Honored Contributor

Baked Ziti with Sausage and Peppers made in Slow Cooker

Baked Ziti with Sausage and Peppers (Slow Cooker)

Ingredients...

Vegetable oil spray

1 T. EVOO

1 pound Italian sausage, removed from casing

2 onions, minced

1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/2" pieces

1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/2' pieces

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 T. minced fresh oregano, or 1 t. dried....I used dried

1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes

1/2 cup heavy cream

8 oz. (2 & 1/2 cups) ziti...I used regular size, but would recommend the mini ziti

1/2 t. salt

1/4 t. pepper

1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce

Hot water, as needed

1. Line slow cooker with aluminum foil collar and coat with vegetable oil spray. Heat olive oil in large pot over medium high heat until just smoking. Brown sausage well, breaking up large pieces with wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Add onions, bell peppers, garlic, and oregano and cook until vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.

2. Stir in tomatoes and heavy cream, scraping up any browned bits, and simmer until thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in ziti, salt and pepper.

3. Transfer ziti mixture to prepared slow cooker and spread tomato sauce evenly over pasta. Cover and cook until pasta in tender, about 3 hours, on high.

4. Remove foil collar. Gently stir pasta, adding hot water as needed to loosen sauce consistency. Sprinkle with mozzarella, cover, and let sit until melted, about 5 minutes. Serve.

Reason for and how to make the foil collar, per America's Test Kitchen:

Most slow cookers have a hotter side (typically the back side, opposite the side with the controls) that can cause casseroles to burn. To solve the problem you line the cooker with a foil collar. To make a foil collar: Layer and fold sheets of heavy duty foil until you have a 6 layered foil rectangle approx. 16" long x 4" wide. Press the collar into the back of the slow-cooker insert; the food will help hold the collar in place during cooking.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Re: Baked Ziti with Sausage and Peppers made in Slow Cooker

How delicious this sounds! Thanks for posting!

I'm even thinking I could precook the ziti...add it to the dutch oven and eat even faster! LOL I have always wanted to try adding dry pasta to a slow cooker recipe!

Super Contributor

Thanks for posting this!

Honored Contributor

Oh, thank you, snickster!!! Aren't you really fine for sharing this! I'm saving it now!!!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

This sounds soooo good thanks for sharing.

Honored Contributor

On 2/20/2015 RespectLife said:

How delicious this sounds! Thanks for posting!

I'm even thinking I could precook the ziti...add it to the dutch oven and eat even faster! LOL I have always wanted to try adding dry pasta to a slow cooker recipe!

You're welcome, if you do make it in a slow cooker, I wouldn't recommend pre-cooking the pasta, I think it would become too mushy. My crock pot seems to run hot, so I could probably have cut down the cook time on this by 15 minutes or so, I think. Was my first time trying it so I followed the directions from America's Test Kitchen's cook book. Hope you like it.

Honored Contributor

On 2/20/2015 Jova said:

Thanks for posting this!

You're welcome, if you make it, I hope you like it. Let me know how it turns out for you.

Honored Contributor

On 2/20/2015 lovestoteach said:

Oh, thank you, snickster!!! Aren't you really fine for sharing this! I'm saving it now!!!

You're welcome LTT, I also posted it for you under AMS, in case you looked there for it. Hope you like it, if you make it.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks you organizing decluttering chick, I am going to try this!

I like that you use dry pasta as I don't like mushy pasta, will watch & reduce timing if I feel it is done enough

did the peppers & onions turn out real mushy? I may lightly cook for a shorter time before I add

Honored Contributor

On 2/20/2015 Katey1261 said:

This sounds soooo good thanks for sharing.

You are very welcome, let me know what you think, if you decide to make it.