Super Contributor

I am a Birkenstock girl. Has anyone tried both? Are they similar in the footbed? Trying to decide if I want to try Orthaheel sandals, when i have been wearing Birkenstocks for so many years. Any opinions? TIA!!

Honored Contributor
I would love some feedback on this as well. I have been wearing the Orthaheels and want to try a pair of Birkenstocks because they look like they'd have a good footbed for me (I need the anti-pronation/deep heel as well as the arch), but you can't always tell by looking. Am also uncertain as to size in the Birkenstocks. Should I try the same size as I wear in Orthaheels? Smaller? Narrow(er)? Any suggestions appreciated.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Contributor

I just recently tried Orthoheel as I wanted to see if there was an alternative in case the Q stopped selling Birkenstocks. Well they are not an option for me. The arch hurt my foot, and it causes it to roll way to much to the outside. So back they went.

Size wise I think they are equal as I wear a 41 in Birkenstocks and got an 11in the Orthoheels.

I wear my Birkenstocks and say pure comfort!!

Hope this helps.

Trusted Contributor

Rose Pink, you can buy Birkenstocks in a lot of places besides QVC. Many stores carry them and they are all over the web. Try zappos,amazon, or just google "Birkenstocks" and you will have a lot more options than the Q carries.

Super Contributor

I tried on a pair of Orthaheels and I couldn't get them off fast enough. They hurt my feet, I am a Birkenstock wearer all the way. I wish QVC would have Birkies on even half as much as Othaheels. It seems Orthaheels are on several times a week.

Super Contributor
On 4/19/2014 moonchilde said: I would love some feedback on this as well. I have been wearing the Orthaheels and want to try a pair of Birkenstocks because they look like they'd have a good footbed for me (I need the anti-pronation/deep heel as well as the arch), but you can't always tell by looking. Am also uncertain as to size in the Birkenstocks. Should I try the same size as I wear in Orthaheels? Smaller? Narrow(er)? Any suggestions appreciated.

I have been wearing Birkenstocks for years and I normally wear a 10.5 in other shoes. In Birkenstocks I wear a size 40 which is about 9 to 91/2 I think, so size down for sure. I over pronate too and Birkenstocks correct that. I even bought Birkenstocks footbed to wear in other shoes. In width I get the one with the little foot filled in which is about a medium. The foot outline is a wide...I think. I tend to be a narrow to average in width, and the filled in footbed works for me. Hope that helps! Zappos is really good about helping with questions, if you need someone to talk to. Love their customer service!!

Honored Contributor
On 4/19/2014 palmajo said:
On 4/19/2014 moonchilde said: I would love some feedback on this as well. I have been wearing the Orthaheels and want to try a pair of Birkenstocks because they look like they'd have a good footbed for me (I need the anti-pronation/deep heel as well as the arch), but you can't always tell by looking. Am also uncertain as to size in the Birkenstocks. Should I try the same size as I wear in Orthaheels? Smaller? Narrow(er)? Any suggestions appreciated.

I have been wearing Birkenstocks for years and I normally wear a 10.5 in other shoes. In Birkenstocks I wear a size 40 which is about 9 to 91/2 I think, so size down for sure. I over pronate too and Birkenstocks correct that. I even bought Birkenstocks footbed to wear in other shoes. In width I get the one with the little foot filled in which is about a medium. The foot outline is a wide...I think. I tend to be a narrow to average in width, and the filled in footbed works for me. Hope that helps! Zappos is really good about helping with questions, if you need someone to talk to. Love their customer service!!

Thank you, that does help. I too have a medium width foot that tends more to the narrow than the wide, and the footbed of the Orthaheel Tide and the mule styles has my foot sliding all over. That's why I wondered if I'd need a narrow in B'stock. Knowing that you also have pronation issues and the B'stocks are good for you is very helpful - thank you! Edit: I too have used the B'stock removable orthotic and like it better than the removable Orthaheel orthotic. I just checked the B'stock website and the "filled-in foot" is their narrow.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor
On 4/19/2014 moonchilde said:
On 4/19/2014 palmajo said:

Thank you, that does help. I too have a medium width foot that tends more to the narrow than the wide, and the footbed of the Orthaheel Tide and the mule styles has my foot sliding all over. That's why I wondered if I'd need a narrow in B'stock. Knowing that you also have pronation issues and the B'stocks are good for you is very helpful - thank you! Edit: I too have used the B'stock removable orthotic and like it better than the removable Orthaheel orthotic. I just checked the B'stock website and the "filled-in foot" is their narrow.

Ok, the "filled in foot" is a narrow then....I must be narrow to medium because it fits my foot perfectly. Thanks!! I know my SIL tried Orthaheel and didn't like them, so guess I will stick to Birkenstocks. Smile

Contributor
I have worn Birks constantly since 1999. In fact, during the summer, my trusty Arizona's are the go-to shoe. Two summers ago, I bought a pair of Orthaheel flip flops because I wanted a little more fashionable option. My specific foot issues are Plantar Fasciitis and high arches. I like the Orthaheel sandals but do not feel like they are as "secure" feeling. My foot moves around a lot more in the Orthaheel. Also, if I have worn the Orthaheels to walk a lot I notice my feet aren't as happy the following day. Not as unhappy as if I wear, say, my fave Converse with zero arch support, but I find I can't wear them allllll the time. In fact, I switch back and forth with the Birks. I hope this helps. GamDe
Regular Contributor

I wear both of them. What I prefer about the Orthaheals is that they're a little more ""finished"" looking if I'm wearing a dress.