Contributor

How do you cook your cabbage?

Getting ready for St. Patrick's day and would like to know how you prepare your ham and cabbage?
Honored Contributor

Re: How do you cook your cabbage?

Ham? I scoop out a couple cups of the corned beef "water" and cook the cabbage in it, with additional liquid, (quartered) in a separate pot.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I have cooked ham and cabbage if that's what you are cooking. I start with chicken broth and put pickling spice seasonings in a tea ball. I cook the ham,carrots and potatoes first and then add the cabbage. If I'm doing corned beef I use the seasoning pack for that instead. I cook my corned beef on the grill.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

Cabbage needs to be steamed! Do not set it in liquid and boil.

Respected Contributor

To maintain flavor, I chop it into about 1" strips. Sautée in butter with s&p and, my secret ingredient , a sprinkle of cumin......it adds wonderful flavor.
Super Contributor

I cook my corned beef, cabbage (cut up into quarters), red potatoes (cut in half) and carrots all together in one big pot, simmer for 3 hours, comes out perfect.

Respected Contributor

I actually prefer my cabbage fried, but I am from the south,lol....steamed is ok is seasoned up.

Honored Contributor

Cut it in to big chunks and sauté it in a little olive oil, salt, pepper.

Some people cook it in the juice with the brisket but I prefer it separate. I don't want it to be too mushy. It can be nice to drizzle a little of the juice from the brisket over the cabbage on your plate.

Regular Contributor

If you are thinking of how we cook it with corned beef, I also do the meat first (a few hours slow cooking on the stove with lots of water) then I remove it, chunk the cabbage into about 4 wedges and boil it in the juice, along with potatoes and carrots.

But if I'm just cooking it as a veggie anytime, my new favorite way I learned from these smart people here. I chunk it in wedges; lay it on heavy duty foil; salt and pepper lightly; put a small pat of butter on each wedge, add maybe a gppd 12 to 2/3 of a cup of water; close the foil up and put it on a baking sheet in the oven......3350 degrees for how long? Can't remember, but I believe about a good hour. DH just loves it this way, and I do too. No muss and no fuss. Deeelish!!

Super Contributor

I don't!! Ha ha ha ha