Honored Contributor

NFL News and Notes for April 2014!!!

April is a fun month for NFL head coaches. Towards the end of the month the embargo on talking to players ends and coaches can start having meetings with players and installing the playbook for the new season. Classroom sessions and official training work can resume. Coaches will get to see how the new players fit into the locker room and how quickly they learn and retain the new playbook.

The Redskins have formalized their contract with DeSean Jackson for a reported $24 million over three years with $16 million guaranteed. If that report is accurate then Joel Segal (DeSean's agent) should easily win the 2014 Agent of the Year award. He took a radioactive client and got him a new contract that made him the highest paid free agent wide receiver this year in record time. Granted he had to invent phantom rivals to spur the Redskins on, but he got the job done. Even when one of the rivals (the Niners for example) made it clear they weren't going to get involved unless they could get a bargain, Joel Segal would immediately invent a new rival (the Browns after the Niners backed away) and keep the pressure on the Redskins. It was a brilliant job on his part. Kenny Britt, a wide receiver with similar talent/issues only got $1.4 million with $550,000 guaranteed from the Rams.

We're seeing a rush of lower tier free agents signing with new teams now to be on a roster for the OTA's. Those ninety roster spots are going quick and with the draft and undrafted free agents on the horizon, getting on a roster starts to look pretty important to guys about now. Will Montgomery the three year starting center for the Redskins signed with the Broncos to provide depth and competition along their offensive line. Offensive tackle Andrew Gardner from the Texans signed with the Eagles for more depth there. He's the eighth former Texan the Eagles have added to the roster. The Eagles personnel department reportedly sits down with every new player acquired and goes over the roster of the team that player left to try and identify any up and coming young players, or solid vets who have life left in them. The Texans had some good young depth that the Eagles have now stolen.

It looks like the Patriots are expecting quarterbacks to fall a bit in the NFL draft. They've brought in Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel for visits. They're due to pick 29th and don't really have the ammunition to move into the top ten, so they're apparently expecting those guys to drop a bit lower than that. Moving into the top fifteen is doable, but I'm not sure either of those guys is worthy. I'd be more likely to pick up a Zach Mettenberger or Aaron Murray (both guys coming off torn ACL's) later in the draft. Tom Brady is now 37 years old though and their current backup Ryan Mallett will either be a coveted free agent who the Patriots would have to overpay to keep as a backup, or will be traded, so they need a new young gun to groom. (Mallett and the Patriots first round pick might get them near the top ten in the draft if they really want one of those guys.)

This month will see lots of draft talk, probably a few trades, maybe a few more unexpected guys cut free, and lots of chatter once the OTA's officially start up. Some coaches will quickly discover the free agent they coveted is a cancer in the locker room, while others will be impressed by how much better a guy is than they thought when they signed him. A few older players will show up out of shape and unprepared while a few of the young kids will come in and impress everyone. April's a fun month in the NFL.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for April 2014!!!

I hope the Washington Football Team deal works out for them. Follow the team since I live in NVA. Personally don't have a good feeling about this one. Given up by Philadelphia even though he's been to the Pro Bowl 3 times in his young career. I think they are asking for trouble; they seem to make a lot of mistakes bringing in players; old players, overpaying, players with bad attitudes. No one yet with gang affiliation although there's a first time for everything.

Honored Contributor

The thing with DeSean Jackson is that there are four teams in the NFL that really know DeSean. The Eagles know him and cut him loose getting nothing in return. The KC Chiefs have Andy Reid and DeSean's old receiver coach in KC and they have a desperate need for a speed receiver and they passed. The Jets have Marty Mornhinweg (former Eagles' offensive coordinator) and Mike Vick and they passed. Vick arguably has more long-term baggage than DeSean, but they didn't want DeSean and they took on Vick. The Colts have Ryan Grigson as GM and he was a former front office guy in Philly and they passed. Eagles players aren't exactly mourning the passing of DeSean Jackson. Many seem to be quietly celebrating his release.

I've got a pretty good suspicion that this will be a very short marriage between DeSean and the Redskins. They've got a rookie coach, a very young offensive coordinator, a potentially fragile quarterback, and now they've added a major locker room distraction to the mix. DeSean's extremely talented, but there are tons of negatives. It's going to be an interesting year in Washington.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

On 4/2/2014 gardenman said:

The thing with DeSean Jackson is that there are four teams in the NFL that really know DeSean. The Eagles know him and cut him loose getting nothing in return. The KC Chiefs have Andy Reid and DeSean's old receiver coach in KC and they have a desperate need for a speed receiver and they passed. The Jets have Marty Mornhinweg (former Eagles' offensive coordinator) and Mike Vick and they passed. Vick arguably has more long-term baggage than DeSean, but they didn't want DeSean and they took on Vick. The Colts have Ryan Grigson as GM and he was a former front office guy in Philly and they passed. Eagles players aren't exactly mourning the passing of DeSean Jackson. Many seem to be quietly celebrating his release.

I've got a pretty good suspicion that this will be a very short marriage between DeSean and the Redskins. They've got a rookie coach, a very young offensive coordinator, a potentially fragile quarterback, and now they've added a major locker room distraction to the mix. DeSean's extremely talented, but there are tons of negatives. It's going to be an interesting year in Washington.

Hey GARDEMAN, for just the reasons you mentioned that is why I was concerned. Tremendous talent yes...but with teammates on the field, and off the field and the other factors just give me cause to pause....There is dancing in the streets by many in Redskin Nation but I don't know....{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

It just takes me back when the Spurs got Dennis Rodman ....he still had something in his tank and always talked about playing with "the eye of the tiger".....he was a rebounding maniac....BUT he would have his temper tantrum with the coaches....in the middle of the game, he took his shoes off, which was a sign he didnt want to play any more, put a towel on his head and sat in the corner on the floor.....I remember in a Western Conference Finals game when Sean Elliott and Avery Johnson were mounting a comeback and we were closing in and all Dennis did was stand there on the floor refused to play (after the coaches had pulled him aside and told him something)..... we lost....(yep that's "playing with the eye of a tiger")...the fans loved him, but I was NOT impressed. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} So I've been leery of players with "issues" ever since.....and glad my Spurs no longer pursue that kind of player, but unfortunately the Redskins do, and took a chance so we will see how it all works out! I wonder if it will be a situation just like Albert Haynesworth...boy Dan Snyder doesnt mind throwing his money away.....Perhaps Ryan Clark and Hall will keep him in line, but where are the leaders on the OFFENSE....RGIII has his own problems coming back from a disappointing season and facing a make or break year......Santana Moss is a veteran but he is a quiet guy....Albert Morris is a great guy but a bit quiet too....Pierre Garcon perhaps....Will this be a disastrous Redskin error....or an error by the Eagles ....we will have to see...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

SPURT. The Eagles did what they had to do. I think you'll find DeSean's tenure in Washington likely to be short-lived. He's already made noise about getting the number ten from RGIII which isn't the ideal way to move onto a new team. DeSean is DeSean. This isn't an issue with addiction (like with Chris Carter when the Eagles released him) where he can get treatment. The dude has an ego the size of California and wants to do things his way and won't tolerate criticism or correction. He's rebelled against every coach he's had. He fights coaches, teammates, opponents, everyone. He's a ticking time-bomb just waiting to go off.

The first time RGIII overthrows him, fails to see him when he's open, doesn't hit him on the hands with a pass, you'll see DeSean start to mope and complain. He'll run the wrong route and won't accept responsibility, he'll take plays off and loaf on a route while the quarterback is in danger of getting killed, he'll spend more time mouthing off to an opponent than listening to the quarterback, but he's always right in his own mind and everyone else is always wrong. He's not the easiest guy to have on a team. He's supremely talented, but he's got a ton of baggage with him. It's going to be fun to watch him in Washington.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

On 4/3/2014 gardenman said:

SPURT. The Eagles did what they had to do. I think you'll find DeSean's tenure in Washington likely to be short-lived. He's already made noise about getting the number ten from RGIII which isn't the ideal way to move onto a new team. DeSean is DeSean. This isn't an issue with addiction (like with Chris Carter when the Eagles released him) where he can get treatment. The dude has an ego the size of California and wants to do things his way and won't tolerate criticism or correction. He's rebelled against every coach he's had. He fights coaches, teammates, opponents, everyone. He's a ticking time-bomb just waiting to go off.

The first time RGIII overthrows him, fails to see him when he's open, doesn't hit him on the hands with a pass, you'll see DeSean start to mope and complain. He'll run the wrong route and won't accept responsibility, he'll take plays off and loaf on a route while the quarterback is in danger of getting killed, he'll spend more time mouthing off to an opponent than listening to the quarterback, but he's always right in his own mind and everyone else is always wrong. He's not the easiest guy to have on a team. He's supremely talented, but he's got a ton of baggage with him. It's going to be fun to watch him in Washington.

And its begun....the ink hasn't dried on the contract and already controversy on who is wearing number 10....RGIII is reassuring fans he's keeping #10 and DeSean will have a new start with a new number.....(DeSean better chose another number....I have a #10 and Im not getting a new jersey)....{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

P.S. Redskin fan and NBA star Kevin Durant was said to encourage DeSean to go to the Redskins.....{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} I hope my Spurs beat the Thunder tonight! {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

The Redskins who were down to about $1 million in cap space after signing DeSean Jackson have now spent the last of their cap dollars in signing quarterback Colt McCoy. I like Colt and think in the right system with the right assets, he could be a very good quarterback.

There's lots of local chatter now about the Eagles drafting Brandin Cooks the wide receiver from Oregon State to replace DeSean Jackson. I'm not sure the Eagles have that in mind though. When we picked up Damaris Johnson a couple of years ago he was to be the next DeSean Jackson and he showed some promise in his rookie year. Last year he largely disappeared in Chip Kelly's new system. I'm not sure what the team thinks of him now, but the fact that he's still on the roster implies they still like him some. I think Chip would love for Ifeanyi Momah to step up and grab some playing time. He's our 6' 7" 239 lb second year wide receiver who reportedly ran an official 4.40 forty yard dash and then ran a private 4.2-ish 40 at a private workout with the Eagles. If you can get a guy with that size and that speed on the field and running good routes, he's pretty much unstoppable. He was in camp with the Eagles last summer and was a bit overwhelmed and didn't show the level of skill and polish necessary to make the roster, but with another year of experience and a full off-season to get ready, I'm cautiously optimistic that he could step up and be a player.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I didn't know Dennis Rodman played for the Spurs. I heard that he kept getting into trouble with his attitude.

There is speculation--unproven since no one has admitted it--that if the Colts hadn't signed Hakeem Nicks, they might have been one of the teams interested in DeSean Jackson. That's probably because of the Grigson's tied to Philly. When DeSean was released, the Colts weren't about to sign him because they had Nicks and didn't need a WR. Some of the fans on the Colts forums were discussing DeSean going to Indy, but I don't think it would have happened anyway. At least I hope not.

Pierre Garcon is good, but he seems kind of quiet. I can't imagine him being a leader trying to keep DeSean Jackson in place.

I have a feeling that Jackson is going to try to get back at Philadelphia when the teams face each other. He's going to want to prove that they made a mistake releasing him. That's just my opinion; I'll have to see if it's correct.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Thank you for the news. Now I can skip the sports pages.

Honored Contributor

teganslaw. I can absolutely guarantee you that DeSean will be looking to make the Eagles pay for cutting him. I'm pretty sure we won't have to wait long to see those teams matched up. The NFL schedule makers will likely make the Redskins/Eagles game an early Sunday night/Monday night match-up. Chances are both of those games next year will be featured games.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!