Trusted Contributor
Can I get away with using a cake mix..then pour the 3 milks??
Honored Contributor

I think you need to make sure it's a cake that can stand up to a soaking!

Some boxed cakes are very soft to begin with.

Super Contributor
On 3/2/2015 terrier3 said:

I think you need to make sure it's a cake that can stand up to a soaking!

Some boxed cakes are very soft to begin with.

Agreed .. you need a cake with a sponge texture that won't end up like mush.

Contributor
I've made this cake a lot over the years (usually for holidays/birthdays) and ALWAYS use a cake mix. Perfect every time, especially topped with canned cherries and whipped cream.
Honored Contributor
As I recall, I used a "white" cake mix and it worked fine.
Trusted Contributor

Premium Tres Leches Cake

Prep Time

15 MIN

Total Time

1 HR 55 MIN

Servings

Ingredients

1 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ yellow cake mix

1 1/4 cups water

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

2 teaspoons vanilla

4 eggs

1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)

1 cup whole milk or evaporated milk

1 cup whipping cream

1 container Betty Crocker™ Whipped fluffy white frosting

Directions

Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease and flour or spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan.

In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.

Bake as directed on box for 13x9-inch pan. Let stand 5 minutes. Poke top of hot cake every 1/2 inch with long-tined fork, wiping fork occasionally to reduce sticking.

In large bowl, stir together sweetened condensed milk, whole milk and whipping cream. Carefully pour evenly over top of cake. Cover; refrigerate about 1 hour or until mixture is absorbed into cake. Frost with frosting. Store covered in refrigerator.

Trusted Contributor
Thank you very much.
Respected Contributor
On 3/2/2015 flbettyboop said:

Premium Tres Leches Cake

Prep Time

15 MIN

Total Time

1 HR 55 MIN

Servings

Ingredients

1 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ yellow cake mix

1 1/4 cups water

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

2 teaspoons vanilla

4 eggs

1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)

1 cup whole milk or evaporated milk

1 cup whipping cream

1 container Betty Crocker™ Whipped fluffy white frosting

Directions

Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease and flour or spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan.

In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.

Bake as directed on box for 13x9-inch pan. Let stand 5 minutes. Poke top of hot cake every 1/2 inch with long-tined fork, wiping fork occasionally to reduce sticking.

In large bowl, stir together sweetened condensed milk, whole milk and whipping cream. Carefully pour evenly over top of cake. Cover; refrigerate about 1 hour or until mixture is absorbed into cake. Frost with frosting. Store covered in refrigerator.

This is the exact recipe I use. I make my own whipped cream topping with some powdered sugar and vanilla. If you're making it for easter, you can shake some colored sprinkles or put M&M's around the edges. The toppings can be whatever your imagination wants.

The cake just gets better every day (if you have any leftovers).

Honored Contributor

Everytime I see the name of this cake, or hear any reference to a 3 milk cake, I cringe and feel nauseous. One of my former co-workers made this cake and brought it to the office to share with everyone. She went on and on about this wonderful cake, and how she just knew we would love it. In my first days of working in this office, I realized right away that everyone was big on carrying food in for sharing. I discussed in front of everyone my food allergy situation, and that I generally did not eat anyone elses food, as I had found that this was the only true way for me to handle my issues, and stay in check. Everyone seemed sympathetic to my problem, and said they would not be offended when I couldn't eat something they brought in. I kept asking my co-worker questions about her cake; what's the name of it, what does it have in it, etc., and she just kept saying it's cake, you'll love it! I so should've followed my gut instinct of what I saw, and suspected, and declined, but I took one bite, swallowed it and said OMG, this cake has MILK in it! Which is when she finally announced the name of the cake...... It took less than 10 minutes for my intestines to react to that milk, and subsequently, I went home early that day. It took 4 hours for my system to settle down, so milk cake is etched in my mind forever as an absolute no-no. I saved myself so many times with food they brought in that was "safe" for me; a casserole made with cream of mushroom soup, 3 different salads where the dressing was made with milk. I don't trust anyone's cooking but my own.

Trusted Contributor

This is one of my very favorite cakes! I love it so much and order it every time it is on a menu. I always thought the cake would need to be more dense, so it is interesting to see a box cake used here.