Super Contributor

Hi Ladies...am trying to eat a lot more fresh veggies, and would like if you'd share some simple salad recipes. For example...I combine fresh broccoli, red onion sliced thin, mayo, red wine vinegar, S&P, and a little sugar. This is so good and healthy. I know....I am sparingly using the mayo! Another one that everyone knows about...sliced cucumbers with vinegar and S&P. I just want simple go-to-gethers. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Good for you!

I just try to have some protein in my salad, either a chicken tender that I'll grill in the George Foreman, or a hard boiled egg that I do in Henrietta Hen.

Lately, I've been eating just spinach, but any of the dark green leaves. I don't mix in a lot of other things. I just pile on those leaves!

Super Contributor

Yes, Harpa, I do that too, love spinach salad with the chicken tender and hard boiled egg. Kind of like a chef salad. But wanted to try something different. Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Eating veggies doesn't come natural to me but in recent years, I have been eating more of them. I find that I do better with a vegetable soup than I do with salads. I don't do a lot of cooking but I try to make a big pot on sundays. I like simple salads. Sliced tomato, onion, think sliced cucumber with a vinagarette is something I have come to really like. Sometimes I add boiled egg to it to make it more of a meal.

• <ul> <li class="ingredient first item-odd">2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cups chopped onions or thinly sliced leeks (whites only)
  • 1 cup thinly sliced celery
  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 3 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
  • 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juice
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 8 cups mixed fresh or frozen vegetables, such as carrots, corn, green beans, lima beans, peas, potatoes, and zucchini (cut larger vegetables into smaller pieces)
</li> </ul> <h2>Directions</h2>
  1. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions or leeks, celery, and Italian seasoning; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent, 5 to 8 minutes.
  2. Add broth, tomatoes and their juice, tomato paste, and 3 cups water to pot; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, 20 minutes.
  3. Add vegetables to pot, and return to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Let cool before storing.

Honored Contributor

I add different beans to my salad too. And instead of any creamy dressings, I use flavored vinegars instead. Brown rice vinegar is my fave right now. And if I have any whole grains --farrow, quinoa, brown rice, barley, I add some to it too. Then with the beans and grains, you have whole protein without using meats. Raw sunflower seeds are major power house add ins.

Harpa--I have Henrietta too{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Valued Contributor

I love romaine lettuce, baby spinach, fresh sliced strawberries, mandarin orange segments, thin sliced red onions, dried cranberries and walnuts drizzled with a lite raspberry vinaigrette dressing.Smile

Respected Contributor

Try thin sliced cucumber mixed with fresh dill, and dilute some Greek yogurt with a touch of vinegar and some mayo, add a dash of Ranch dressing mix and toss together. You can also use no fat sour cream.

I like cubes of iceberg lettuce (for the crunch) spinach, bell peppers (all colors), halved grape tomatoes, and cold boiled green beans, with home made vinaigrette (dash dijon mustard, wine vin, olive oil and some herbs, whipped with a whisk.) I might top it with a hard boiled egg or a cold boiled red potato or tuna.

Super Contributor
My favorite salad is composed of chopped romaine lettuce, cucumber cubes, red onion, avocado cubes, and diced carrots. No dressing - just a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. I try for at least 3 colors in my salads.
Super Contributor

Thanks ladies, love the different combos. Going to give them a try!

Honored Contributor
My current favorite is grilled chicken on greens mixed with a chopped Apple, dried cranberries and raspberry vinaigrette dressing.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment