Respected Contributor

Need a good split pea soup as well as tomato soup please

My DH use to love both of these but no more. He says the split pea soup is way too thick now and his mom use to put beans and ham in it?

Does anyone have a split pea soup that sounds like this, beans and ham in it?

As for tomato soup, no idea why all of a sudden he doesn't like this. He says all of a sudden it tastes like a can of sauce with seasonings in it. I had a tomato Florentine soup out once that I liked very much.

I admit, I don't make it fresh but purchase it at Wegmans so, would really like if anyone has a good recipe for either one of these soups.

thanks so much

Respected Contributor

Re: Need a good split pea soup as well as tomato soup please

I have quite a few but this is one I always come back to and also add my own meats into this very thick tasty split pea soup.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/ham-and-split-pea-soup-recipe.html

If you do not like a thick pea soup you can add more stock into it, to thin it out to your own personal preference.

Also if you want to really puree the pea soup and serve it, I use the vita mix and that works out very well.

Sorry but I have never been a fan of tomato soup.

Valued Contributor

My husband and I do not like most tomato soups that are in the stores--they are usually very sweet which we hate. My mother taught me to make an easy and very inexpensive version. Pour your favorite tomato juice into a sauce pan and bring to a low simmer. Add a pinch of baking soda and stir. Add milk (we use whole milk), stir, add salt, pepper and a little butter to taste. Delicious. I have been making tomato soup this way for years. You could also put in some diced tomatoes if you want it chunkier.

Honored Contributor

I use the traditional Anderson's Split Pea soup recipe that is online. We always stop there for the soup when driving the coast.

Respected Contributor

a friend sent me these today

Best Tomato Soup Ever

Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond
Ingredients
1 medium white or yellow onion
  • 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
  • Two 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes
  • One 46-ounce bottle or can tomato juice
  • 3 to 6 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 or 2 tablespoons chicken base, or 3 chicken bouillon cubes or loose chicken granules, low sodium
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup sherry, optional
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
Directions

To begin, dice the onion. Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven. Throw in the onion and cook until translucent.

Now dump in the diced tomatoes and stir to combine. Add the tomato juice.

Next - and this is important - in order to combat the acidity of the tomatoes add 3 to 6 tablespoons of sugar. Now, you'll want to start on the low side, then taste and add more as needed. Some tomatoes and juice have more of an acidic bite than others. (For what it's worth, and I realize it's not worth much, I use 6 tablespoons of sugar.)

Next, add 1 or 2 tablespoons chicken base to the pot. I added 3, and it wound up being a little too much.

Now you can add lots of freshly ground black pepper. Stir to combine, then heat almost to a boil. Then turn off the heat.

Add in the sherry if desired. Stir in the cream. Add the basil and parsley and stir.

Serve the soup warm!

Nordstrom's Tomato Basil Soup
Ingredients

6 tablespoons olive oil

• 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil, crushed
  • 3 28-ounce cans whole peeled Roma tomatoes
  • 1 quart chicken broth
  • 1 pint heavy cream
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Procedures
  1. 1

In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add carrots and onion and cook until beginning to soften, 10 minutes, then add basil and cook until vegetables are completely soft, about 5 minutes more.

2. 2

Add tomatoes and broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20-30 minutes, or up to 45 minutes if time permits.

3. 3

After allowing soup to cool somewhat, purée in a blender or food processor until smooth, doing so in batches if necessary. For a much silkier texture, strain the purée before returning to the pot.

4. 4

Stir in cream little by little over over low heat, until desired texture is reached and soup is just heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve warm.

5. Blake Royer

This is what my wife asked me to accomplish: a) Recreate the tomato soup from Nordstrom, and b) don't mess it up. In case you're not familiar with this soup, it's rather famous, ranked regularly on lists of Best Tomato Soup Ever, enjoying something of a cult following for those who love tomato soup. And who doesn't? I'd be surprised to meet any American kid who doesn't have fond memories buried deep.

Thankfully, there are recipes for it pretty easy to come by. The secrets, I think, are the generous use of carrots, which bring a sort of untraceable sweetness, and the use of dried basil, not fresh. That might seem surprising since dried basil gets a bad rep for tasting very little like its fresh counterpart. But it's actually a useful ingredient, and the concentrated flavor is key for a puréed soup like this.

I suppose it's up to the eater whether this soup is a close-enough facsimile of the original dish—but I can guarantee that you won't regret making it, because it's delicious.

Respected Contributor

Parker's Split Pea SoupRecipe courtesy of Ina Garten

Ingredients

• 1 cup chopped yellow onions
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/8 cup good olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 -1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cups medium-diced carrots (3 to 4 carrots)
  • 1 cup medium-diced red boiling potatoes, unpeeled (3 small)

Directions SEE NOTE:

In a 4-quart stockpot on medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic with the olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper until the onions are translucent, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes, 1/2 pound of split peas, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 40 minutes. Skim off the foam while cooking. Add the remaining split peas and continue to simmer for another 40 minutes, or until all the peas are soft. Stir frequently to keep the solids from burning on the bottom. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve hot.

NOTE: you can also add chopped ham to this if you wish and or beans(canned northern beans)

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 2 hours 35 min.
MAKES: 10 servings
ingredients_

Split Pea Soup with Ham RecipeFor a different spin on split pea soup, try this recipe. The flavor is peppery rather than smoky.

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours

MAKES: 12 servings
ingredients >
  • 8 cups water or 6 cups water and 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
  • 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 2 large onions, chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, chopped
  • 2 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
  • 2 celery ribs, chopped
  • 5 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
  • 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
  • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
  • /2 teaspoon dried basil
Directions
In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until peas and vegetables are tender.Yield:
12 servings (3 quarts).

I did copy those written here by marky, phoenixbrd and adoreqvc(goggled these)

Valued Contributor

Lumberyard Restaurant's Roasted Tomato Bisque

Servings: 16 (1-cup) servings

3 pounds plum tomatoes

2 tablespoons olive oil

Salt

Pepper

1 1/2 pounds cauliflower, coarsely chopped

2 1/2 pounds red peppers

3 tablespoons minced garlic

2/3 cup fresh lemon juice

2 cups tomato juice

1/3 cup tomato paste

4 ounces (about 6 cups) fresh basil leaves

2 1/2 cups vegetable broth

3 cups cream

Sugar

1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Halve the tomatoes lengthwise and place on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil over the tomatoes, and sprinkle over 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Roast the tomatoes for 20 minutes to soften. Remove from the oven and set aside.

2. While the tomatoes are roasting, steam the cauliflower in a steamer set over a pot of boiling water. Steam the cauliflower until tender, then remove from heat and set aside.

3. Roast the peppers: Place the peppers on a rack set over a gas stove-top burner heated over high heat. Roast until the skin on all sides is charred, turning frequently. Place the peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and set aside until the peppers are cool enough to handle. Peel the charred skin from the peppers, then stem and seed the peppers. Mince the peppers. You should have about 2 cups (1 pound) minced roasted pepper.

4. Combine the roasted tomatoes (with any juices), cauliflower, minced peppers, garlic, lemon juice, tomato juice, tomato paste, basil leaves and vegetable broth in a pot or large bowl. Purée the mixture using an immersion blender, or in batches using a blender, before pushing through a strainer into a heavy-bottom soup pot.

5. Bring the soup to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently. Stir in the cream and continue to heat until hot. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir in sugar to sweeten as desired.

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Respected Contributor

My fave- From the Five Crowns in Corona Del Mar (Calif) I grew up on this and i still love it!

FIVE CROWNS FRENCH TOMATO SOUP

2 slices bacon

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 cups sliced onions

6 to 8 Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced

1 quart chicken stock

1 tablespoon tomato paste

1 tablespoon grated lemon peel

1 teaspoon sugar

1 tablespoon chopped parsley

2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil

1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

Salt, white pepper

Garlic croutons, optional

Additional chopped herbs, optional

Cook bacon in medium saucepan over medium heat until crisp. Add olive oil and onions. Saute 7 to 8 minutes or until onions are tender and begin to brown.

Add tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato paste, lemon peel, sugar, parsley, basil and thyme. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.

Puree tomato mixture in blender or food processor until smooth. Add salt and white pepper to taste. Serve hot with garlic croutons, and sprinkle with additional chopped fresh herbs, if desired.

Makes 4 servings.

Respected Contributor

cookie and mothertrucker, both sound very very good and did copy them, thank you

Respected Contributor

Meant to add- my recipe was written before the advent of the immersion blender- that works just as well to puree...