Super Contributor

baking for 2? favorite recipe?

I miss baking, but a whole cake, pie, or batch of biscuits or cupcakes is too much for my husband and me. So lately I have been buying those bags of frozen cookie dough and frozen biscuits, I can cook a few at a time. That's not the same as cooking from scratch. Does anyone have some favorite, tried and true, recipes for 2?

Honored Contributor

Re: baking for 2? favorite recipe?

I also love to bake but now that I moved south theres just the 2 of us unless we have company. This is what I tend to do - I bake my favorite recipe then I cut the slices and individually freeze them. If I have company or if we want a dessert I just defrost it. Freezing seems to work for us!
Honored Contributor

I whip up my favorite cookie dough and cook enough for our immediate craving and freeze the rest (just like the freezer dough you buy at the grocery store) except it's mine and homemade. When you freeze the dough, I portion it off into "packets" that are enough to make a dozen. I do this with my food saver. Works great {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

homedecor1... We were saying the same thing, LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Just 2 at our house as well and we are sweet eaters. I am also the queen of freeze, so I bake and slice up to individual servings and freeze, there is usually something sweet in my freezer.

Respected Contributor

A new book is coming out soon titled Desserts to Two. It was presented on Q and it's listed on Amazon. You might enjoy it. There are websites for baking for two, as well.
Honored Contributor

I also suggest...use the freezer.....I just finished baking 4 mini-loaves of banana bread....into the freezer...DH and I use one at a time on weekends. I bake cookies and put in freezer bringing out a few a time as needed. The freezer is your friend! Bake...Enjoy ....Freeze....Enjoy Again!
Honored Contributor

Redtabby: Oops I forgot to mention - I do my cookie dough in batches also BUT I scoop/cut shape and put on parchment lined cookie sheet into freezer covered. Once they are frozen (unbaked) I put them in container or foodsaver bag w/wax paper to separate if layered. I defrost or bake from partially frozen the amount I want (just like the overpriced cookie doughs pre-made in stores). I've also given to friends to enjoy at their leisure who are fighting the same dilemma ""2"".
Esteemed Contributor

Here's an easy peach cobbler, serves 4 or two servings each

1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup milk

2 tsp baking powder

Mix all together to make a paste and pour into pie dish or 8 X 8 X 2 baking dish

drain can of peaches (same size can as corn or green beans) and add peaches to paste mixture

dot with 1/2 of butter or margarine

Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown (about 45 minutes)

serve alone or with a scoop of ice cream

Occasional Visitor

hi redtabby,

we use a food service called "Hello Fresh" for some of our dinners for two. They deliver ingredients to your door that you chop fresh and bake. We get three meals for two people once a week with all the ingredients measured for you., and a beautiful recipe card included. You also get access to their entire recipe collection (hundreds upon hundreds) for two people. It has been the best thing ever. I too collect recipes for two from the Internet and QVC. David Venable is a genius and my favorite home cook.

Skillet Cheddar Bread

3/4 cup all purpose flour

2 tablespoons instant nonfat dry milk

2 tablespoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons firm butter (do not use margarine)

1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (1 oz)

1/3 cup water

1/2 teaspoon canola oil

Prep time, 10 minutes; start to finish 30 minutes; 4 servings

1. In medium bowl, mix flour, dry milk, sugar, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Cut in butter, using pastry blender (or pulling two knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until mixture looks like cornmeal. Gently stir in cheese. Stir in water just until dough forms (do not over-mix).

2. In 8 inch non-stick skillet, brush oil in bottom and up side. Press dough into 1/2 inch thick round. Cut into 4 wedges. Place wedges in skillet; cover with foil.

3. Cook over low het about 10 minutes or until puffed and bottom are light brown. Turn wedges; cook about 10 minutes longer or until cooked through.

For two, no need to heat your oven for this tasty bread, it "bakes" in your skillet and is a snap to stir together. Tightly wrap remaining wedges and chill or freeze for another time.

1 serving 170 calories.

From AARP--Betty Crocker Cooking for Two