Esteemed Contributor

Many of you grow your own herbs. How do you pair up the herbs in cooking. Lamb with rosemary and thyme....What is your favorite way to use them?

Esteemed Contributor

I do not presently grow herbs, but at one time I had an extensive culinary (et.al.) herb garden.

Herbs (dried) always on hand for me are: parsley, tarragon, sweet basil, oregano, Italian, rosemary, thyme, bay & herbs de provence. (Along with an assortment of spices.) And I mix my own spice of life.

I don't know how to explain it, but I can just smell the herb (or spice) and instinctively know which compliments what. I have a huge framed wall chart with herbs & spices food pairings as well, if I'm ever hunting for another flavor twist.

Fresh herbs, too when I'm puttin' on the culinary ritz!

Regular Contributor

I love cooking with fresh herbs. My favorites are rosemary, basil, cilantro, chives and parsley. I use rosemary in lamb and chicken dishes and use the larger, woodier stems as skewers when I grill kabobs. They impart quite a flavor. I make salsa every year and use fresh cilantro and parsley--you can really taste the difference. And of course there is the caprese salad with fresh ripe roma tomatoes, sliced fresh mozzarella cheese and basil leaves with fresh ground black pepper and evoo. I make bruschetta quite often, too with the basil. I started out several years ago with 3 smaller chive plants. Now I have clumps of chives everywhere in my garden. I transplant them when necessary. They have beautiful ,round clover-like lavender balls that bloom in the spring. I usually dry small amounts of the herbs in the fall to get me through to the next year.

Valued Contributor

Hi-I agree with Harpa-I think after a while of being in the kitchen, and cooking for years and years, one just sorta knows. That is, if you really love to cook. Sure there are cooks who just want to "get the job done", so-to-speak. But if you really love it, and do it every day, some of the stuff becomes instinctual. I don't buy a lot of fresh herbs off season, but some that I love fresh and will buy b/c I know that they add so much to my cooking are: basil, cilantro, and rosemary. In the summer months, of course, that all changes, when more is available to me and I can easily grow basil and some others on my deck. My house does not get the best light or I would grow herbs all year long inside, too.

Honored Contributor

I grow Kentucky Colonel Mint, and another variegated mint, Basil, Oregano in my kitchen window. Rosemary outside. So easy to just pinch off and throw into a pot/pan.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your suggestions. I have a supply of dried herbs, just never used fresh except basil and parsley.