Honored Contributor

I got this recipe from the local co-op cooking class and they called it gumbo but it seems more like just soup to me but it is very good.

1/4 cup high-heat cooking oil
1/4 cup flour
1 med onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 t cayenne
3 bay leaves
1 large sprig of fresh thyme
4 cup chicken broth
1 (15-1/2 oz) diced tomatoes
1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 pound Andouille sausage (or other smoked sausage)

Warm oil over med heat in heavy pot. Add the flour and stir. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring constantly, to a deep brown/red color roux.

Add onion, bell pepper and celery to the pot and stir into the roux. Cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables have softened. Add garlic, cayenne, bay leaves and thyme, stir well and cook another 2 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes and chicken. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes. Add the sausage and cook uncovered for another 10 minutes.

The original recipe called for a 10 oz bag of frozen sliced okra added with the sausage which I did not use. Also the Andouille sausage I used was fully cooked so I only needed to reheat it. It can be served over rice if desired.

Occasional Contributor

Re: CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE GUMBO

Sounds delicious!! Gotta try this. Thanks!
Honored Contributor

Thanks DiAnne! I will enjoy this.

It is going back into the 20's for a few days...I am still making soups!

I may be making soups all summer long if it doesn't warm up ever!

Honored Contributor

Sounds similar to something DH makes. He always uses the Andouille sausage & some shrimp instead of chicken. He loves Gumbo & Jambalaya. DH does add the okra. He generally has some in the freezer from our garden.