Super Contributor

Yacovelli's Shrimp Ponchartrain

Yacovelli's is a name familiar to St. Louisans because of their many years and several restaurants and locations serving St. Louis families. Although they're no longer operative, friends and families remember their delicious food, friendly service, and the long run they enjoyed. It was Mr. Yacovelli who first 'invented' the salad bar concept, which soon became such a popular food world phenomenon. This unique shrimp recipe is a good example of their fare:

Yacovelli’s Shrimp Ponchartrain

(36) 21-25 count, per lb, shrimp
1 lb cream cheese, at room temperature
1 oz crumbled blue cheese, about 1/4 c
1/2 c cream
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
4 drops Tabasco
2 c milk
2 eggs
1 c all-purpose flour or more as needed
1 1/2 c dry bread crumbs or more as needed
Vegetable oil, for deep frying

Peel and devein shrimp. For ease of handling, leave tails intact. Steam shrimp just until cooked through. Let cool. Cut a "pocket" in the back of each shrimp, 3/4 through, from head to top of tail section.

Combine cheese, blue cheese, cream, Worcestershire and Tabasco; mix thoroughly. Spoon filling into pocket of each shrimp, pressing to fill cavity. Place stuffed shrimp on a tray;
refrigerate for 1 hour.

Combine milk and eggs in measuring cup or narrow bowl, whisking until well blended. Place flour and crumbs in two separate shallow dishes. Dip each stuffed shrimp in egg mixture, roll in flour, dip back into egg mixture, then roll in crumbs.

Arrange in a single layer on a cookie sheet; place in freezer for at least 1 hour or until ready to cook.

Add oil to a deep skillet to a depth of 1 inch; heat to 325 deg F. Fry shrimp until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Do not overcook, or filling will melt away. Drain on paper towels; serve hot. Yield: 36 stuffed shrimp, 9 appetizer or 6 main course servings.

Testers' note: A table knife works well for stuffing the shrimp.

Yacovelli's served shrimp Ponchartrain both as an appetizer and as a main course. Though served at the restaurant with drawn butter, the dish is very rich without anything at all. One ounce of blue cheese (we used gorgonzola) doesn't sound like much, but the flavor comes through in a lovely, subtle style. Most of the preparation must be done ahead, but fry the shrimp just before serving.

Regular Contributor

Re: Yacovelli's Shrimp Ponchartrain

BeeBee2: This sounds so delicious that I can't wait to try it. Must get that sized shrimp as what I have in the freezer are much bigger (14-16/lb.) or smaller. We eat a lot of shrimp up here and I am always looking for new recipes to try. Thanks for posting this!!

Super Contributor

AnneMary, I'm so glad you can use this recipe. I think you'll enjoy it. I'll bet you have some good shrimp recipes, too?

Respected Contributor

Oh. My. Goodness. You've done it again, Beebee2.

I see this on a menu in the near future, maybe with a small portion of Aglio e Olio on the side.

Thank you for this one.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.