Esteemed Contributor

I have black birkenstock clogs- with a pebbled leather birko flor upper. The toe area has a couple small white marks - I tried to remove them with a damp cloth (like the birkenstock website suggests) but they're still there! Can anyone recommend a cleaner- or another method- they've had success with? Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Cleaning birko flor uppers

It might be the coating is actually scratched off and not something that needs cleaning off. If you can't get the mark off, try what I've done with suede Birkenstocks - get a black Sharpie permanent marker and cover the scratches. It does leave a purple tone even though it's a black marker, but better than white.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks- I'm going to try that!

Valued Contributor

I have a pair of birko-flor, and they are a pain to clean. You would think that being synthetic would make it a snap. One of my pair of mary jane slip-ons has a permanent looking scuff where a common bathroom toiletry etched into the surface. Very odd. I still wear them though. I am studying and training in an "ugly shoe" profession. {#emotions_dlg.w00t} Seriously though...I love my Birks. So ugly they are cute. I get people complimenting me all the time on them. Except for my big sherpa-lined Bostons....yeah...not so much. But, they sure do feel good.

Esteemed Contributor

I was using an anti bacterial cleaning wipe on the interior of the shoe - so I tried it lightly on the on the marks and they disappeared! Simple birk clogs (without buckles, designs or adornments) are the best for my business wardrobe. I'm so past them looking ugly, my feet are happy and that's what matters most! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Respected Contributor

ibb, so glad that worked, thanks for telling us! it's always tricky to know what will make it worse. I have so many, I think I have an addiction, lol!

Okey, I was actually looking for that fur-lined style. I would complement you on them rather than say they were ugly. Did you see the fancy designer hand-made fur-lined Arizona ones? They are 400.00!

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/10/2014 Desi said:

ibb, so glad that worked, thanks for telling us! it's always tricky to know what will make it worse. I have so many, I think I have an addiction, lol!

Okey, I was actually looking for that fur-lined style. I would complement you on them rather than say they were ugly. Did you see the fancy designer hand-made fur-lined Arizona ones? They are 400.00!

I have 'fur lined' knockoffs from American Eagle Outfitters - they were around $20!! They did stretch out a bit - so now they're the best slippers ever. Warm & cozy- with arch support! Real sherpa lining in any shoe is wonderful, but $400? Not my budget!!!

Respected Contributor

ibb, thanks, must investigate! I had a couple of dupes in the past that were great, which of course are no longer made. Didn't hold up as long as the real ones, but worth the difference in price!

Yep, they can keep those fur-lined real ones!

Super Contributor

thanks .. going to try.