while I'm not sure their base defense can. Don't be shocked to see them make wholesale changes in personnel when the rosters get cut to 53 players. They need more/better bodies on defense.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The Colts played great the first three quarters of the game, then things fell apart. They were leading 26-0 , but lost the game 27-26. One of the touchdowns the Giants scored was because of a fumble in the end zone. I turned off the game with 10 minutes left to play and the Colts ahead 26-14. Then found out today that they lost. By that time 3rd stringers were playing for the Colts, so that may have been one reason for the loss.

I'm not real concerned at this point, because I saw some great defense for most of the game. The Colts have some guys who can make the plays when needed. The Giants didn't look all that good; they basically got breaks and took advantage of them. Curtis Painter did not play well; he wasn't good when he was with the Colts. I don't know what the Giants saw in him when they signed him. Maybe he'll eventually improve; the Giants must have figured he's worth a chance.

The Colts can't make these mistakes in regular season and expect to go far. It's still preseason, so hopefully they'll learn from those mistakes.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

On 8/17/2014 gardenman said:

The Eagles game on Friday night was pretty good overall. Way, way, way too many penalties and the defense looks a bit shaky, but not bad all things considered.

The Giants still look like they're having some issues with Eli Manning.I think he was 1-7 for something like 30 yards and that's not overly good for the second preseason game. The West Coat offense is designed to be quarterback friendly and Eli seems to be having all kinds of problems with it. I'm not sure they aren't getting real close to moving on from Eli. They had something like six or seven quarterbacks in various OTA's/camps this off-season which looked a tick suspicious, but now that we're seeing Eli try to fit into the West Coast offense it's starting to make more sense.

That Cowboy's defense is looking pretty scary to Cowboy fans. They've got to figure out a way to fix that and they've got to fix it fast. I'm not sure there's any one part of their defense that's solid. They may have to play a kamikaze style of defense this year with massive blitzes hoping to clog the running lanes and get to the quarterback before they can get burned. I'm not sure they can stop anyone any other way. That style of defense is somewhat suicidal, but it can result in big plays and occasionally stop the opponent while I'm not sure their base defense can. Don't be shocked to see them make wholesale changes in personnel when the rosters get cut to 53 players. They need more/better bodies on defense.

Hey GARDENMAN---they definitely need different personnel but who is out there that would really help that Cowboy's defense....I think they are in trouble

Eli and the West Coast Offense don't seem to be clicking together at all.......shouldn't the coaches fit the style to the player....I hate coaches who seem to try to put a square peg in a round hole.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

On 8/17/2014 teganslaw said:

The Colts played great the first three quarters of the game, then things fell apart. They were leading 26-0 , but lost the game 27-26. One of the touchdowns the Giants scored was because of a fumble in the end zone. I turned off the game with 10 minutes left to play and the Colts ahead 26-14. Then found out today that they lost. By that time 3rd stringers were playing for the Colts, so that may have been one reason for the loss.

I'm not real concerned at this point, because I saw some great defense for most of the game. The Colts have some guys who can make the plays when needed. The Giants didn't look all that good; they basically got breaks and took advantage of them. Curtis Painter did not play well; he wasn't good when he was with the Colts. I don't know what the Giants saw in him when they signed him. Maybe he'll eventually improve; the Giants must have figured he's worth a chance.

The Colts can't make these mistakes in regular season and expect to go far. It's still preseason, so hopefully they'll learn from those mistakes.

Hey Tegan----well I got some good news for you ..... several of the NFL preview mags are picking the Colts to go to the Super Bowl!!!! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Pretty good game by my Redskins ---

Robert still needs to learn how to slide, had 2 stupid false start penalties, he tried to stay in the pocket a little more, made a bad decision which resulted in an interception. Had one nice 49 yd pass to Andre Roberts.....

Kirk Cousins started out shaky with an interception but recovered and had a very nice game....

DeSean had some nice catches and showed speed after the catch as did TE Jordan Reed.

We still have a problem with blocking from our running backs and tight ends ......

And I HATED the play selection at the goal line-all four were runnings plays and the Redskins were unable to power the ball in against the Brown's excellent defense and it would've been nice to see them try a short pass....

The Redskins D played more aggressively -- great sack by Kerrigan

The team overall looked more poised and confident than they were last season with that Shannahan mess....Could the QB mess in Cleveland be in part to the play calling by Kyle Shanny who is now OC of the Browns....and switching out QBs in practice without giving them a chance to get their timing down with their WRs didnt help either....