Valued Contributor

What is the difference between Betula and Birkenstock?

Saw these lower priced Betula shoes at 6pm and was wondering. I know nothing about this brand but I like comfortable shoes.

Honored Contributor

Re: What is the difference between Betula and Birkenstock?

From what I understand, the Betulas are made in China. Birkenstock, Birkis and Papillios are made in Germany.

Honored Contributor

Forgot to mention, I have many (probably 75) pairs of Birkis/Papillios/Birkenstocks, but I don't have any Betulas so I cannot speak to the quality of that line.

Super Contributor

Betulas are made in Spain. They are licensed by Birkenstock, not made by Birkenstock. The difference also is that the insole is different - it is cork, but it doesn't have the support that puts your foot in a neutral position like Birkenstocks. They don't have the EVA outsole and you can't repair them.

Trusted Contributor

On 6/14/2014 okiebug said:

Betulas are made in Spain. They are licensed by Birkenstock, not made by Birkenstock. The difference also is that the insole is different - it is cork, but it doesn't have the support that puts your foot in a neutral position like Birkenstocks. They don't have the EVA outsole and you can't repair them.

I bought a few pairs from HSN when Christian Birkenstock was the vendor. All were made in China. The sizing was different than the ones on QVC. That had to be about 10 years ago. The ones I bought from QVC were not leather but they lasted much better than the leather Betulas.

Esteemed Contributor

I believe the footbed for each is made in Germany- the footbed for betulas isn't as thick as birkenstock, though. And the rest of the betula shoe is made 'wherever'.

The non leather birkenstocks last much longer- the birko flor and birko buc uppers are terrific- they don't wear out! They must use a cheaper leather for betulas because I've had to toss several pairs. They uppers don't hold up.

Super Contributor

On 6/13/2014 faeriemoon said:

Forgot to mention, I have many (probably 75) pairs of Birkis/Papillios/Birkenstocks, but I don't have any Betulas so I cannot speak to the quality of that line.

What about Birkenstock's other 'off-shoots', like AlPro, Footprints, & Tatami?

Ya know, you MUST complete the entire lineup, in order to be a true-blue fan and devotee of Birkenstock! Cool

Super Contributor

I have mostly Birkenstock/other B brands, with a few Betula pairs sprinkled in. And I like them both. 8)

Generally speaking, though, you'll pay less for Betula than Birkenstock and its brands.

Super Contributor

I know Alpro is for the service/medical industry - specifically non-skid soles, back straps, closed toes. All the Footprints I've seen look like regular shoes with Birkenstock insoles. Haven't seen any Tatami.

Thanks for nudging my memory - we have a vintage Birkenstock shoe store in town I need to go to. It's not used shoes, they are all new in the boxes, just from the 80's. A lady owned a Birkenstock store in the 80's and rather than having a going out of business sale, just packed everything up and stored it. About a year ago, a young man found out about it, made a business deal with her and opened a store with new "vintage" Birkenstocks. I think it's great that the boxes look the same, there are the same styles, same Birkis, Papillos, Birko-Flor.

Honored Contributor

When I purchased Birkenstocks and Betulas I found the sizing was different. I wore a 6 and on QVC that was a 36 but on HSN (Betulas) it was a 37. The Betulas were huge. When I ordered their 36, it was shorter and wider than QVC's.

My Betulas were cheaply made. When they got wet the soles fell off. This never happened to my Birkis. The foot bed in my Betulas pilled.