Honored Contributor

Laura Weather's Pie Crust Recipe?

Would love some help. I am trying to locate the pie crust recipe Laura demonstrated yesterday that has BOTH butter and shortening in it. I googled, but could only locate the one without shortening. Yesterday she said she uses both.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! TIA!

Re: Laura Weather's Pie Crust Recipe?

I copied and pasted this recipe into my recipe file in 2012. I have it labeled as Laura Weather's pie crust.

QVC Double-Crust Pie (Made in a Food Processor)

I'm happy to share this recipe for a double-crust pie! If you only need one, roll out both crusts and put one in freezer paper and double wrap in foil for later use. Please note that the butter isn't cut into too small of pieces. This is what makes the crust flake when it's rolled out. As the pie bakes, the flattened flour-coated butter nuggets melt and create steam, and the steam causes the flake. Also make sure everything's icy cold; I even freeze my flour!

Ingredients:

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2-lb (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes (place in freezer for at least one hour)
About 1/3 cup ice-cold water
1 Tbsp white vinegar

Directions:

Put the flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the cold butter cubes and pulse a few times until the mixture starts to become mealy and forms plainly visible pea-sized nuggets.

Slowly add the wet ingredients. To ensure a tender crust, I first pulse in the white vinegar, adding a little every couple of pulses. Next, pulse in the ice water—a little water, 3-4 pulses, a little more water, 4-5 pulses. Try not to over-wet the dough! When I'm on QVC, I pulse until the dough just starts clumping together, then pull some out and squeeze test it to see if it's holding together. Be careful not to over-mix the dough. If it appears dry and isn't holding, add a few additional tablespoons of water.

Dump the dough out onto a floured surface and gather into two balls. Flatten each, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to use. Often you will find this ''rest'' period helps even out the moisture in a slightly dry dough.

One last hint: be sure to roll out the dough to at least 1 inch wider than your pie pan. Then you'll have plenty leftover to drape. But be very careful not to stretch the dough loosely into the pan. When I judge pie contests, it seems the biggest problem is the crust shrinks because the pie dough was stretched to just fit the pan. But if you follow my directions, you can have an award-winning pie crust of your very own!

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much for taking the time to post....that is the one I have been able to find. Thanks anyways....

However, yesterday, she said she was making a pie crust with both butter and shortening in it. I think she said why she was using both but I can't remember.

I was looking for the pie crust recipe that uses both butter and shortening. I can't seem to get into Pinterest...I am not a 'member' and it won't let me do anything! I also am not a 'member' of facebook so I can't facebook her to ask.

Trusted Contributor

Respect Life,

Ree Drummond has a pie pastry recipe that uses both butter & shortening. It also has an egg.

It looks good!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/flat-apple-pie-with-perfect-pie-crust-recipe.html

She makes two single crust pies, but of course you could make a double crust pie with this recipe.

Hope this helps!

Honored Contributor

Thank you oceantown....I copied Ree's to try.

I don't think Laura's had an egg....not 100% sure...but it did have both the butter & shortening, white vinegar and cold water just like Ree's.

I am going to keep going to I find a pie crust recipe I can do...and that tastes good!

I thought the reasoning (even tho I can't remember what Laura said, LOL) for having both butter and shortening made so much sense!

Thanks again oceantown....much appreciated!

Honored Contributor

The Perfect Pie Crust Tutorial is on her Pinterest page. There are several different pie crust recipes. I did not click on all of them to see if they all use shortening & butter. https://www.pinterest.com/laura3685/december-tsv-2014-stand-mixer/

Perfect Pie Crust
Serves: 2 - 9" pie crusts
Ingredients
  • 2½ C flour
  • ½ C butter
  • ½ C shortening
  • pinch of salt
  • ice cold water, add teaspoon by teaspoon until right consistency has formed
  • 1 T white vinegar
Instructions
  1. Place flour, salt, butter and shortening in bowl.
  2. Use your hands to combine ingredients until small pebbles form.
  3. Add cold water a teaspoon at a time until the dough begins to hold together and form a ball.
  4. Do not over handle the dough. Dough should be soft, moist but not wet.
  5. Divide dough in half.
  6. Place ball of dough onto wax paper and flatten. Place another piece of wax paper over the top and roll out the pastry into a circle. If your pie pan is 9 inch make sure your circle is bigger than 9 inches so you have enough for the edging..
  7. Remove the top layer of wax paper and place pastry into pie tin. Remove other piece of wax paper and press pastry into pan. Use your fingers to crimp the edge of the crust.
  8. Freeze for 30 minutes to firm up the pastry. This helps prevent pastry from shrinking during baking.
  9. Pr~ick the bottom of crust to prevent bubbling during baking.
  10. If pie calls for a baked crust bake at 400 degrees. For the first 10-12 minutes keep the edges of pie covered with foil and then remove for the last 15 minutes. Bake until golden brown.

From Laura's post on this recipe she said she uses this recipe & adds 1 T white vinegar to make it extra tender. I don't know at what point she adds the vinegar.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, Nightowlz! I don't know why Pinterest won't let me in....guess you must be a member.

I was able to see one person added a comment that they add 1T of white vinegar for tenderness....that I know for sure Laura added yesterday.

Thank you all so much!

Honored Contributor

On 2/16/2015 RespectLife said:

Thank you, Nightowlz! I don't know why Pinterest won't let me in....guess you must be a member.

I was able to see one person added a comment that they add 1T of white vinegar for tenderness....that I know for sure Laura added yesterday.

Thank you all so much!

I went back to Laura's Pinterest page & she added a post about using this recipe & adding 1 T white vinegar. Wonder when she adds the vinegar? Did you see or hear her say anything about that? I guess I will add the 1 T white vinegar to the recipe above so if anyone wants it it will be the right recipe.

The KitchenAid Lady on Q • 10 weeks ago

perfect pie crust tutorial by yourhomebasedmom, via Flickr KA Lady sez this is like the recipe I use but I add 1 Tablespoon white vinegar to make it extra tender

Honored Contributor

On 2/16/2015 RespectLife said:

Thank you oceantown....I copied Ree's to try.

I don't think Laura's had an egg....not 100% sure...but it did have both the butter & shortening, white vinegar and cold water just like Ree's.

I am going to keep going to I find a pie crust recipe I can do...and that tastes good!

I thought the reasoning (even tho I can't remember what Laura said, LOL) for having both butter and shortening made so much sense!

Thanks again oceantown....much appreciated!

She also stated she starts with all ingredients very cold. Also puts the bowl and beater in the freezer so everything is cold when she starts the recipe.

Honored Contributor

Thank you...yes, I do remember her saying that now. I am glad when I got my kitchenaid (which came w/ a glass bowl only) that I invested in an extra stainless bowl. Would be a better one to use in the freezer.