Esteemed Contributor

For Cake Bakers: Wonderful Cake for Easter Sunday

This cake can be made 24-36 hours before serving and stored in the frig. It's light, so is a good accompaniment to a multicourse meal or buffet. You're sure to get many Ooos and Ahhhs.

Clementine Cake

This rich but light and luscious cake makes a sumptuous dessert and has its origins at Harrods of London. In America, we more commonly use canned mandarin oranges in the place of clementines. Great presentation.

1 c. unbleached flour, sifted, + 1 tsp flour

2 Tbs superfine sugar

1-3/4 c powdered sugar

6 large eggs separated, room temp

Finely grated zest of ½ orange

1 Tbs Grand Marnier

2 Tbs orange juice

¼ tsp salt

¾ c cane sugar

1/3 water, room temp

3 Tbs Grand Marnier

3 cans mandarin oranges, drained

3 c heavy whipping cream

1 tsp orange flower water

6 oz (1 c.) slivered almonds, toasted for super flavor; or not, if in a time pinch

Preheat oven to 325. Place rack in mid-oven position. Lightly grease three 9” cake pans. Dust with the extra tsp of flour and superfine sugar. Sift all but 2Tbs of the powdered sugar into a bowl & add the egg yolks. Beat until pale and thick enough to make a ribbon trail. Add the orange zest and gradually stir in 1 Tbs Grand Marnier and the orange juice. Fold in the flour.

Beat the egg whites with salt until stiff, but not dry, then beat in the reserved powdered sugar. Carefully fold in the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Pour into the prepared pans and bake 15 minutes. The cake is baked when a small skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn out into a wire rack and cool, upside down. *Advise do not proceed until the cakes are cool, so that no syrup issues develop

Once the layers have cooled, make the sugar syrup. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Boil for 4-5 minutes or until the temp reaches 225 degrees on a candy thermometer. Cool the syrup, then stir in the remaining Grand Marnier. Pour over the mandarin oranges.

*Before working on assembly, be sure to portion the whipped cream so that you have adequate amounts for between layers, decorating the top of the cake and spreading cream over the sides.

When the cakes are cold, brush the layers with syrup. Arrange the mandarins on the bottom and 2nd layers, keeping away from edges. Whip the cream, orange flower water and remaining superfine sugar together. Spread some of the cream over the bottom layer, second layer, then add the third/top cake layer. Arrange mandarins in concentric circles on the top layer and pipe on whipped cream in large stars, rosettes, or whatever tickles your fancy. Cover the sides with whipped cream and toss-press on almonds all around, covering the sides.

This cake rocks!

Trusted Contributor

Re: For Cake Bakers: Wonderful Cake for Easter Sunday

This sounds delicious!!! And different from the usual Easter desserts!

We're going out for an Easter buffet that offers desserts, so won't need a dessert for Easter but maybe I'll make this for my mother-in-law for Mother's Day!

Thanks for posting!

Valued Contributor

It does sound divine! I think I will make it for my three sons...because I love them! And they love to eat-lol!!

Not applicable

The recipe is really awesome and I am fond of cakes specially. I also love Bara brith cake as it is a fat free and also like it because it uses a grey tea in ingredients. I love tea and got a different variety of tea like Jasmine Green tea, Moroccan Mint tea, Ginger Pear tea and many more. One can see more variety of tea forte tea online.

Frequent Contributor

Sounds delicious!
New Contributor

SFnative, thanks for sharing -- this looks like a perfect Easter dessert! Could you clarify the superfine sugar ingredient and directions for using it? The recipe calls for 2 T of superfine sugar and says to use it to dust the pans and then later in the text, it calls for putting the superfine sugar in the whipped cream. Any clarification you can provide will be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Contributor

Wow! I will try this as well.

Thanks so much for sharing this""Yummyness"" with us!

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/19/2015 RomeandVenice said:

SFnative, thanks for sharing -- this looks like a perfect Easter dessert! Could you clarify the superfine sugar ingredient and directions for using it? The recipe calls for 2 T of superfine sugar and says to use it to dust the pans and then later in the text, it calls for putting the superfine sugar in the whipped cream. Any clarification you can provide will be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Hi RomeandVenice,

When you go down the baking aisle at the market you'll find several different kinds of sugar:

Cane sugar, "sugar" (which is made from beets and is not good for baking), light brown sugar, dark brown sugar, powdered sugar and superfine sugar.

Superfine sugar is extremely fine in its grit texture and usually comes in a box. If you don't find it at the market you normally shop at, try another market close by. One of them is bound to have it.

Though available online, I've never had to purchase it online, but I've always lived in major metropolitan areas where it is available.

The art of baking is very refined in Europe, so it's not uncommon to find superfine sugar as an ingredient because it blends much easier with shortening required in making cakes and also when creating frostings. There's nothing worse than standing around waiting for your cane sugar to proccess into the butter and not feel gritty any longer. It some times takes so long, the butter becomes overbeaten and warm.

Hope this helps.

p.s. You can use tangerines or clementines if available in your area instead of the canned mandarins.

New Contributor

Thanks for responding so quickly, sfnative. I now realize that I didn't word my question with enough clarity. . .hoping you can clarify the amount of superfine sugar to use for dusting the pans and the amount of superfine sugar to use in making the whipped cream. The ingredients list calls for 2 Tablespoons of superfine sugar. The first part of the directions call for using the superfine sugar to dust the baking pans. Later in the directions it says to "use the remaining superfine sugar" for making the whipped cream. So, is the superfine sugar a divided ingredient where you use part of that 2 Tablespoons for pan dusting and part of it for the whipped cream? I really want to make it correctly when I try it; thanks for your patience!

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/20/2015 RomeandVenice said:

Thanks for responding so quickly, sfnative. I now realize that I didn't word my question with enough clarity. . .hoping you can clarify the amount of superfine sugar to use for dusting the pans and the amount of superfine sugar to use in making the whipped cream. The ingredients list calls for 2 Tablespoons of superfine sugar. The first part of the directions call for using the superfine sugar to dust the baking pans. Later in the directions it says to "use the remaining superfine sugar" for making the whipped cream. So, is the superfine sugar a divided ingredient where you use part of that 2 Tablespoons for pan dusting and part of it for the whipped cream? I really want to make it correctly when I try it; thanks for your patience!

And, I apologize for misunderstanding.

I went back to my recipe sheet, the directions of which I had transferred from the Harrods baking book I purchased at their store in London. This recipe was typed in Word, then printed out and placed in a sheet protector. What I failed to do when placing the recipe on this site was to go to my big binder with the recipe in the sheet protector. What I did instead, was go into Word, then cut and pasted. By doing so, I missed out on my hand-written notes which are on the back of the hard-copy recipe in my binder.

My hand written notes indicate the following:

1. To dust pans, increase superfine sugar to at least 3 Tbs. (depends on how much shortening and what kind of flour is used. Less sugar may be required.)

2. Superfine sugar for whipping cream: 1 Tbs + 1 tsp

3. Major change in method: Place mandarin oranges in place on top of cake, THEN make sugar syrup, after which brush onto mandarin oranges in place. If using fresh tangerines or clementines, pour the sugar syrup over the citrus as indicated.

RomeandVenice,

I made the notes above, after having made this cake a number of times and found that when pouring the sugar syrup onto the mandarins, they turned into a big glop. I'm absolutely embarrassed now that I cut and pasted without referencing my hard copy with notes.

This really is a marvelous cake visually and in taste. I hope you're able to make and enjoy it.