Super Contributor

Shoe stretchers - any recommendations?

There are several products on the market that claim to work for stretching shoes. Some are in liquid form and others are gizmos that slide into the toe area of the show. My one foot is now about 1/4 size bigger than the other - not sure what that is all about! In any case, is there a product you have tried and can recommend? It would need to be something that would work for fabric (the pair I have in mind are espadrilles). Thanks for any help. Gail

Respected Contributor

Re: Shoe stretchers - any recommendations?

The liquid is mostly alcohol. I'm not sure it wouldn't stain fabric.

There are actual shoe stretchers here and at HSN. Check them out. They work, but you have to be careful and do it slowly over at least a week. If you stretch the shoes too fast they can separate from the sole. However, they are probably your best bet short of going to a shoe repair place - if they even exist anymore.

Honored Contributor

I've never found any liquid or mechanical shoe stretcher to be satisfactory. When all is said and done, the shoes are still uncomfortable.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
New Contributor

For many years I have used rubbing alcohol applied to a cotton square to stretch areas of a shoe (like the toes, ex.) Just dab the soaked square where needed. Then put your foot into the shoe. It softens the material and stretches out that area permanently. It has always worked for me. (Remember those pointed-toe shoes?) Yikes!

Super Contributor

I can't speak for fabric shoes, I usually buy leather. The way to expand a leather shoe that is tight, like a ladies heel, is to put them on with a thick pair of socks, then hold your blow dryer over them until you get the desired fit that you want. It doesn't take long. Be careful and keep checking on them, you don't want to expand them too far too fast. This works very nicely for me and ladies high heels that might be tight in the toe box or around the rim or heel.

HTH

Frequent Contributor

I use the shoe form stretchers and I purchased them from Dr. Leonards and they were super cheap either 9.99 or 14.99.

Super Contributor

i dont think there is perfect solution for this?