Esteemed Contributor

Tex-Mex Bean Salad with Sweet and Sour Dressing

We've enjoyed this bean salad for years. You really must make this bean salad to truly get a sense of how darn good it is. It goes well with any meat/bar-b-que dish or can be your contribution to a buffet. Enjoy!

Rated: OMG - Good!

Tex-Mex Three Bean Salad

This is a fabulous bean salad, worth the soaking and cooking. Source: Lane Publishing, "Sunset Magazine," Early 80s.

½ c dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight

½ c black beans, soaked overnight

½ c dried navy beans (white beans), soaked overnight

½ green bell pepper, cored, seeded & diced

½ red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced

2 celery stalks, trimmed and diced

1/3 c sliced radishes

Dressing (sweet & sour):

½ lb bacon slices (Applewood smoked is best!)

½ c finely chopped scallions

6 Tbs water

¼ c sugar

1 Tbs cornstarch

Salt and pepper

Drain the beans and put them in separate saucepans. Cover with fresh cold water & bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, then simmer until the beans are tender: 1-4 hours, depending on the variety of bean (red kidney beans take 50 minutes and should be boiled for 10 minutes, then drained and fresh water added; black beans take up to 4 hours; navy bean take about 1.25 hours). When ready, drain. Cover and allow to cool to room temperature.

Dressing: Cook the bacon slices until crisp and rendered of fat. Drain the bacon slices on paper towels; reserve 2-3 Tbs of the bacon fat in the skillet. Add the scallions to the skillet and cook until softened. Mix together the vinegar, water, sugar and cornstarch, stirring to dissolve the cornstarch, and add to the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring, and simmer until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Put beans in a bowl and add the peppers, celery and radishes. Pour the hot dressing over the beans and gently toss together. Crumble the bacon and sprinkle on top. Best served warm.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tex-Mex Bean Salad with Sweet and Sour Dressing

Sounds really good - thanks for posting!
Honored Contributor

No exactly lo-cal or low-fat but it sounds absolutely scrumptious. I wonder if the beans could be cooked together in a pressure cooker or even use canned?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/31/2015 Kachina624 said: No exactly lo-cal or low-fat but it sounds absolutely scrumptious. I wonder if the beans could be cooked together in a pressure cooker or even use canned?

Hi Kachina,

You're right - it's the bacon - but it's a dish I make perhaps twice a year, so don't feel too guilty.

I've not tried cooking them together in a pressure cooker, but do know that various beans have different densities, skins, etc., so different cooking times. I did try it once some years ago with canned beans and the overall effect was: (1) very salty; and, (2) mushy. If cooked with dried beans, the salad doesn't get mushy. Hope this helps.