Trusted Contributor

Has anyone tried Stovetop Meatloaf?

I just put one together for tonight's dinner. It was very easy so I hope it's good. I box stovetop 1 cup water 1 egg 1lb ground beef Mix the water and egg with a fork, add the stovetop and let sit for five minutes to soften. Add beef and mix well together. Shape into a meatloaf on a greased baking sheet or place in a loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. I'm going to add a topping about half way through baking, probably ketchup, mustard and brown sugar. Barbecue sauce would probably work well too. Anyone already had this? How was it?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone tried Stovetop Meatloaf?

My sister has told me about this recipe for years and just let it go in one ear.

Bought a box to try it with meatballs but was in a hurry.

I try the ST and could not believe how easy, neat and quick I was done. It was amazing, I did not add anything so try it first and do your adjustments on the next round. You will make it again.

Honored Contributor

No, but I did use the Stovetop with ground turkey, one can of green beans, one can of corn, cream of mushroom soup and threw in the onion rings and baked as a casserole.

It was so good!! Just cooked the stovetop like it calls for and browned the turkey then stuck all in the oven for about 30 minutes. Quick and easy mini Thanksgiving dinner.

Yours sounds like the next Stovetop project for me to try. Never thought about doing it with meatloaf. Oatmeal not needed with the stovetop. Enjoy!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

This is fabuous! I keep lots of stovetop on hand. you cn use it for so many things. try it as a coating for bakes chicken. just put it in a plastic bag and flatten it out until you get fine crumbs. so many uses for stovetop!

Occasional Contributor

I have made meat loaf using Stove Top Stuffing mix ever since Kraft came out with this recipe years ago. It is so easy to make this way and my family loves it. If you want to save a little money you can substitute using a generic stuffing mix.

Trusted Contributor

Coating for chicken? That's a good idea Christine! NanaK, do you usually put a topping on yours?
Esteemed Contributor

I have made it and it is very good. Not my favorite but spicy and tasty!

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, that sounds really good and easy. Thank you. I keep boxed stuffing on hand all the time too.

I made a casserole last week with chicken, stuffing, drained green beans and a can of chicken gravy. Not a health food, probably, but pretty tasty. I would term it a "comfort" food.

I found this recipe on the internet. I apologize that I don't know who to credit. It was on a page with a whole bunch of chicken/stuffing recipes. If someone just wanted a chicken and stuffing dish, they could omit the green beans.

QUICK CHICKEN AND STUFFIN' CASSEROLE

Pam spray
2 tbsp. butter
2 lbs. chicken tenders, boneless (I used breast tenderloins)

1 (16 oz.) can whole green beans, drained (I used cut green beans, not whole)
1 (12 oz.) jar chicken gravy (I used a canned gravy)
1 box any kind chicken or cornbread flavored stovetop stuffing (you can use low sodium Stove Top if desired)
Salt and pepper to taste
Durkee "natural blend" spice (I used a little poultry seasoning)
Covered baking or roasting dish (I baked mine uncovered!)

Spray the bottom of baking dish with Pam. Place chicken pieces in the bottom of dish. Salt, pepper and season lightly with natural spice. Place small pats of butter on top of chicken pieces. Bake about 30 minutes at 300 degrees or until chicken is just done, do not overcook.

Fix stuffing mix as per directions on box. Pour on top of cooked chicken in the baking dish (I poured most of the grease off first). Pour jar of gravy over the top, spreading evenly. Drain water from the can of beans. Place whole beans on top of mixture around the sides of the pan.

Cook again at 300 degrees about 15 to 20 minutes or until the gravy has melted through the mixture.

Note: the recipe didn't say what size baking pan to use. I started out with 9 x 13 pan but switched over to an 8 x 8. I wanted the stuffing to be thick and dense (which it was). I thought if I continued with the 9 x 13, the stuffing might be spread out too thin and be crispy. I suppose you could use two boxes if you wanted to keep it thick in the bigger pan. Or some may prefer it to be thinner and crispier. I don't think you can really go wrong with it either way. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

This sounds so good. Could you use peperidge farm instead. I think we have some of tbat at home.
Trusted Contributor

It was very good, I'm happy to have a new easy recipe to add to my list. I added a glaze and it made it extra yummy. My husband said he would have liked gravy with it but I thought it was good as is. I did roasted Parmesan broccoli and roasted tomato halves to go with it.