Guaranteed Delivery
119 Members and 15536 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

Baked Lima Beans

Started 1272569769.16 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1273121132.65 by Suzy Q

Looking for a Baked Lima bean recipe using bacon,ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, molasses etc.

TIA JG

Page 1 of 1
Local1272570386.161512 PostsRegistered 5/21/2006

You pretty much have the recipe right there in what you posted.  I always use the canned butter beans.  Drain and save liquid from two of the cans.  The third goes with the juice into a deepish baking dish along with the other two drained cans.  Fry up whatever amount of bacon you want.  Drain some grease if too much and saute a chopped onion. when done put all that into the beans.  I never measure the rest of the stuff.  One good squirt of ketchup, one of spicey mustard, a couple tablespoons of molasses and I start with about 1/4 cup of brown sugar.  Mix that all together with the beans.  Taste the sauce.  If it's got the right balance for you then it's done.  You may decide you need more brown sugar or a little more mustard. If it seems a bit too thick before it's baked then add some of the drained liquid a little at a time.  I bake for around 45 min to 1 hr. on 325 or until it has a nice thickness.

Talidog1272570397.5873763 PostsRegistered 8/9/2007Heart of Dixie

Yummy!  I'd love to have that recipe too....K  {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

War Eagle!

sue-p1272574060.6432825 PostsRegistered 8/11/2008minnesota

Local,

Thanks for posting the directions to your bean casserole.  I think I can make it by following your suggestions. 

I really like those big butter beans but are they considered lima beans?   I think of the little green beans that are shaped the same as the butter beans.   I don't know...thy have a similar shape so maybe they are the same family of bean.

Susan

sue-p

Local1272574388.631512 PostsRegistered 5/21/2006

sue-p, I do think the butter beans are a type of lima, just a lighter color.  I really love those tiny baby limas but think they have a more distinct flavor that wouldn't go with being 'baked'.  Funny though because I pretty much got the recipe from an aunt who also didn't measure and it only takes a couple times of making it before you get it exactly the way you like it.

sue-p1272576536.8172825 PostsRegistered 8/11/2008minnesota

TiaJG,

I just spent some time typing up a recipe for a casserole that includes lima beans and about 6 other beans, with bacon, onions, garlic , brown sugar and molasses.   Is that the recipe that you want?  We called it calico bean casserole because it uses red, white, green and brown beans.  Very good looking and very good tasting.  If you want the recipe I will type it again after dinner.   Let me know if that is what you are looking for.  

I don't know why that post would not enter.  It makes me so mad when I spent quite a bit of time on it              {#emotions_dlg.angry}           Susan

Last edited on 4/29/2010

Last edited on 4/29/2010

sue-p

Chuckr1272578527.941162 PostsRegistered 1/2/2008Denver area

More info on 'Butter beans' = Lima beans:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter_beans

Some 'Cut & paste' from there:

Like many other legumes, Lima beans are a good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. It lowers cholesterol and its high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising too rapidly after a meal, while providing virtually fat free high quality protein. It is a good choice for people with diabetes suffering with insulin resistance. Lima beans can help balance blood sugar levels while providing steady, slow-burning energy.

Lima beans may reduce the medical dosage needed to combat cholesterol in the form of natural food.

Limas are a good source of protein and you can replace red meat with lima beans plus brown rice or whole wheat pasta.

For sue-p, who likes the unusual, click on "MP-3" on the (4. Butter beans):  {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

http://www.floridamemory.com/Collections/folklife/folklife_cd2.cfm

tiny 21272579037.963452 PostsRegistered 12/5/2007

Here is sue-p's recipe. I hope you are not retyping sue-p.

This is a favorite recipe for a one dish meal.

Calico Beans Hot Dish

1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 pound bacon
1 (15oz.) can red kidney beans, drained
1 (15 oz.) can butter beans,drained
1 (15 oz.) can C-H-I-C-K PEAS (garbanzo beans),drained
1 (15 oz.) can great northern beans,drained
1 small can lima beans,drained
1 large(31oz.) can pork and beans, UNdrained
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup ketsup
2 tbsp. mustard (not dried)
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. vinegar

Brown ground beef and saute onion; drain. Put in medium roaster along with all of the beans. Dice the bacon and saute it.
Put in the roaster with the beans and mix all together very well.

Mix ketsup, mustard, brown sugar and vinegar. Pour over the beans and meat; stir together. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or place in slow cooker and simmer for several hours, starting on HIGH and then turning down to LOW.

NOTE:
I have never made this in a slow cooker. I think it might be too wet. It works beautifully in the oven. Leftovers are terrific. Great at cookouts, pot lucks, picnics and with hamburgers, hot dogs and ham. It is even good at room temperature. Can be the main course because of the two meats. Carries well to parties and freezes very well.
sue-p/Susan

--
sue-p

--
Edited by sue-p at
12/28/20096:57 PM PST

formallyjg1272583628.371641 PostsRegistered 5/7/2008

Local.... Yes, you're right about having the ingredients. I'm using dried beans though and I'll be darned if I could find salt pork. Settled on thickly sliced smoked bacon from the deli. We are alike that we don't measure things. Kinda comical if one has a visual... pinch of this, handful of that etc. etc.

Sue.... In the delis I frequent, the flag in the bowl describes the beans as "Baked Limas". Now if I were to ask what kind of beans they were, they'd probably look at me like I had 3 heads. There is a difference between the 2 types. I will make your recipe but I need to restock. "Sir Picky" will not give me a problem 'cause he likes bean dishes. Yeah!

Chuckr... Good to see you and appreciate your info. BTW I had to listen to the song and it made me want to make some cornbread to eat with the beans.

Tiny2.... Thanks for taking the time to post Sue's recipe. I'm sure she's glad you had it in your files.

Have a great evening !

sue-p12725995582825 PostsRegistered 8/11/2008minnesota

tiny 2,

Thanks for posting that recipe.  I am glad that you had it in your file and that your file is well organized so you could share it when necessary!   Cool    Now, I am going to have to make it.   It sounds so good and I haven't made it since last summer.

Chuckr,

You really made my day with that folksy song, Butter Beans!   I  had a good laugh from it.
Like tiny2, I think I need some cornbread, too.

The info about lima beans is very interesting.  It sounds like my husband should be eating lima beans 3 x a week.  He has both of the problems that were mentioned as being helped by eating the beans: diabetes and high cholesterol,  I am going to start collecting lima recipes tomorrow.  I like them and it would be good for me, too.  Who knew how great those little green "ears" are.............Smile        Susan 4/29/10

sue-p

CountryMus­icGal1272895579.793185 PostsRegistered 5/27/2009

Tiny-2 & sue-P:  I want to make your baked lima bean casserole with the ground beef . . . . but that sounds like A LOT of beans!  Does it make a huge casserole??

doglover31272941011.839967 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
This is mine from a good friend, hope you like it: It is so good and so easy, always turns out well.

BILL'S BAKED BEANS

Soak one lb. of beans overnight-drain and cook well till soft;
In crockpot put beans and
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of molasses
1/2 lb. raw bacon
COOK ALL DAY
We prefer the limas but use whatever you like best

sue-p1272942273.0572825 PostsRegistered 8/11/2008minnesota

CountryMusicGirl,

Yes, it does make a large amount. Probably enough for the family reunion.  I use my largest casserole and worry about it running over in the oven!  I think it is a 3 quart casserole.  It is juicy mix when it goes into the pan but it thickens up a bit as it bakes.  If you are in doubt, make it in 2 casseroles.    Susan   5/3/10

Last edited on 5/3/2010

Last edited on 5/3/2010

sue-p

formallyjg1272999785.8831641 PostsRegistered 5/7/2008

I used the recipe (below) as a basis for beans that I made this past weekend. I used small dried limas, almost a 1/2 lb. of thick deli sliced bacon, dijon mustard, and I did not use the Majic Dust recipe.  I substituted a cajun spice blend ( 1 Tablespoon) that contained almost all of the ingredients listed in the dust recipe. The ingredients that were not in the cajun blend I added separate. I finished these off in a low temp crockpot. This was not difficult and could be prepared in advance steps. I will definately make these again!

Judy Mills's From-Scratch Baked Beans Recipe

http://homecooking.about.com/od/vegetablerecipes/r/blv308.htm

1 pound dried great northern beans
4 to 6 slices bacon
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup molasses
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 Tablespoons Magic Dust spice mix (see link below for recipe)

Place the beans in a large saucepan and cover with salted water by 2 to 3 inches. Soak the beans overnight.

The next day, drain and rinse the beans. Return the beans to the saucepan and cover with fresh water by about 4 inches. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until the beans are tender but not bursting open.

While the beans are cooking, mix the ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, chili powder, and Magic Dust together in a large bowl.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon. Drain the bacon on paper towels, crumble it, and set aside. Add the onion and garlic to the bacon drippings and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. The onion should still be a little crunchy.

Drain the beans, reserving 2 cups of the bean water. Pour the beans and bean water into the bowl with the sauce. Add the bacon and onion and stir to combine well. Pour into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish and bake for 1 hour or until bubbly.

Baked beans will keep, refrigerated, for up to 1 week.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings

Magic Dust Spice Mix Recipe
http://homecooking.about.com/od/spicerecipes/r/blspice37.htm

1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons mustard powder
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup ground cumin
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1/4 cup granulated garlic
2 tablespoons cayenne

Mix paprika, kosher salt, sugar, mustard powder, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, garlic, and cayenne together and store in a tightly covered container.

Chef's Note: To make it a little more hot and spicy, increase the mustard powder and black pepper to 1/4 cup each.

Yield: about 2-1/2 cups

New nic~ same JG

Last edited on 5/4/2010

Last edited on 5/4/2010

doglover31273110115.889967 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I am very sorry, I didn't notice the work baked lima beans so gave the one for the crockpot I always use, glad others posted.

tawnyPa1273110923.523052 PostsRegistered 8/20/2007Pennsylvania

My gran taught me how to make them, then mom did, always use butter beans, if you can't find them, white northern work also.  I don't have exact measurements either, I just know I use 3/4 pd bacon, normally micro it then use crock pot for all.  Chop onion, ketchup, brown sugar, pinch salt and pepper, dijon mustard, a little water, and a few tablespoons of bbq sauce and cook.  I used to make them in oven before crock pot.  Always delicious and yummy.   take care tawny

the one and only tawny from 10/6/04 and a lot of lost posts!!

Suzy Q1273121132.65268 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
HOBO BEANS

1 lb Bacon--cook until crisp
1 lb Ground Beef
1 large Onion chopped........brown these last 2 ingredients

Add to.........
2 cans Pork & Beans
2 cans Butter Beans...drained
2 cans Kidney Beans......drained
2 cups Catsup
2 cups Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Yellow Mustard
2 Tbsp. Vinegar

Bake at 350 degrees until thick.

(Just cut everything in half if you want to make a smaller casserole)

Page 1 of 1