Esteemed Contributor

I am fixing an Escarole/Turkey Meatball Soup in my crockpot today...I didn't have any homemade chicken stock or vegetable stock available and have never used store bought chicken stock but, in desperation, picked up Emerill's Organic Chicken Stock to use and give a try.

I don't know?...It has a milky look to it ( prefer a clear stock) and I can easily be turned off from these boxed products as it is...It sounded healthy, so I went for it!

So, I'm hoping that there are some posters on here who are familiar with and have used Emerill's Organic Chicken Stock or any other stock of his and can make me feel a whole lot better that my usually delicious Soup will come out just fine, as it is too late to do anything about it now!

Thanks so much for any replies!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Store Bought Chicken Stock

I make my own with organic chicken and organic veggies and it is so clear I can't believe I used to do nonorganic. Look at the ingredients and see if it has coloring or flavoring, that may be the reason.
===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I haven't used that one so I can't judge it, but I can tell you that I only use Swanson All Natural 33% Less Sodium No MSG Added canned or boxed broth.

You might check the ingredients for MSG, lots of canned broths contain it. Some folks are ok with it, but for me, it causes bloating, fluid retention and migraines.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

I looked at the ingredients online for his "all natural" chicken stock and it is just flavored water. Organic flavored water, but flavored water. What are the ingredients in you'd?
===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

For the recipe you are making I would be more inclined to use boxed chicken broth.

I have both stock and broth in my pantry but use them for different things.

Esteemed Contributor

VaBelle35 & betteb...Okay, I just rechecked the ingredients list again and it all looks good...everything is organic...no colorings, MSG, etc...last ingredient is organic chicken fat, so that is the only ingredient I can think that is giving it the milky look to it...although the total fat is only 0.5 g...so it all sounds good!

I also just took a peek inside the crockpot (it has been simmering for an hour now) and the consistency of the broth does appear better, as it cooks, and it actually smells pretty good...I do tend to get somewhat neurotic when it comes to what I cook with, and this is the first time I have used a boxed soup stock, so it is a new experience for me.

I just tend to be fussy with my cooking.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/25/2015 VaBelle35 said: I looked at the ingredients online for his "all natural" chicken stock and it is just flavored water. Organic flavored water, but flavored water. What are the ingredients in you'd?

Organic Chicken Stock (filtered water), Organic Chicken Flavor, Organic Chicken Broth, Sea Salt, Organic Carrot Juice Concentrate, Organic Cornstarch, Organic Tomato Paste, Organic Tumeric, Organic Spice, Organic Canola Oil, Organic Chicken Flavor, Organic Chicken Fat

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/25/2015 faeriemoon said:

For the recipe you are making I would be more inclined to use boxed chicken broth.

I have both stock and broth in my pantry but use them for different things.

I always considered them to be very much the same, so never really gave that a thought...Interesting...think I will google to check out the difference between both.

Frequent Contributor

I use Swanson. It is gluten free.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, everyone!

I will let you all know how it comes out tonight!