Honored Contributor

Recipe from Penzey's catalog, I haven't actually made this yet, but plan to soon. Sorry, can't say it is tried and true.

Coconut Cream Layer Cake

Prep time 30 minutes Baking time 25 minutes Serves 20-22

Cake:
1 cup (2 sticks butter), room temperature
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 cup sweetened cream of coconut (usually in the ethnic, baking, or cocktail making sections)
5 large eggs, separated
1 t. vanilla
2 1/4 cup cake flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
1 cup chopped pecans

Frosting:
2 8 oz. pkgs. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup sweetened cream of coconut
1 t. vanilla
1/2-1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut (1/2 cup for the top, 1 cup for the sides)

Pre-heat oven to 350*. Grease and flour 3 9" round cake pans; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and cream of coconut on high speed until fluffy. Add the egg yolks and vanilla and beat well. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With mixer at low speed, gradually add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, scraping the side of the bowl down often with a flexible spatula. Fold in the coconut and pecans. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites on highest speed until stiff (several minutes). Fold the egg whites gently into the batter, using an over and under movement with your flexible spatula. Divide the batter evenly among the cake pans. Bake at 350* for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool about 5 minutes, run a thin knife around the edge, then gently turn out onto a cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.

For the frosting: In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, cream of coconut and vanilla and beat until well-blended. Spread between the layers and on top and side of the cake. Sprinkle the top, sides or both with coconut.

Note: If you can't find sweetened coconut cream, get 2 cans regular coconut milk and use the solidified part on top, mixed with 2 T. sugar. Between the 2 cans you should have roughly the 1 1/2 cups needed for the cake and frosting.

"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

Re: Coconut Cream Layer Cake

Sounds delicious! Coconut if my hubbys favorite cake. Thanks for this recipe!

Super Contributor

this looks heavenly! I have a birthday coming up and I sent the recipe to my husband, who likes to bake. I'm the only one in my family who likes coconut anything so I'll have it all to myself...yummy! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Contributor

Sounds soooo Yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Super Contributor

This recipe is identical to a cake I make every Easter called Italian Creme Cake.

Respected Contributor

Wow, I don't even own 3 - 9" cake pans but this recipe makes me want to buy some!

Thanks!

Denise
Valued Contributor

I am a fiend for coconut and this cake sounds absolutely delicious!!! I am definitely going to make it for Easter. It will blow my weight watchers but what the heck, I can't resist anything coconut!!! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe. I don't think I can wait until Easter afterall, so I will just do a trial run this week.

I will let you know how it turns out.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

Thanks for your comments. I haven't found the sweetened cream of coconut yet in my smallish town, so next time I go to the city, I will be on the hunt for it there. Please do let me know, if you make it, how it turns out.

Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 snickster said:

Thanks for your comments. I haven't found the sweetened cream of coconut yet in my smallish town, so next time I go to the city, I will be on the hunt for it there. Please do let me know, if you make it, how it turns out.

googled it and saw that Trader Joes sells online and Walmart.com

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coco-Real-Cream-Of-Coconut-21-oz-Pack-of-12/17194657

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Thank you...I actually found it today, in the only store I had not been to here in my town, it was in the alcoholic beverage section of the store. Now I just have to get the other ingredients, totally did not remember what all was in this cake while I was at the store.