Frequent Contributor

aunt berties scalloped potatoes recipe

Could someone please post for me. I have looked and can't find. Pleas help thanks
Esteemed Contributor

Re: aunt berties scalloped potatoes recipe

From AB's original post about this recipe:

Aunt Bertie's Scalloped Potatoes

Thinly slice enough raw Russet potatoes to fill a baking casserole the size you need. I use a deep corning ware dish. The number of potatoes you use depends on the number of people you are serving, but do not make for fewer than four, as the method won't work. Use Russet potatoes or it won’t turn out right.

Salt the potatoes lightly if desired.

Pour enough heavy cream over the top of the potatoes to come within one inch BELOW the top of the potatoes.

That's it ladies, just two ingredients, potatoes and cream. You'll find that people will swear that you put cheese in them. They come out thick and rich and delicious.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 2 hours, depending on size of dish. They should be crusty brown on top and tender when pierced with a knife.

This recipe is exactly how my Grandmother taught me to make them,

I do add onions to mine. If i don't have heavy cream on hand I have made it with evaporated milk and they came out great.

I have also added chunks of ham if I have it in the house. I like it with the ham too.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you so much. Do I cover the dish
Esteemed Contributor

That was AB's original post that I copied and saved.

She didn't say to cover or not cover the casserole. I cover mine but always uncover toward the end so it forms a nice crispy crust!

This just might be on the table for dinner tonite.

Regular Contributor

Hi Gillsburg, I also tried to do a search off a s on to find this much talked about and much loved recipe. And......only this week I was lucky to find it tucked in an old post on the forum. Made me happy! I cannot wait to make it because it has been mentioned often in posts listing all-time favorites of past posters. I am glad you have it now too. People on this board are so helpful when someone asks for help. Enjoy it. I will too. Cece
Trusted Contributor

Since this thread is about potatoes, maybe someone could help me. I try to make french fries or skillet fried potatoes. No matter if I use oil/butter for the fried potatoes and on a cookie sheet or screen or even a pizza stone, they are always soggy. They LOOk crisp, but aren't. Could it be the type of potatoes? Yesterday I tried golden potatoes. Other times, Idaho.

Esteemed Contributor

Do you think Aunt Bertie's potatoes would work in 3"" deep 6"" round baking dishes? I don't need a pan full but they sound sooooo good.

Contributor

Omaigoodness!!! Sounds so good! Thanks!
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/23/2015 Zhills said:

Do you think Aunt Bertie's potatoes would work in 3"" deep 6"" round baking dishes? I don't need a pan full but they sound sooooo good.

A 1qt casserole is the smallest dish I've used. It only has 2 ingredients you're not spending a fortune.

Maybe someone who has made a smaller quantity has experience?

Trusted Contributor

On 1/23/2015 baileysue said:

Since this thread is about potatoes, maybe someone could help me. I try to make french fries or skillet fried potatoes. No matter if I use oil/butter for the fried potatoes and on a cookie sheet or screen or even a pizza stone, they are always soggy. They LOOk crisp, but aren't. Could it be the type of potatoes? Yesterday I tried golden potatoes. Other times, Idaho.

I find russets work well but the oven needs to be screaming hot. I start mine at 450 degrees.