Honored Contributor

I have been trying to make tasty homemade vegetable soup for years. Got this recipe from our local co-op deli. This is my third time to make it with changes each time. This one is a keeper for me.

2 T olive oil
1/2 large yellow onion, diced
1 cup diced carrots
3 large celery ribs, diced
2 T minced garlic
1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
2 t kosher salt
2 t black pepper
2 t dried thyme
2 t dried marjoram
2 t dried dill weed
3/4 to 1 cup green beans, in 1 inch pieces
12 oz can diced tomatoes
6 cups vegetable broth (preferably homemade)
1 cup tomato sauce
2 small zucchini, sliced in rounds
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
5 oz baby spinach

In large soup pot head oil over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, garlic, bell pepper and spices until onions are soft - 8 to 12 minutes.

Add green beans, tomatoes and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for abou8t 30 minutes. Turn off heat.

Add tomato sauce, zucchini, mushrooms and spinach. Let sit for 20 minutes.

The original recipe called for frozen corn and peas but I only eat corn in season and never have frozen peas (I used them the first time and decided they were not necessary). I upped the zucchini and mushrooms to make up for it. Hope you enjoy it!

Frequent Contributor

DiAnne....it has been so cold here...this soup sounds great...will be trying in the next few days...Thanks for sharing...Tess

Trusted Contributor

DiAnne, thanks for the recipe. I'm vegetarian and always looking for good basic recipes. Will try this this week.

Honored Contributor

This looks good. I like frozen corn and peas so how much of each would you put in? Thank you!

Honored Contributor
On 2/18/2015 ValuSkr said:

This looks good. I like frozen corn and peas so how much of each would you put in? Thank you!

The original recipe called for 1/2 cup of each.

Honored Contributor

It's still in the negative digits where I live, so a sandwich and some hot vegetable soup sounds delicious. I love those soup and sandwich trays that Temptations had for these types of meals.

Honored Contributor
I will be copying your recipe, and I thank you for it. I always look for ways to amp up my veggie consumption, and this looks like a good shot. Soup is a great supper food during single digit weather!
Frequent Contributor

DiAnne...Made this soup yesterday when the temp was minus 9 for most of the day....it sure was good...thanks again for sharing.....Tess

Super Contributor

Thank you for posting this. I am forever learning about what herbs to add to soups, so appreciate this combo thyme, marjoram (rarely use this, marjoram challenged as I am) and dill.

We were able to get out just before the latest blizzard started, to a local market (WH is far away) and the fresh veg selection was sad so I will be adding a larger percentage of frozen veg, although I have my home-canned tomatoes and dried peppers from last summer's garden. I might steal a leaf of kale from the chickens' rations to add as well. Smiley Happy Bird

p.s. thinking...might add a small handful of red lentils for body. Maybe a small handful of red beans too. I will soak them now and then put them in the rice cooker.

Trusted Contributor

Making this right now! A winter ice storm has hit my area of Texas last night. DiAnne, if you see this, does the zucchini cook well enough with the heat turned off?