Frequent Contributor

44 Classic French Meals You Need To Try Before You Die

http://www.buzzfeed.com/marietelling/44-classic-french-meals-you-need-to-try-before-you-die#.eaEK0pV...

My parents sent me to Paris every summer when I was in High School to go to a Culinary Arts School. I believe that knowing how to cook is one of the most important lessons we can learn.

Frequent Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: 44 Classic French Meals You Need To Try Before You Die

You had me till Lamprey à la Bordelaise!

Excellent article, really interesting - thank you!

Here's the link to 44 Classic French Meals You Need To Try Before You Die

Super Contributor

#7, sole meuniere, has the dessert suggestion of kouign-amann (and links to a recipe for same). I just wanted to mention that Trader Joe's sells kouign-amann, and like all their croissant-type frozen pastries, they are wonderful.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you, So Happy Girl, for sharing the link. I love French food.

It must have been fun for you, going to France every summer.

I studied French while in high school, and as part of that, my French teacher would have us cook some well-known French classic foods in the school kitchen after class, for those of us who were in French Club together. That was so much fun. We made crepes together, and other foods. Smile

My Mom used to have a really good recipe for coq-au-vin that she used to make when I was younger, and then when I was older before I left home, I used to make it for us.

Super Contributor

I lived in France for three years, and was always interested in things French because my maternal grandfather was French, so I, too, am one of those who had a high school French teacher who taught us some French recipes in the kitchen. It added a dimension to language learning that you don't get, for instance, when you study Latin

French food is indeed a wonder, and their accumulated years of experience and use of fresh herbs, spices, sauces to dress up lesser meats, and vegetables that aren't overgrown make a particularly delightful cuisine. One of the big differences between their food and that of the British is the wonderful climate which gives them a long growing season and, therefore, the tender young veggies.

So, if you've noticed ingredients on French menus that aren't on other European menus, you may wonder why. When the French were besieged and encircled by their enemies years ago, they ran out of their normal foods. That is when snails, frogs, and horse meat became part of their diet. I learned to enjoy the snails and frog legs, but wasn't game to eat horse meat. Having learned their history, I admired the way they solved their problem.

One Christmas a French family invited us to celebrate with them. We went to midnight mass in a beautiful small church where nuns with perfect beautiful voices sang French carols, and poinsettia plants at the front of the chapel beautifully accented the black and white habits worn by the nuns. On the walk home in the crisp, cool night air, we went to the bakery de ville and picked up the turkey that our hostess had taken there earlier that day. I remember that later we started the meal with fresh oysters on the shell with chopped onion or lemon slices. That was my first, and last, time eating raw oysters, and it is a pleasant memory.

This article has beautiful photographs and some excellent dishes. I remember France as a country where courtesy and politeness were paramount. I haven't been there for years now, so I don't know if the French would find the vulgar, obnoxious and rude language of the author of this piece acceptable. I'd like to think not. Weird, too, when it's about food.

Honored Contributor

You should be so happy girl if you were fortunate enough to sent to Paris when you were a kid to learn to cook.

Esteemed Contributor

Having been to France 21 times, I had the great pleasure to have enjoyed many of these dishes. French cuisine is in a class of its own. It's impossible to describe the care, the ingredients, the flavors that make French food deservedly the best. Years ago, in a restaurant in Sarlat, in the Dordogne region of southwest France, I ordered a cassoulet (it's on that 44 list). When the server brought it to me in a beautiful, covered pottery dish he told me that this was a very important dish, emblematic of the region. It was one of the most delicious meals I've ever eaten.
Esteemed Contributor

With the exception of the bleeding duck, I'm going to make these recipes for my Ladies' Lunch!

Thank you so much for sharing!!!!!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.