Esteemed Contributor

It's time for Irish Soda Bread!

About 8 years ago, I purchased a pretty stonework Irish soda bread baking dish from the "Isabella Catalog." The inside bottom of the dish has beautiful Celtic knots and designs and a one dimensional Claddagh (sp?) stylized bracelet embracing a recipe for Irish Soda Bread.

Though I've had many Irish Soda Breads over the years, the simplicity and moistness of this version just hits home. Everyone I've made it for, even my picky husband, really likes it, so I thought I thought it worthy of sharing with all of the savvy bakers and cooks on this forum. Enjoy!

Irish Soda Bread

Imprinted on the inside bottom of the dish purchased from “Isabella” Catalog

3-1/2 c flour

2/3 c sugar

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

1-1/2 c raisins

1-1/3 c buttermilk

2 beaten eggs

4 Tbs melted butter

½ tsp vanilla

1 Tbs caraway seeds (optional): not the same without these seeds

1. Mix dry ingredients.

2. Mix liquid ingredients.

3. Mix together 1 and 2 until well blended.

4. Grease and flour Irish soda dish, cookie sheet, or 8” cake pan.

5. If a cookie sheet, form the dough into a nice mound and smooth with a metal spatula or knife.

6. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

Note: We have a gas oven and an Irish soda dish an interior diameter of 7.25”, so mine baked for 50 minutes.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: It's time for Irish Soda Bread!

awesome! Thank you!!

I bought a mix from Aldi's. I couldn't find a loaf anywhere.

imho Aldi's mix is horrible.

I look forward to making this one.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/14/2015 Mary Bailey said:

awesome! Thank you!!

I bought a mix from Aldi's. I couldn't find a loaf anywhere.

You're most welcome, Mary!

Contributor

I love the American Irish Soda Bread that is on King Arthur Flour website. It is made in a loaf pan. So good! I have made it three times already.
Honored Contributor

I'm going to try making this GF on Monday.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/14/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I would REALLY appreciate knowing what flour or combinations of flours you substitue for AP flour in this recipe, as I've antigens to gluten, so must now eat GF.

(I purchased King Arthur's All Purpose GF Flour and it was quite dreadful - at least on my end, and I'm an experienced baker.)

Thanks so much in advance.

Super Contributor

sfnative, I have never made Irish Soda bread in my life, but I made your recipe yesterday for dinner. Thank you so very much for posting it...it was amazing!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/18/2015 poppinfresh said:

sfnative, I have never made Irish Soda bread in my life, but I made your recipe yesterday for dinner. Thank you so very much for posting it...it was amazing!!!!

Hi poppinfresh,

So glad you enjoyed the bread. It's quite different than other breads, but so lovely with the moistness of the buttermilk and bit of tang with the carraway seeds.

Yesterday, I set up the dry and wet ingrediendt on a towel on top of the coffee table, so that my 17th month old granddaughter and I could make this together. Well, she started out by eating and eating and eating the plumped raisins. LOL! Then we made our fingerprints in the dry ingredients, then got the batter into the soda bread dish, then into the oven, which GD kept reminding me was "HOT, HOT, HOT - Oma." When her Mom brought it onto the dinner table and after everyone had had a piece, my GD started pushing the surface rasins into the bread with her little pointer finger! LOL! What fun!

Honored Contributor

On 3/14/2015 sfnative said:
On 3/14/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I would REALLY appreciate knowing what flour or combinations of flours you substitue for AP flour in this recipe, as I've antigens to gluten, so must now eat GF.

(I purchased King Arthur's All Purpose GF Flour and it was quite dreadful - at least on my end, and I'm an experienced baker.)

Thanks so much in advance.

We started getting interested in GF eating last summer. We're not 100% converted yet, but becoming more aware all the time and trying or best. I stumbled on a packaged flour blend by Namaste at Costco one day and thought I'd give it a shot for Texas Sheet Cake since blending flours and adding other things just seemed to be such a monkey business, not to mention costly. We have family who have completely adopted a GF and sugar free (as much as possible) diet. One of my niece's favorite things in life is my Texas Sheet Cake. Her mother (my sister) can follow the exact same recipe and my niece will know the difference of who made it. Granted you can't do much about the sugar content, but she was both thrilled and impressed with the results when I used the Namaste Flour Blend. I've continued to buy that and have been using whenever a recipe calls for flour. It measures cup for cup.

Trusted Contributor

My neighbor/friend just baked some with her granddaughter and brought us a warm, freshly baked loaf last night! {#emotions_dlg.wub}