Trusted Contributor

Easy and Delicious Chicken and Dumplings

It has been so darn cold, and hubby wanted comfort food, specifically chicken and dumplings. I have never made chicken and dumpling before, mainly because I didn't want to mess with the dumpling part. So, I took to the net trying to find an easier version and came across one from Pillsbury. It had very good reviews, so I decided to make it, and it is a winner ! For those of you stuck in cold weather like we are, and have a hankering for easy chicken and dumplings, give this a try. It is delicious.

1 carton (32 oz) reduced sodium chicken broth ( 4 cups )

3 C shredded cooked chicken ( about 1 1/2lbs)

1 can 10 3/4 oz condensed cream of chicken soup

1/4 tsp poultry seasoning

1 can (16.3 oz ) Pillsbury Grands Homestyle refrigerated biscuits. ( 8 biscuits )

2 cut up medium carrots

3 cut up celery

In a dutch oven, heat broth, chicken, soup and poultry seasoning to boiling over medium high heat. Cover, simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium high and return to a low boil.

On a lightly floured surface pat or roll each biscuit into 1/8" thickness and cut into 1/2" wide strips.

Drop strips one at a time into boiling chicken mixture. Add carrots and celery and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent dumplings from sticking.

*** I made a double batch and had neighbors over. I used one carton of chicken broth and the broth from the chicken breasts that I boiled for the balance of the liquid. I used one can of the biscuits, because it looked like so much when you add it to the broth, especially when they are all floating on top, but although it was delicious, it could have used at least half of the other can of biscuits, if not all of it, depending on how you like yours. If I double the recipe again, I will use at least half of the second can of biscuits.

I have enjoyed many recipes from here that you all have been so kind to post and share.

Thank you !

Respected Contributor

Re: Easy and Delicious Chicken and Dumplings

Sounds wonderful! I know of a recipe similar to that but uses Bisquick biscket mix to plop small dumplings on top. This sounds even easier.

Honored Contributor

I have been craving chicken and dumplings so will give this a try during the upcoming week. Thanks.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Trusted Contributor

Tique, hope you enjoy it, if you make it. I forgot to mention that I had to make a slurry of cornstarch to thicken the broth just a bit, I think it is because I doubled the recipe, but only used one can of the biscuits.
Respected Contributor

I just take good quality, thick flour tortillas and cut them into squares! Makes even a can of chicken noodle sop tste like dumpling!

Yours sounds great though!

Super Contributor

Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

YUM! Thank you!

Respected Contributor

THANK YOU !

Valued Contributor

We are looking at that Siberian cold snap another week around here, so this will be on the menu one night. Thanks much.

Respected Contributor

I like chicken and dumplings this way, but down here, our dumplings are just that chicken and dumplings only. I like mine to be more like a stew/thick soup consistency, so your recipe is great and easy!