Honored Contributor

HELP WITH ICING FOR SUGAR COOKIES

Maybe I should have put this request under cookie exchange...but I usually get so much help here!

I am making Heart Cut Out Sugar Cookies for Valentine's Day for our church group. I would like to use a glaze instead of buttercream frostings like Cheryl's or Lofthouse use.

The problem is..I need the glaze to set hard! I will be making dozens and need to stack them without ruining my pretty (hopefully pretty) decorating! I will be just using sprinkles etc. to jazz them up.

The last time I glazed...it never hardened and I couldn't stack them! What a mess! I tried to google and came up with pages of useless info! I would greatly appreciate any help! TIA!!

Does any one have a glaze recipe that would set hard for sugar cookies?

Trusted Contributor

Re: HELP WITH ICING FOR SUGAR COOKIES

I make cut out sugar cookies all the time...I just use powdered sugar with a little milk. I just make it so it is spreadable. I then shake the (colored) sugar on top and let them set.

Jessa
Honored Contributor

Thanks, Jessa...that is what I tried. I maybe had my icing too thin. It was always kinda wet and never totally dried firm even when I put them in the frig.

I though I saw somewhere a icing that you pour over the cookies and it set..I was hoping for some ideas along those lines.

Honored Contributor

I am not much of a baker but I make cookies at Christmas that I frost and send. I also add a little cream to powdered sugar. I make it fairly thin. I usually add sprinkles or something to them and let them set overnight. That has always worked for me.

Super Contributor

Hey Respect! Check out Martha Stewart's Royal Icing on line. This should dry to a hard finish.

It is -

1 lb. powdered Sugar

5 T. meringue powder (safer than raw egg whites)

Scant 1/2 c. water (don't add all at one time)

Beat on low 'till smooth about 7 minutes. If too thick add more water, too thin beat 2-3 more minutes.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi RespectLife,

I haven't posted here in a long time. Many reasons but was lurking tonight when I saw your request. I have had luck using the recipe from allrecipes.com for sugar cookie icing by JBS BOX. It has over 2000 reviews. Even though it say's icing, it is more of a glaze. Very similar to the King Arthur's recipe.

Hope this helps with your endeavor. This recipe hardened and was shiny when dry. There should be no problem stacking your cookies! Wish I could taste test them for your first, though! {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Respected Contributor

On 2/3/2015 mustang66lady said:

Hi RespectLife, ...the recipe from allrecipes.com for sugar cookie icing by JBS BOX..."

This might be the recipe Mustang66lady references.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

Hi IamMrsG,

You are correct. I don't know how to post a link like you do and was worried my reply would get poofed if I posted the actual link itself. Thanks for helping out with my post. Have a peaceful evening.

Super Contributor

I use glaze for alot of my Christmas cookies...it needs to harden so I can pipe frosting on top of it. Here is the recipe I use. 1 lb powdered sugar, 1 egg white, 1/4 tsp vanilla or almond extract, 1 tablespoon crisco, and a bit of Karo syrup. I use my kitchen aid mixer and when it looks spreadable, I try a bit of it on a cookie to see if it will harden. When it sets up withing about 3 minutes I know it is right. If it is still too runny, I add more Karo syrup. The Karo syrup keeps the color true, gives it a shiny finish that stays and helps the glaze harden.

Esteemed Contributor

What's required for your use is "Royal Icing." Here you go:

Royal Icing: 2 egg whites and 2-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar. In a large bowl and using a hand mixer, beat the egg whites until they are frothy and slightly thickened. Add the sifted sugar into the whites ½ cup at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Continue to beat for about 5 minutes or until stiff icing is formed. Add a small round decorating tip to a pastry bag and work with 1 cup of the icing at a time; or, using a small knife of off-set spatula, spread onto cookie.