Honored Contributor

SOUTHWEST CHICKEN, CORN AND SWEET POTATO CHOWDER

Found this recipe in Soup of the Day cookbook. Nice change.

1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in 3/4 inch dice
3 T unsalted butter
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch dice
1 qt chicken stock (preferably homemade)
2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
2 t adobo sauce
1 - 15 oz can creamed corn
1 cup fresh corn or frozen corn thawed
2 cups half & half
salt and pepper to taste
3 T chopped fresh cilantro for garnish

Heat butter in soup pot. Add chicken and cook until opaque. Add pepper, onion and garlic. Cook stirring frequently until onion is translucent. Add sweet potatoes, stock, chipotle chiles and adobo sauce to pot and stir well.

Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer on low covered for about 35 minutes. Add the creamed corn, corn and half & half and simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle each serving the cilantro.

I typed the recipe as given but I reduced the chipotle chiles to one and 1 t adobo sauce. We like spicy food but not hot food.

Also I used red garnet yams.

Honored Contributor

Re: SOUTHWEST CHICKEN, CORN AND SWEET POTATO CHOWDER

Oh YUM DiAnne, YUM! Thanks so much for posting what was on my mind!!

I just took chix thighs out of the freezer this morning and was going to do a Southwestern Chix Style soup.

I have to get some sweet pots/yams but I am going to try this instead! I have everything else on hand. Thanks for sharing the reduction of chilies/adobe. DH is a wimp when it comes to heat so I'll toned it down like you did.

Only thing is...I have a 'thing' about creamed corn. I may have to play with adding more half and half instead and more reg corn. I think that would be okay, do you?

Honored Contributor

RespectLife - I don't like canned cream corn either (there is no way I could eat it plain) but it has a distinctive taste and I think you need it in this chowder. It is diluted with the chicken broth and the half & half.

Honored Contributor

Hi DiAnne...I made this last night and it was fantastic! Truly... always appreciate your recipes and they never disappoint.

Instead of the creamed corn, I put a full bag of Wegman's Organic Steamed Sweet Corn in...and used heavy cream instead of half and half. I needed to use that cream up anyways. It was so good! I also had some chix sausage to use up so I threw that in w/ some adobo seasoning.

DH loved it and said it is def. on the repeat list! I honestly have never made a soup with sweet pots! They were just delicious in this soup. I may toss some black beans or chic peas in next time too.

It was nice to have this not be tomato based for a change!

You are right about the distinctive taste that creamed corn has! That is the part I can't get past! LOL But DH loves creamed corned so next time I make this I promise to use it.

Respected Contributor

I'm compiling next week's menu today. This is going on it, with a pan of cornbread alongside. Thanks, DiAnne. Whenever I see a recipe with your name associated with it, I know it's trustworthy. RespectLife, I'm adding your comments as a footnote to the file. Thanks for sharing them.

--MrsG

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

RespectLife - I am so glad you liked the soup. I had a bowl for lunch today. You really don't get canned cream corn taste so don't be afraid!!

IamMrsG - Hope you enjoy it. Sounds delicious with the cornbread!

Respected Contributor

DiAnne, !! I just turned off the heat from under a pot of this chowder. I stopped after adding the corn, to finish it tomorrow afternoon for tomorrow's dinner, with the aforementioned corn bread.

Initially, I took one spoonful to taste. Then I reached for a prep bowl and gave myself another two spoonsful, for the sheer enjoyment of it. It is delicious, even without the addition of the half 'n half yet.

I have no doubt my DH is going to thoroughly enjoy this, and it is destined to be a regular in our winter menus. Thank you, DiAnne, for sharing this with us.

Edited to correct a typo. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2015 IamMrsG said:

DiAnne, !! I just turned off the heat from under a pot of this chowder. I stopped after adding the corn, to finish it tomorrow afternoon for tomorrow's dinner, with the aforementioned corn bread.

Initially, I took one spoonful to taste. Then I reached for a prep bowl and gave myself another two spoonsful, for the sheer enjoyment of it. It is delicious, even without the addition of the half 'n half yet.

I have no doubt my DH is going to thoroughly enjoy this, and it is destined to be a regular in our winter menus. Thank you, DiAnne, for sharing this with us.

Edited to correct a typo. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

IamMrsG - I am so happy to hear that. I have been working on a vegetable soup that I am going to make one more time with some changes - if it comes out like I think it will I'll post it.