Honored Contributor

Here at camp some previous lovely camper has planted a lot of traditional beautiful flowers. We have Rose of Sharon, lily of the valley, hostas defining the edges of our site and a lilac bush. This year the lilac bush has not been doing very well at all.It is certainly getting a lot of water as we are getting a lot of rain. It is out in the sun as well so that isn't the problem. DH noticed some beatles on it and sprayed it well - they seem to be gone. It did not flower this year. Is dropping leaves. We don't know what to do - we bought some fertilizer and fed it a few times but it doesn't seem to be responding to that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Sorry, i meant this to be under garden (obviously) but the screen jumped as I touched it.

Honored Contributor
I wonder if lilac bushes might be somewhat cyclical. We've lived in our house for 15 years, and the first year we were here we had three or four youngish looking bushes. Couldn't wait until spring of the next year AND- NO BLOOMS! Every year for the next TEN YEARS - NOTHIN'! FINALLY, after three MAJOR storms- this year, the darn thing bloomed. It looked weaker and more frail than ever, but there it was, a lovely full blossom. We never did anything to ours either, but it appears to have had all it needed. If you find out what kind of fertilizer they might like, please post!
Honored Contributor
On 8/3/2014 violann said: I wonder if lilac bushes might be somewhat cyclical. We've lived in our house for 15 years, and the first year we were here we had three or four youngish looking bushes. Couldn't wait until spring of the next year AND- NO BLOOMS! Every year for the next TEN YEARS - NOTHIN'! FINALLY, after three MAJOR storms- this year, the darn thing bloomed. It looked weaker and more frail than ever, but there it was, a lovely full blossom. We never did anything to ours either, but it appears to have had all it needed. If you find out what kind of fertilizer they might like, please post!

It is not just that it wasn't blooming - it is actually dying. The leaves are falling off. It looks terrible. I will be broken hearted if it dies. I keep trying to save it. I just used regular miracle grow - it did not help. I am watering every day unless it rains. feeding every 2 weeks. poor thing looks like it needs ICU for plants.

Respected Contributor

HH may be you need the miracle grow that has the acid in it. My hydrenga (SP) bush we feed it that mireacid or what ever it is called. All my neighbors have lilac bushes and they all bloomed this year but mine didn't. It seemed like it was going to get flowers on it then it got cold and away went the flowers. I have actually taken a chain saw and cut my lilac bushes down to the ground and let then start growing all over again. I bet in the 53 years I have been here those bushes have been ground level 10 or 15 times and they always grow back and they are much fuller. Some kind of a summer we are having it has been a real thrill mowing grass twice a week and watching rain falling. Usually by now I was lucky if I had any grass to mow it was already dried up not this year it is as green now as it was in April. Hope your having some good days while your up here.

Honored Contributor
I have a huge lilac bush about 9 ft tall and 8ft wide that was here when I bought the place 15 years ago. With our severe drought I've never watered it, fed it, or pruned it. It blooms profusely every spring. Maybe you're killing it with kindness?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor
On 8/3/2014 cater said:

HH may be you need the miracle grow that has the acid in it. My hydrenga (SP) bush we feed it that mireacid or what ever it is called. All my neighbors have lilac bushes and they all bloomed this year but mine didn't. It seemed like it was going to get flowers on it then it got cold and away went the flowers. I have actually taken a chain saw and cut my lilac bushes down to the ground and let then start growing all over again. I bet in the 53 years I have been here those bushes have been ground level 10 or 15 times and they always grow back and they are much fuller. Some kind of a summer we are having it has been a real thrill mowing grass twice a week and watching rain falling. Usually by now I was lucky if I had any grass to mow it was already dried up not this year it is as green now as it was in April. Hope your having some good days while your up here.

This has been a bad trip home in many ways - among them the weather. We were just saying today that if it gets cold early as we kinda expect it to we are going home to Fl early this year. A lot of death and illness in the family over the summer so far.

Honored Contributor
The lilac likely didn't bloom this year due to a cold snap. I got to enjoy lilac blooms for only 3 days before a late frost nipped them (southern WV). Japanese beetles pull the life out of flowers and shrubs if they are not sprayed, or dusted, quickly. I would leave the lilac alone at this point, and let it adjust on its own. Unless the lilac is planted in an area where it is standing in water, I have never had a lilac to be affected by excess rain. I would check for any new growth on the plant from this year, but would leave it alone and see what it does in the spring.
Honored Contributor

Maybe too much watering. I am in a drought now, but even before, most of mine don't get water until the rainy season, and always have lush growth and blooms.