Super Contributor

Hoping you ladies can help me! I am having my very best friend come to visit and would like to make shrimp creole for dinner one evening HOWEVER I cannot find my tried and true recipe!!

does anyone have a great simple recipe that I can make ahead and freeze? Not too spicy?

And what would you serve with it? I was thinking a nice green salad and maybe cornbread or garlic bread??

Would love some of your suggestions!! TIA!!

Respected Contributor

I'll give you mine, note the instructions on freezing.

Med Can of diced tomatoes

chopped yellow onion

chopped clove of garlic

chopped stalk of celery

chopped half of a green pepper (dice small)

Creole Seasoning Mix (such as Paul Prud'homme )

Dash of white wine (optional)

Olive oil

Frozen or fresh shrimp, raw

This serves 2. You can increase it.

Saute the onion, celery and pepper dice in oil in a non stick pan. Add the garlic and soften. Then add the seasoning, about 1 tsp but you can vary this to taste. Stir in the white wine (about 1/4 cup, if you are using it) and let the alcohol boil off a bit. Add the tomatoes and simmer until the vegetables are very soft.

Correct seasoning. Does it need more pepper, cayenne? Creole seasoning? Taste and correct.

This is what you freeze.

But it's so fast, I don't know why you need to freeze it. It's about a half hour to cook it from scratch.

When ready to serve, you've made up white rice or brown rice (I use a rice cooker. Some people use boil in bag rice and some use Minute Rice but you know, I prefer a good Jasmine best of all, made fresh.)

Heat up the thawed sauce in a skillet. Peel six med shrimp per person and put them into the boiling sauce and cook on med until the shrimp turn pink, which won't take very long. Maybe four minutes, max. When shrimp are just done, plate rice in a cup measure to mold it on a plate or pasta type bowl, top with the Shrimp Creole.

Respected Contributor

I don't know about easy but this is how I do it. It's sort of a mix of all the recipes I searched for when I wanted some. The picture is a double batch when I made it for a crowd.

Mix 1/4 c flour with 1/8c oil. Brown the flour

Add:

1 chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped celery

1 chopped pepper

2 cloves minced garlic~ simmer until translucent

Add:

15 oz tomato sauce

15 oz diced tomatoes

2 cups broth

2 bay leaves

1 tsp cayenne

1 tsp paprika

Juice of one lemon

1 Tbs brown sugar

1 Tbs white sugar

Simmer and add 1-1/2 lbs shrimp the last 20 minutes before serving. I like the smallest raw shrimp I can find.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Contributor

That looks so good debc!