Trusted Contributor

What Makes Your Perfect Tossed Salad?

When you're making a salad as a meal rather than a side salad, what makes it perfect for you? My "must haves" are radishes (just not a salad without radishes) and garbanzo beans plus black olives. I had a salad craving yesterday, and here's what I used:

Iceberg Lettuce
Baby Spinach
Fresh Express Red and Green Butter Lettuce

Black olives, cut in half lengthwise
Garbanzo Beans, drained
Fresh Baby Portabella Mushrooms, sliced
Fresh Sugar Snap Peas, cut in pieces
Radishes, thin sliced then slices cut in half
Crinkle Cut Carrot Slices, cut in pieces
Broccoli Florets cut in small pieces

For a dressing I tried a bottle of "Olive Garden Signature Italian Dressing" which was perfect for this salad -- light and tangy but not oily.

I like onions, either red or sweet Vidalia, but they aren't essential for salad perfection. I don't like green pepper or cucumber in my salad.

When I buy salad ingredients, I have to eat a LOT of salad before it all goes bad. This was a salad I looked forwarding to eating again the next day. I'd like to hear what makes salad perfection for you?

Honored Contributor

Re: What Makes Your Perfect Tossed Salad?

a field green salad......

assorted field greens and arugula

candied pecans or walnuts

cherub tomatoes

raspberries or granny smith apples or dried cranberries

small chunks of feta cheese (bulgarian or french) or goat cheese or shaved parmesan

red onions, thinly sliced

baby cucumbers

a hard boiled egg

homemade croutons or wonton strips

.....this salad is good all by itself or you can add a sliced grilled chicken breast or steamed shrimp.

raspberry vinaigrette OR a homemade champagne vinaigrette.

this salad looks best if you dont toss it, but serve it on a shallow plate or platter and strategically place your items so that they can all be seen.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

sunshine45, that sounds wonderful. My favorite restaurant serves a platter-sized Greek salad with feta cheese and the option of sliced grilled chicken breast on top. The combination of warm chicken with tangy greens is a delight to bite! I like the idea of shrimp, too. Thanks!

Frequent Contributor

I enjoy a salad nearly every weekday for lunch. I like to include iceberg lettuce and spinach, craisins, turkey deli meat, shredded pepper jack and colby cheese, and croutons. It's not necessarily low-cal, but it keeps me going all afternoon and gives me some vitamins. I try to go easy on the cheese and croutons, but they do make it yummy!

I chop and wash lettuce every Sunday, and while I don't enjoy it, a salad for lunch is one less thing for me to have to decide during the busy work week.

Honored Contributor

I also make a big batch of salad almost every Sunday. My favorite thing is my homemade dressing with olive oil, a tart component (lemon juice, apple, sherry vinegar, champagne vinegar or balsamic), sweet (honey or a tiny bit of sugar or fruit juice), dijon mustard, and sometimes gralic, herbs, buttermilk, yogurt, or even a little mayo or cream.

I put whatever I think I've not been getting enough of: dark greens, carrots, ground flax seeds, fruit, kidney or black beans etc. etc.

Trusted Contributor

Homemade salad dressing. Always.

If I am making a salad as a meal, I like a Salad Niçoise: tuna, hard boiled eggs, boiled new potatoes, green beans, olives, and tomatoes with a vinaigrette.

I also like roasted vegetables (acorn squash, beets, carrots, parsnips, leeks, sweet potatoes) served warm with dollops of goat cheese on a bed of mesclun with vinaigrette.

Esteemed Contributor

Romaine hearts or baby spinach (never iceberg)

hard boiled eggs

sliced ham or bacon bits

red onion

cherry tomatoes

shredded cheddar

garbanzo beans

black olives

blue cheese dressing

Honored Contributor

I always have to have a sweet fruit...orange, apple chucks, dried cranberries. Also it HAS to be chopped into little pieces...don't need as much dressing.

Honored Contributor

My favorite additions are dried cranberries and some breaded chicken nuggets heated up and cut into small pieces.

Valued Contributor

On 3/30/2015 AuntG said:

My favorite additions are dried cranberries and some breaded chicken nuggets heated up and cut into small pieces.

yum yum, I do this too and also add in hard boiled eggs for protein.