Honored Contributor

Hockey: Dallas Stars, Rich Peverley

Rich Peverley, Dallas Stars forward, is one lucky dude. My sports radio station have been talking about this all day. Lucky the team medical staff were right there....anywhere else, it might have been a different outcome.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/rich-peverley-of-dallas-stars-collapses-on-bench-in-sca...

Honored Contributor

Re: Hockey: Dallas Stars, Rich Peverley

My wife received a "twitter" last night and read it to me. I know of Peverley but not so much as how he plays or his skill levels. I have seen him play and heard his name many times but cannot connect that with his hockey skill level in the NHL

From what my wife read to me the first thing I thought of was A-fib. This is more prevalent than many in society understand. Several of my friends have this heart issue and all of them were also present or former hockey players in my adult league.

There are several different medications for this but the patient has to be an in-patient in the hospital before they will even administer these drugs to them. Most usually start with a "Cardio-Version", which actually stops all electrical activity to the heart. This is done to return the heart to what is considered to be a normal/healthy heart and is called "sinus rhythm".

This could take days to get the right drug and dosage for a patient. One friend was in the hospital for 3 days and another for 5 days. The one with the longer stay had the Cardio-Version done twice. From my understanding these meds actually stop the heart when an episode of A-fib occurs. I am not 100% sure of this but I believe this is what one of my friends told me about his particular medication.

Seems like he said that each med and dosage for individual patients has a time variance as to how long it stops the heart or how it interrupts the heart to get it back into "sinus rhythm".

All but 1 of these hockey players came back to play hockey for many years with the last one quitting for an unrelated problem(shattered Tibia and Fibula leg bones)with this being his first year not playing in over 45 years. He was my oldest player at 76 years of age. As long as his meds were working properly he had no issues with his A-fib either during or in between hockey games. At his age he is one that obviously took his health and physical fitness very seriously and his excellent physical conditioning made living with this problem much easier than it might be for others not so physically fit.

This is a serious issue and I hope Mr. Peverley is able to continue his hockey career if that is what he and his doctors think is a reasonable goal for him. I have a friend that grew up in our city and played as a New York Ranger for many years and is now still playing in the AHL. He comes home each off-season and lives with his parents, whom are very good friends of mine.

This player had PE's when a NY Ranger and did not play for quite a while. He was put on Coumadin/Warfarin and decided to continue to play in spite of warnings from his doctors, and against the wishes of his parents. He was never a high $$$ player but I do know that with the Rangers he had a contract worth more than 2 million $$$$.

So far he has not had any issues with PE, fortunately as am I. He also had a Greenfield Vena Cava Filter put into his groin, as did I. Many never live to get a 2nd chance when PE's are diagnosed. Over 85% of all PE's are found during an autopsy, that to me is very deadly.

I wish him and his family nothing but the best with or without a hockey career.

hckynut(john)
Contributor

On 3/11/2014 hckynut said:

My wife received a "twitter" last night and read it to me. I know of Peverley but not so much as how he plays or his skill levels. I have seen him play and heard his name many times but cannot connect that with his hockey skill level in the NHL

From what my wife read to me the first thing I thought of was A-fib. This is more prevalent than many in society understand. Several of my friends have this heart issue and all of them were also present or former hockey players in my adult league.

There are several different medications for this but the patient has to be an in-patient in the hospital before they will even administer these drugs to them. Most usually start with a "Cardio-Version", which actually stops all electrical activity to the heart. This is done to return the heart to what is considered to be a normal/healthy heart and is called "sinus rhythm".

This could take days to get the right drug and dosage for a patient. One friend was in the hospital for 3 days and another for 5 days. The one with the longer stay had the Cardio-Version done twice. From my understanding these meds actually stop the heart when an episode of A-fib occurs. I am not 100% sure of this but I believe this is what one of my friends told me about his particular medication.

Seems like he said that each med and dosage for individual patients has a time variance as to how long it stops the heart or how it interrupts the heart to get it back into "sinus rhythm".

All but 1 of these hockey players came back to play hockey for many years with the last one quitting for an unrelated problem(shattered Tibia and Fibula leg bones)with this being his first year not playing in over 45 years. He was my oldest player at 76 years of age. As long as his meds were working properly he had no issues with his A-fib either during or in between hockey games. At his age he is one that obviously took his health and physical fitness very seriously and his excellent physical conditioning made living with this problem much easier than it might be for others not so physically fit.

This is a serious issue and I hope Mr. Peverley is able to continue his hockey career if that is what he and his doctors think is a reasonable goal for him. I have a friend that grew up in our city and played as a New York Ranger for many years and is now still playing in the AHL. He comes home each off-season and lives with his parents, whom are very good friends of mine.

This player had PE's when a NY Ranger and did not play for quite a while. He was put on Coumadin/Warfarin and decided to continue to play in spite of warnings from his doctors, and against the wishes of his parents. He was never a high $$$ player but I do know that with the Rangers he had a contract worth more than 2 million $$$$.

So far he has not had any issues with PE, fortunately as am I. He also had a Greenfield Vena Cava Filter put into his groin, as did I. Many never live to get a 2nd chance when PE's are dia {#emotions_dlg.w00t}gnosed. Over 85% of all PE's are found during an autopsy, that to me is very deadly.

I wish him and his family nothing but the best with or without a hockey career.

{#emotions_dlg.scared} {#emotions_dlg.confused1} {#emotions_dlg.w00t} Way too much information for the average fan!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

On 3/11/2014 CDN2 said:

Way too much information for the average fan!!!!!!!

NHL level hockey and ""average fan"" are antonyms and should never be put in the same sentence. :-)}

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

My trainer is a big Stars fan & he educated me today for an hour about Mr. Peverley. Long story short, he's has worked his way up quickly from the unknown, lower ranks of hockey to win the Stanley Cup (Google his name & Stanley Cup...his little girl is eating Cheerios out of the cup!!) to current position w/ Dallas. Another teammate was shaken so badly, he was taken to the hospital for shock & isn't suiting up tonight. All is on the heels of Modano's jersey retirement celebration on Saturday.

Trusted Contributor

The Pittsburgh Penguins had a similar episode with one of their players. Kris Letang who is only 26 collapsed at his home. When they took him to the hospital they found out he had a stroke. With further tests they discovered he had a hole in his heart. I think they are treating him with blood thinners and they are going to decided if he needs surgery. Doctors said children are born that way but the hole usually closes up on its own..

Jessa
Occasional Contributor

On 3/11/2014 CDN2 said:

NHL level hockey and ""average fan"" are antonyms and should never be put in the same sentence. :-)}

I appreciate the time taken to post. Thanks for the info.
Contributor

On 3/11/2014 Lisa8301 said:
On 3/11/2014 CDN2 said:

I appreciate the time taken to post. Thanks for the info.

Thank you very much.

Honored Contributor

The latest I heard is that he will not play again this season. Best wishes for his return to the best health possible and that he is able to pursue the sport he loves as whatever level is safe for him and his family.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

My sports radio guys are speculating this is career ending. The Stars will either give him a back office/coaching job or give him a $1MM and cut him. They also said there's no way a new team will take on this liability. Can't help but agree with them.