Honored Contributor

Hummingbird Cake

Makes 12-16 servings, Recipe comes from Silver Dollar City, Branson, Mo.

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 1/2 cups flour

1 t. baking soda

1/4 t. salt

1/4 t. ground cinnamon

1 8 oz. can crushed pineapple in juice, drained

1/2 cup cooking oil

4 eggs, lightly beaten

1 t. vanilla

1 cup chopped bananas

1 cup chunky style applesauce

2/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted

Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)

1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted

Grease and lightly flour two 9 x 1 1/2" round cake pans; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add pineapple, oil, eggs and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer till combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in bananas, applesauce and walnuts. Divide batter between prepared pans.

Bake in a 350* oven 35 minutes or until tip springs back when lightly touched. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool thoroughly.

Frost cake. Lightly press pecans into sides of cake. Sprinkle top with additional finely chopped pecans.

Cream Cheese Frosting

In a large bowl, beat 1 8 oz. package cream cheese (softened), 1/2 cup butter (softened) and 1 t. vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually add approx. 2 cups powdered sugar, beating until smooth.

This is another old recipe I found while going through some recipes I have made, this one is very tasty. If you make it, let me know how it turned out for you. Hope you enjoy.

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

I've heard of Hummingbird Cake but never looked at a recipe. This sounds delicious... think I will definitely have to try it!

Occasional Contributor

They have a recipe and a picture for this on the King Arthur Flour web-site. I was never quite sure what it looked like! You can get a lot of great recipes off their site. Not to mention that their prodcuts are fantastic as well.

Honored Contributor

Love Hummingbird Cake!

Super Contributor

I just made this cake using the Southern Living recipe. Wow! what a cake! What I found most interesting was baking the bananas before peeling them. You get a ""deeper"" banana flavor. My friend also used the Southern Living recipe and loved it too. This cake serves 16. I froze about 1/4 of mine and it worked well.

Honored Contributor

I tried to post a picture with the recipe, but for some strange unknown reason, my computer would not let me. I make a 2 layer one (haven't made one in years but still remember how good it was), but it can be made into 3-4 layers or even in a bundt pan as well. Not sure on the bake time for a bundt pan, but I'm sure you could google for that info.

Honored Contributor
On 3/26/2015 little miss sunshine said:

I just made this cake using the Southern Living recipe. Wow! what a cake! What I found most interesting was baking the bananas before peeling them. You get a "deeper" banana flavor. My friend also used the Southern Living recipe and loved it too. This cake serves 16. I froze about 1/4 of mine and it worked well.

That is interesting, I'll have to look up the Southern Living recipe to see how that is done. Thanks for the tip.

Super Contributor

From now on when I make a recipe that calls for bananas, I'm baking them first! In the peel, 12 minutes or until the peel turns black. What a difference!

Contributor

Does anyone think this could be done in a bundt pan?

Honored Contributor

Retta Jo, sorry I just now saw your post. Yes it can be made in a bundt pan, (see my post #5), but I don't know how long it would need to bake. Probably could find an answer for that by googling it. HTH