Honored Contributor

Butternut Squash Risotto- Delicioso!

From RealSimple. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/butternut-squash-risotto

Butternut Squash Risotto

John Kernick

Rating: Great

Hands-On Time 25 minutes Total Time 55 minutes

Serves 4

Ingredients

4 cups low-sodium chicken broth 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 1/4 teaspoon black pepper 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and grated (about 4 cups) 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice 1 cup dry white wine 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan

Directions

Warm the broth in a small saucepan over low heat.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, salt, and pepper and cook for 4 minutes. Add the sage and cook for 1 minute. Add the squash and garlic and cook until the squash begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.

Add the wine and cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring occasionally and waiting until it is absorbed before adding more. It should take about 30 minutes for all the broth to be absorbed.

Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan. Spoon into individual bowls.

Kate Merker

November 2006

Nutritional Information

Per Serving

Calories From Fat 16 %

Fat 11 g

Sat Fat 1 g

Cholesterol 0 mg

Sodium 977 mg

Carbohydrate 100 g

Fiber 7 g

Sugar 7 g

Protein 17 g

Honored Contributor

Re: Butternut Squash Risotto- Delicioso!

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I have yet to try my hand at risotto...just watch those on Chopped usually fail miserably at it! LOL

Adding squash...and wine? What could be better! I can't wait to try this. Thanks again!

Respected Contributor

On 2/20/2015 RespectLife said:

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I have yet to try my hand at risotto...just watch those on Chopped usually fail miserably at it! LOL

Adding squash...and wine? What could be better! I can't wait to try this. Thanks again!

The trick to risotto is really just giving it enough time (which they never have on Chopped!)

I had a delicious risotto in a restaurant that I was able to recreate at home...it had butternut squash, sage, and Boursin garlic/herb cheese. OMG is it good.

Honored Contributor

Yep- part deux for leftovers tonight (gotta drink the rest of the wine, right?Wink).

I might shred in some kale when I reheat it, or serve it with a side of asparagus.