Honored Contributor

Golf enthusiasts . . . do you think Tiger and Phil are done?

Tiger pulled out of the Masters because of injuries (or really bad playing, who knows). Then Phil Mickelson pulled out, no reason given. I do know he has psoriatic arthritis and wonder if that is getting worse.

Looks like the golf scene is changing . . . out with the old, in with the new.

Any opinions?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Golf enthusiasts . . . do you think Tiger and Phil are done?

Tiger hasn't been the same since his marital difficulties a few years ago. Phil often seems to be in so much pain. Guess it's time for change. I was soooo rooting for that 20 year old yesterday! He sure has a lot of promise.

Honored Contributor

On 4/14/2014 Krimpette said:

Tiger hasn't been the same since his marital difficulties a few years ago. Phil often seems to be in so much pain. Guess it's time for change. I was soooo rooting for that 20 year old yesterday! He sure has a lot of promise.

I was too. He has great potential . . . he'll get there!! Cute little thang!

And yes, once Tiger lost his image, his head just got out of the game. He's had a few stabs at comebacks, but they never last. It's a shame. He was truly a great one.

As for Phil, I empathize because I have rheumatoid arthritis. He does commercials for Enbrel (I think) but apparently it's not working as well as his endorsement says it is, which doesn't surprise me. Hang in there Phil!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Phil missed the cut didn't he? I don't think he pulled out.

Tiger? I think he is done. He's had too many injuries, too old to overcome them, and I don't think he could stand playing and not being the top cat.

Honored Contributor

Yep, the new buck is taking over...Jordan Spieth! My Dallas own! The future is extremely bright for him. Between Byron Nelson, Hank Haney, Justin Leonard, David Feherty...now the young guard of Jordan, DFW is littered with golf greats. But no one will EVER repeat the greatness of Tiger.

Honored Contributor

On 4/14/2014 Sooner said:

Phil missed the cut didn't he? I don't think he pulled out.

Tiger? I think he is done. He's had too many injuries, too old to overcome them, and I don't think he could stand playing and not being the top cat.

I agree about Tiger, he has a huge ego, which I forgave him for because it was thrilling to watch him play. Obviously, that's no longer true.

I thought Phil pulled out too, I didn't realize he missed the cut. Wow. As I said, my heart goes out to him because there's a limit to what one can do physically once autoimmune arthritis hits. The biologics, one of which he hawks on TV only go so far and then they stop working which is when the merry-go-round starts of one, then another one, then two of them at once, etc., a real nightmare with many side effects. I hope he gets back on track.

Formerly Ford1224
Trusted Contributor

I certainly hope Phil is not done! But I am ALL for Tiger being done!!!

Super Contributor

On 4/14/2014 Krimpette said:

Tiger hasn't been the same since his marital difficulties a few years ago.

I say that Tiger hasn't been the same since his dad passed away.

I can't stand him. If he retired and I never had to see his smug fist pump again, I'd be happy.

Honored Contributor

On 4/14/2014 sidsmom said:

Yep, the new buck is taking over...Jordan Spieth! My Dallas own! The future is extremely bright for him. Between Byron Nelson, Hank Haney, Justin Leonard, David Feherty...now the young guard of Jordan, DFW is littered with golf greats. But no one will EVER repeat the greatness of Tiger.

No. No one ever will, not in our lifetimes anyway. He made golf a major sport, not just a rich man's pastime. There were a few greats before him, like Palmer and Nicholson, but even they never took the world by storm the way Tiger did. Tragic in a way, because he did it to himself.

Formerly Ford1224
Valued Contributor

I hope.