Respected Contributor

My mother used to make a delicious biscuit recipe called "Angel Biscuits." It had baking powder in it for leavening but yeast for flavoring. Does anyone have that recipe?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recipe for ""Angel Biscuits""

Angel Biscuits

These yeast biscuits snug together in the pan and they'll rise even higher when baked. You don't have to use all the dough at once--refrigerate in an airtight container up to 5 days.

Southern Living NOVEMBER 2014

• Yield: Makes about 2 1/2 dozen
  • Hands-on: 30 Minutes
  • Total: 2 Hours, 50 Minutes

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
  • 1 (1/4-oz.) envelope active dry yeast
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 5 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
  • 1/2 cup shortening, cubed
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • Parchment paper
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted and divided
Preparation

1. Stir together first 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Let stand 5 minutes.

2. Stir together flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; cut butter and shortening into flour mixture with a pastry blender or 2 forks until crumbly. Add yeast mixture and buttermilk to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and chill 2 hours to 5 days.

3. Preheat oven to 400°. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 3 or 4 times. Gently roll dough into a 3/4-inch-thick circle, and fold dough in half; repeat. Gently roll dough to 3/4-inch thickness; cut with a 2-inch round cutter. Reroll remaining scraps, and cut with cutter. Place rounds, with sides touching, in a 10- or 12-inch cast-iron skillet or on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush biscuits with 2 Tbsp. melted butter.

4. Bake at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with remaining melted butter, and serve.

Enjoy!

Trusted Contributor

I have 2 recipes that I have saved. One was from a poster on Q forums and I saved it way back in 2009! I have not tried this recipe. When I copy and save a recipe I usually edit it, but I never did that with this recipe. So, this is posted exactly like shirazz posted it.

Angel Biscuits

By shirazz

oceantown, here is my ANGEL ( because they're heavenly)biscuit recipe :

4 c. all-purpose flour

1/4 c. granulated sugar

3 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

1/2 cup shortening

1 1/4 oz package active dry yeast

2 tsp. warm water

2 c. buttermilk, room temp

melted butter to brush on tops after baking

in a medium sized bowl sift together first 5 ingredients...soften the yeast for 5 min and mix with buttermilk ...cut in shortening till it looks likes coarse meal (with some pieces looking like the size of peas) and add yeast mixture...mix until moistened...knead 6-7 times on floured board till a dough ball forms...roll out to 1/2 in thickness and use a 2 1/2 in biscuit cutter, but don't twist the cutter, makes edges tough and not flaky...place on a buttered pan, cover with plastic wrap and place the pan in a warm place for 45 min. to rise... and then bake for about 10 -12 minutes in a preheated 450 degree oven...or till golden...brush tops with melted butter.

you can make the dough and refrigerate it for 3-5 days...then you can cut some off and bake when you feel the need for a biscuit.

a friend of mine doesn't let her dough rest and they come out okay, but they will rise higher when they rest lightly covered with the plastic.

this recipe will make about 12 -15...i use a small cutter

Trusted Contributor

This is another recipe I have saved. I have never tried this one either.

Father Tim’s Mother’s Angel Biscuits (Mitford)

Mitfordbooks.com

Nonstick cooking spray for the pan

1/2 cup water

1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar

1 package instant dry yeast

5 cups White Lily all-purpose flour, more for rolling out the dough

1 Tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup shortening

2 cups buttermilk

1. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Warm the water in a small saucepan to 105º to 115ºF. Stir in 1 teaspoon of the sugar. Add the yeast and stir until dissolved. Allow the yeast to proof (bubble).

2. Sift the flour, remaining 1/3 cup of the sugar, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Add the buttermilk and the yeast mixture and stir until well mixed.

3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 3 or 4 times. Roll the dough out until it is about ½ inch thick and cut into rounds with a 2-inch cookie cutter. Place on the cookie sheet, cover with a kitchen towel, and let rise until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.

4. Preheat the oven to 400ºF while the biscuits are rising. Bake the biscuits for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown on top.

Yield: 36

Honored Contributor

I have Nathalie Dupree's Southern Biscuits cookbook. Here is her recipe for Angel Biscuits. She is a wonderful Southern cook, and I love her biscuit recipes. They are always so right on! Rather than typing the recipe out, I found her recipe online she had in Epicurious magazine.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/angel-biscuits-104129

Regular Contributor

For Oceantown: Someone else has read the ""Mitford"" books! Weren't they great? I read ALL of them and then got the accompanying cookbook from the library. Made several recipes from it.

Contributor

These sound wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Respected Contributor

These are wonderful and many thanks for posting and sharing them.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/23/2015 CountryMusicGal said:

For Oceantown: Someone else has read the "Mitford" books! Weren't they great? I read ALL of them and then got the accompanying cookbook from the library. Made several recipes from it.

Hi, CountryMusicGal, thanks for your post!

I love the Mitford characters, but I am embarrassed to say I have not read all of the books. I have a set of 5 that were sold in a box set. I need to get back to those!

Also I have the Mitford Cookbook & Kitchen Reader. That is a great book to read through. Do you remember which recipes you tried and liked? I just love cookbooks, and collected special ones. I can't remember if I have actually tried any of the recipes. It is such a beautiful book.

Of course after reading your nice post, I had to get out my book again and glance through it! I think I need to try Cynthia's Chicken Salad sometime soon! (no pecans though... allergic!)

Regular Contributor

Good Morning Oceantown,

I copied a few recipes from the cookbook: Ray's Coleslaw, Puny's Cheesecake, Emma's Pound Cake, and Puny's Potato Salad. I have made all but the cheesecake. The potato salad & coleslaw I have made numerous times - I just add scallions & celery to the potato salad.

Read the rest of the books! You can get them at the library (ours has them in large print, too). After the Mitford series ends, there is a smaller series of "Father Tim" books, FYI.

The QVC forums are really great; a wonderful way to connect with people! Happy Day (No Happy Dance, ha ha!)