Contributor

Does any one have a tried and good recipe for cooking a

corn beef brisket.

I need to take one to a cookout and am not sure how to

cook one as I don't think I have ever done one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Schultzi

Frequent Contributor

I am Irish and born on St Patrick's Day. Corned Beef is in my blood.

Cook it long and slow. At the end add the potatoes, then carrots and finally the cabbage to the corned beef water so they absorb the flavor.

Here are a couple of recipes, I do everything by instinct so I can't give you an exact recipe.

https://www.google.com/search?q=corned+beef+and+cabbage&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Respected Contributor

Corned beef is easy to make but it probably takes longer than you think. I cook it in a crockpot or on top of the stove. It needs a long cooking time at a low simmer. When it's done I remove the meat and cook the veggies last in the meat broth as Happy Girl says. It's not glamorous looking (it's a boiled dinner) but it's delicious.

Honored Contributor

I have cooked it in the pressure cooker, baked it in the oven and also in a crock pot and I have to say that low and slow in the crock pot is the best. I add the veggies the last hour or two so they don't just sog up and disappear. I was throwing away the spice packet, that comes with the meat, for years, who knows why{#emotions_dlg.blink}--but I've found that it adds a ton of flavor.

Super Contributor

I do mine in a crockpot with potatoes and carrots AND the spice packet that comes with it - add cabbage later (or cook it separately if it won't fit in the crock using some of the liquid from the corned beef.

Respected Contributor

I smoke mine on the grill for a couple hours and then wrap in foil and continue cooking for 3 more hours. If you want to speed that up you can smoke first and then pressure cook. Since we started doing it this way we won't eat it any other way.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Crock pot for me also. Tender, moist & delish!!!

Honored Contributor

I've never tried in a crock pot, but I bet it would be good! I always use the instructions on the packaged Corned Beef, seasonings and roast in the oven!

Honored Contributor

It is corned beef.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

You can put a rub on it and smoke it. Then it becomes pastrami.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval