Super Contributor

An Easy Vegetable Lo Mein Recipe

Anyone have an easy and tasty lo mein recipe?

I am not familiar with a lot of asian ingredients, of course I know soy sauce, oyster sauce, but some recipes have ingredients I can't find or don't know much about like Sriracha.

I love lo mein, but hate how salty it can be in a restaurant. I would appreciate any easy recipes that are easy to follow and not full of fancy and hard to find ingredients.

Thanks so much!

Respected Contributor

Re: An Easy Vegetable Lo Mein Recipe

Siracha is Asian hot sauce. It is generally in the Asia section of your store, but may also be in the hot sauce section of your condiments.

Contributor

Siracha is made in California from peppers grown in calif.

Super Contributor

Siracha is probably too hot for my taste. Usually when I order lo mein in the restaurants, it's more on the sweet side than hot side.

I think what I really need is a good Chinese brown sauce recipe. I found one on line that adds beef broth with soy sauce and cornstarch and garlic.

Some even say add sugar to soy sauce and add cornstarch for thickness.

Respected Contributor

You can do it like I do my fried rice. I cook my rice (noodle in this case), stir fry my meat of choice, if any, that is marinated in Asian sauce of choice, till done, and remove. I then stir fry my veggies till tender crisp, add the rice/noodles, any sauce I want, an egg if I want, and last add the meat to warm and cover in sauce. I use just a squirt of Siracha for a bit of spice; it is minimal. I also stir fry with sesame oil or chili infused oil and use fish sauce regardless of what I main sauce I use. I found this sweet chili sauce at my local grocery store that I like. It works well when I want a change from my soy sauce based/teryaki sauces. You can use rice noodles or regular noodles.

I also buy mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and other Asian style veggies in the Asian section.

Super Contributor

On 4/6/2015 tigriss said:

You can do it like I do my fried rice. I cook my rice (noodle in this case), stir fry my meat of choice, if any, that is marinated in Asian sauce of choice, till done, and remove. I then stir fry my veggies till tender crisp, add the rice/noodles, any sauce I want, an egg if I want, and last add the meat to warm and cover in sauce. I use just a squirt of Siracha for a bit of spice; it is minimal. I also stir fry with sesame oil or chili infused oil and use fish sauce regardless of what I main sauce I use. I found this sweet chili sauce at my local grocery store that I like. It works well when I want a change from my soy sauce based/teryaki sauces. You can use rice noodles or regular noodles.

I also buy mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and other Asian style veggies in the Asian section.

Great ideas!! I never thought of a chili based sauce (like what you might use for shrimp cocktails). Good idea. I think I will get some sesame oil to start and see how that tastes.

Thanks for the good suggestions!

Respected Contributor

It doesn't take much sesame seed oil, so don't treat it like olive oil. Just a splash is enough. Stir frying isn't heavy with the oil. I just went to the Asian sauce isle and bought what sounded good. I like a touch of heat, but not chugging water heat, so I just use less of hot sauces. I even put siracha in my pimento cheese when I want a kick or use jalapenos or horse radish for a bit of a kick.

Honored Contributor

1 bag of Flav-R-Pac Lo Mein Vegetables. Nuke 10-12 mins. Drain. Sprinkle with lime ponzu.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

going to post some I got from the ladies on this board

<h1>VEGETABLE LO MEIN posted by DiAnne</h1>

8 oz whole wheat spaghetti noodles, cooked per directions
1/2 t sesame oil
2 T hoisin sauce
1 T low sodium soy sauce
1 T canola or peanut oil (divided)
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup red bell pepper, sliced
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
2 green onions, scallions chopped
1/2 cup fresh mung-bean sprouts
1/2 T fresh ginger, minced
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 T fresh cilantro, chopped (divided) or dried parsley if it is all you have

Cook noodles in salted water per instructions for al dente, don’t over cook. Drain and mix with the sesame oil. Combine hoisin and soy sauce in small bowl.

Heat 1/2 T oil in large skillet over med high heat. Add the mushrooms, carrot, bell pepper, red onion - cook stirring often until softened (2-4 minutes). Add leftover meat or canned shrimp if using. Add the ginger and garlic and cook stirring constantly for one minute. Remove from skillet to bowl.

Add the other 1/2 T canola oil to the skillet and add the noodles. Cook, stirring often, for 3-5 minutes or until brown. Pour the hoisin sauce onto the noodles followed by the veggies, bean sprouts and 1/2 of the cilantro. Stir until evenly combined. Put into serving dish and sprinkle with remaining cilantro.

NOTE:

instead of spaghetti noodles, try a couple of pkgs. ramen noodles and add the dry spice mix with the vegetables. try one pkg. first as it tends to be salty. i like to squeeze a fresh lemon on it at the end. posted by ranna

Respected Contributor

Quick Shrimp Lo Mein FunkyHulaG­irl

1 (8 ounce) package regular spaghetti noodles( I usually use 16 ounces, full box)

2 teaspoon sesame or peanut oil

3/4 cup water or low sodium chicken or vegetable broth

1/4 to 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 tablespoon oyster sauce

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 pound medium shrimp - peeled, deveined, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces(can also use 4 to 6 cans of cooked shrimp, drained)

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

3/4 cup sliced green bell pepper

3/4 cup chopped celery

3/4 cup broccoli florets

3/4 cup snap peas

1/2 cup onion slices

1/2 cup shredded cabbage

3 cloves garlic, minced

Directions

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in the boiling water until cooked al dente yet firm to the bite; drain. Toss with sesame or peanut oil in a bowl to coat.

Mix water, soy sauce, cornstarch, oyster sauce, and ground ginger into a sauce a small bowl.

Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Cook and stir shrimp in hot oil until pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove shrimp from skillet to a bowl and return pan to heat.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in the pan. Cook and stir bell pepper, celery, broccoli, snap peas, onion, cabbage, and garlic in oil until slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Pour prepared sauce over vegetable mixture; stirring continually, bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, 30 to 45 seconds. Return shrimp to the pan; cook 1 minute more. Add drained pasta; toss to coat.