Honored Contributor

Ugly shoe lament --- here comes spring!

I am sooooo looking forward to spring! However, I STILL can't wear any cute shoes due to tendonitis in my ankle and STILL wearing orthotics!!!! {#emotions_dlg.angry}

I just hate putting together a really cute, stylish outfit and then --- here it comes --- pan down to the feet --- uggghhh! Have to wear ugly shoes --- it just ruins the whole look!

How do those of you who have similar issues handle this situation? I realize that it's not the end of the world, but just imagine or visualize yourself --- as I said --- really putting together a very cute and nice outfit and then -- boom -- it's all ruined because of the shoes!!!!

Anyone have any ideas? I have been forced to wear primarily Easy Spirit clog-type things. This brand accommodates the orthotics and don't seem to cause me any problems. I am grateful that this helps, but it's been well over a year - closer to 2, and I am so tired of the whole thing.

I was not wearing crazy shoes before this. I had altered my footwear substantially, but at least I could still wear relatively cute footwear, such as wedges, ballet flats, and other cute flats, pretty sandals, etc.

Any and all ideas, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated! Even if you just want to post and commiserate!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Contributor

Re: Ugly shoe lament --- here comes spring!

Pardon the pun, but I feel your pain! I have cysts inside the bones of my right foot (arthritis). I had to get orthotics made & purchase a good pair of athletic shoes to put them in (dr . recommended Brooks brand). I was told to wear them all if the time. He recommended orthaheel for around the house. I will, on occasion slip on a pair of orthaheels if I am going out to dinner. We just have to look fabulous from our ankles on up! Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

Do you need a custom orthotic or can you wear shoes with an orthotic footbed built in?

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

Since Alegria's footbed is replaceable, maybe you could try that line of shoes.

Honored Contributor

On 3/14/2015 NYwoman said:

Since Alegria's footbed is replaceable, maybe you could try that line of shoes.

You can definitely use your orthotic in Alegria shoes. Also Hotter Shoes, made in the UK, have a removable footbed and room for an orthotic. They're very nice.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Yes, I have to use the custom orthotics. I was told that once I could go 6 months without any pain, then I could try a regular, decent pair of shoes without orthotics. This hasn't happened yet and I am beginning to wonder if it ever will!

I do appreciate these suggestions! Shoes that before, I was wearing comfortably even with my dumb feet - hammer toes, etc., I can no longer wear with the orthotics.

If I get my regular size, then they are too tight with the orthotic. If I go up a half size, then they are still too large. I have even tried a pad in the heel. This does not work right.

The orthotics lift the foot up and this causes many shoes to flop on the feet and not feet correctly also.

Thanks - I do appreciate the replies!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Pikolinos have removable footbeds. I've started buying them. I have some beautiful boots that I bought this winter from them. They're quite expensive, but I don't buy a lot of shoes because I have to pay so much and because they usually aren't very cute.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I had surgery on my left foot and had to wear a clog type shoe for many years. (over 20) No orthotics though. I don't think anyone noticed as no one ever said a thing to me even when I walked in the snow with no winter boots and my socks got wet in the back.

I now only wear a stylish shoe for special occasions. I stopped wearing dresses and wear mostly pants and some skirts. I altered my clothing to match my shoes.

Through it all, I really didn't mind. My feet look great. My family and friends wear all the fashionable shoes and when summer comes and they wear sandals, their feet have bunions, corns and look icky even with a pedi. I have the best looking feet around!

I am older, wiser and I feel best when I am comfortable. Today, I would not ever wear a pair of shoes that rubbed, pinched or hurt, even if I looked great in them and they made my outfit.

The best way to make an outfit shine is to have a smile on your face and a glow of happiness around you and a kick in your step.

Esteemed Contributor

Have terrible feet, had tendon transfers for hammer toes, had plantar fasciitis, touch of arthritis in large toes....I have had good luck with Alegria as well....and they are stylish
Super Contributor

I know. I have an injured foot that swells pretty often, so all of the cute shoes hurt. Mostly, I find dressy patent loafers or sometimes flats to wear with dressier clothes. And therefore, I don't wear the cuter dresses because of clunky shoes. But I can't stand the pain--even for an hour.