Trusted Contributor

Meatballs - how do you fix them?

I would like to make some but I'm not sure what is the best way. Does anyone have some suggestions?

Contributor

Re: Meatballs - how do you fix them?

Valued Contributor

Valued Contributor

Cooking them in the sauce is best, I think. Adds so much more flavor to the sauce! I have baked them and then added them to sauce, but just not as flavorful.

Respected Contributor

I usually bake mine, they develop a great crust..THEN simmer them in the sauce...

Trusted Contributor

On 2/28/2015 Mothertrucker said:

I usually bake mine, they develop a great crust..THEN simmer them in the sauce...

Me too.

Valued Contributor

I was having some problems with the Fabio meatballs not sticking together as well when I cooked them in the sauce so in addition to the one egg, I add an extra egg white. I also noticed that I had to use full fat ricotta cheese.

I might try baking them for a bit.

Contributor

I use the Rao's recipe. They always come out great. To make it more cost effective I use meatloaf mix ground meat and add 1/2 lb of ground beef. I also bake them instead of frying. This makes a lot of meatballs, so I freeze a bunch for later use.

INGREDIENTS
1 pound ground lean beef
½ pound ground veal
½ pound ground pork
2 large eggs
1 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1½ tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
½ small garlic clove, peeled and minced
2 cups bread crumbs
2 cups lukewarm water
Salt & pepper to taste
1 cup Rao’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Rao's Marinara Sauce - 3 Packs or Cases

Directions:

1. Combine beef, veal, and pork in a large bowl. Add eggs, cheese, parsley, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Using your hands, blend ingredients together.

2. Blend bread crumbs into meat mixture. Slowly add water,1 cup at a time, until the mixture is quite moist.
  3. Shape the meat mixture into balls (2½ to 3 inch balls).
  4. Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan. When oil is very hot but not smoking, fry meatballs in batches. When bottom half of meatball is very brown and slightly crisp turn and cook top half. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
  5. Lower cooked meatballs into simmering Marinara Sauce (3 Packs or Cases) and cook for 15 minutes. Serve over pasta or on their own.
Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for the ideas and recipes. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow!

Honored Contributor

On 2/28/2015 isaboo said:

I would like to make some but I'm not sure what is the best way. Does anyone have some suggestions?

Cute nic! Wasn't that Rachael Ray's dog at one time?