Honored Contributor

Week Three of the NFL Playoffs!!!

We start off Sunday at 3:00 ET with the Patriots at the Broncos. Tom Brady's absence at practice Wednesday was unusual. Normally he'll practice through just about anything, so him missing a practice is kind of interesting. We'll have to see what happens as the week goes on, but the Patriots without Brady are a whole different team. If whatever kept him from practice keeps him out of the game, then the Broncos should cruise to an easy win. If Brady plays, then things get trickier.

Bill Belichick will pull all kinds of stunts for a big game. When the Eagles played them in our last Super Bowl appearance, the Patriots changed their whole defense in the two weeks from the end of the playoffs until the Super Bowl. Everything we'd practiced for and saw on film was gone. The Eagles eventually adapted, but we lost a few crucial early series while adjusting and you can't afford to give anything to the Patriots. You never know what Belichick will pull out of his hat for a big game, but I'm sure he's got something up his sleeve. (Maybe an all-dime defense?) He won't just line up as he's lined up all year and play how they've played all year. He'll throw some wrinkles in.

I like the Broncos in this game. Peyton Manning has the smarts to overcome anything Belichick is likely to throw at him. I can't believe there's much Manning hasn't seen. Now if the Patriots can come up with a blitzing scheme that lets them get some early clean shots on Manning they could pull this one out, but I'm giving the edge to the Broncos. I think Wes Welker will want to send a very clear message to the Patriots of what they're missing by letting him go. I expect him to have a big game.

Game two on Sunday is the Niners at the Seahawks. Two of the best defenses in the NFL against two potentially explosive offenses. The Niners can't afford to fall behind early. You can't let that crowd take over the game. The Niners have to get ahead early, pull away a bit, and snuff out any hope the Seahawks have early on drives. The Niners could win if they can take the heart out of the Seahawks. This is a tough game to pick. I've got a feeling the Niners won't be able to strangle the Seahawks and the Seahawks will find a way to win. I suspect a turnover to be the margin in this game. A fumble at the goalline seems like the deciding play in this game. I keep seeing Gore of the Niners reaching for the goalline only to have the ball squirt free and be recovered by a Seahawk. I'm giving an edge to the Seahawks in this one. The two teams are evenly matched, but having that crowd behind the Seahawks gives them an edge.

This should be a heck of a Super Bowl this year no matter who wins on Sunday. We've got four really good teams fighting it out.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Week Three of the NFL Playoffs!!!

I think the Seahawks always have an edge at home. I don't see them losing this game. San Francisco will have to very careful not to let he game get out of hand. If Boldin has a great game, SF has a chance.

Maybe Brady not practicing is just one of Belichick's tactics and really means nothing? Unless I see it otherwise, I assume Brady will play. I have no idea who will win this game; it's basically a toss up.

Caldwell isn't a bad coach and seems to be a nice guy, but I don't know if he has the discipline to coach Detroit. They have many good players, but some of the players are unruly and get into trouble off the field. Not sure how Caldwell can handle those kind of problems. The first year he coached Indianapolis he was given the team that Dungy had assembled and just went with that. The next year was when Manning was out and that caused all kinds of problems. I hope he does well with Detroit, but I'm not convinced he has what it takes to coach a team to the playoffs. I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude with this. Maybe he'll impress me.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Regular Contributor

I admire and respect peyton but as a life long new englander all I have to say is GO PATRIOTS!!!

Honored Contributor

What stands out to me about these games is the QBs. The AFC features two veteran pocket passers while the NFC features two of the new wave read option QBs. If the Seahawks go on to win the Super Bowl, I think Johnny Football's stock will rise in the draft thanks to Russell Wilson. Of course I'm rooting for the NFC West teams.

Respected Contributor

Never underestimate Harbaugh, Kaepernick, Gore, Boldin and Crabtree. Did you see the two goalline stands by the defensive line last week? The 49ers still remember their defeat in the Superbowl last time. As Harbaugh would say, these are mighty men with a mission. GO NINERS!
Valued Contributor

There you are Gardenman!! I have been waiting all week for your analysis. I hope you are right about the Broncos and wrong about the Niners but I doubt it.

Anyway thank you for all your work during this season. It's almost over and I will surely miss it.

Do you do any baseball analysis? Our home town team is the Anaheim Angels. We are hoping for a great year (for all the good that has done lately). Hoping we will get Tanaka. That should make a difference if that happens.

Honored Contributor

Hi MomOf4. I root for the LA Dodgers. We just had great news when we extended Clayton Kershaw's contract for an AAV of $30.7 million. I think the next player to reach that level will be Mike Trout. Many experts think he's already the best player in the majors.

There's several teams very interested in Tanaka including the Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs, Angels & Mariners. It's going to be interesting who he signs with. He has stated his preference would be a west coast team so both of our teams are still in the running.

The Angels have to get better. Albert Pujols missed a bunch of games because of injury and Josh Hamilton started off very slowly. Trading Bourjos for Freese allows Trout to play CF. I think they're going to miss Mark Trumbo's 30 HRs especially if Pujols and/or Hamilton doesn't bounce back. And they definitely need another starter.

Valued Contributor

Hey Brewhaha. You are so right about Mark Trumbo. What a disappointment it was to lose him. Thankfully, we still have Mike Trout. We are hoping to pick up Tanaka. That is what we really need. Pujols has been another big disappointment. I think his time might be over.

I am so looking forward to the Broncos game this weekend. I also have knots in my tummy. I take these games way too seriously. LOL Both quarterbacks are about equal IMO. It will come down to the defense and the Broncos defense has been lacking a little this season. I am happy the Broncos have Home Field. Don't think that will make a huge difference but it can't hurt.

Oh, Can I brag about out home town Hockey team the Anaheim Ducks? They are #1 in the league. After years of disappointing seasons for my teams I feel really lucky and hopeful for a championship or 2 this year. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

MomOf4. The beauty of football these days is it never ends, so I post here all year round. In February teams will start waiving players they no longer want. In March the free agent feeding frenzy starts. In May we have the draft. In June the minicamps kick into gear and then in July training camps open up again.

A hot rumor circulating in Philly today is based on a report from Miami that they may be willing to trade Dion Jordan (the defensive end/linebacker from Oregon that they jumped in front of the Eagles to draft last April) to the Eagles for our first round pick (22nd overall) in this year's draft. We may have to sweeten the offer a tick since he was the third overall pick last year, but they drafted a 3-4 outside linebacker and tried to make him into a 4-3 defensive end and it didn't work out as well as they'd hoped. With a new GM coming into Miami there's a likelihood he won't be overly attached to Jordan. We happen to have a couple of 4-3 defensive ends we've been trying to convert into outside linebackers (Brandon Graham/Trent Cole) one of whom we could package with that pick to make the deal. They'd get a really good 4-3 defensive end, we'd get a really good 3-4 outside linebacker who Chip Kelly knows and reportedly loves. It's one of those deals that makes a lot of sense for both teams. We'll have to see what happens, but there's likely to be a lot of thought and conversation given to that in both Phiilly and Miami as the draft approaches. Miami could end up with a good 4-3 defensive end and two first round picks and the Eagles could end up with an outside linebacker who is better than anyone they'd likely get in the draft. It's kind of a win for both teams and you don't often see that.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

That is really good news Gardenman. I have been determined to educate myself about other teams besides my favorites and reading your posts is an excellent way to do that. I do admit I kind of pick and choose though. Any time you mention the Broncos, my ears (actually my eyes) perk up. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Really looking forward to this weekend. Elation or Devastation, bring it on!!