Esteemed Contributor

do you make a particular soup; chicken noodle, beef barley, ham & bean, unstuffed pepper or do you make GOMER soup, "Surprise, surprise, surprise!"

Trusted Contributor

I am not too keen on it, but everyone always wants my 15 bean soup, or Taco soup.......Kiss I got my dad hooked on the 15 bean soup......

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Esteemed Contributor

I make all kinds of soups as I love soup. I make french onion, vegetable with pumpkin and kale, escarole and white bean with chicken, broccoli and cheddar, minestrone, butternut squash, split pea, lentil, chicken noodle, Thai coconut, miso and black bean to name a few. I usually make enough for one or two bowls to have right away and then I freeze a good amount so I always have some available when I don't really feel like cooking.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Mostly, I make soup to clean up my leftovers. Thus , it is never the same twice. Once in a while I make a special soup from scratch from a recipe.

Respected Contributor
During the cold weather I make and eat a lot of soup. I always have chicken soup (Jewish penicillin) on hand in the freezer. Who wants to cook if you're sick? Otherwise I make butternut squash, pea, 15 bean, vegetable, mushroom barley etc. My neighbors love when I cook. They always get a container full and ask for the chicken soup specifically. I take hot soup in my thermos for lunch almost all winter long.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I make lots of soups too. Here is the one I made most recently.

Italian Sausage, Greens and Sweet Potato soup (my favorite)

Saute 1 large diced onion in 2 T olive or coconut oil to soften.
Add 2 cloves minced garlic
Add 1 pound sausage (casing removed) and breaking into bite-size pieces with wooden spoon, cooking thoroughly.
Add 3 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed (about 1 to 1-1/2 pounds).
Add 4 cups chicken broth.
Add 4 cups water and bring to a boil about 3 minutes.
8-16 ounces of frozen peas
16 ounces frozen corn
Diced carrots, about a half pound.
Add 1/2 pound fine pasta such as Anelli or other, cook until al dente (I actually like couscous).

I like salty food so I add Dale's sauce to taste, or make your own with soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce (my son adds several beef bullion cubes ground to paste with Worcestershire sauce and another son eliminates the salty taste and just adds the Worcestershire sauce).

Add 4 cups of greens of your choice, cooked until wilt stage, copped but not too fine (be sure to clean and prepare before adding to pot). Greens should be dark and bright green to achieve nutrients desired. (I add some brown sugar here to cut the bitter from turnips, kale or mustard, whichever I use). I sort of judge how much on this and the sauce.

Add cayenne pepper and parsley, tarragon and basil to taste.
Pepper flakes and grated Parmesan are a good accoutrement to this recipe at serving time.

*This makes a lot. After we have consumed whatever we like, I allow the stock pot cool and place in zip lock bags which I can freeze and warm up later on days when I am too busy to cook.

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/8/2015 namealreadytaken said:

I make lots of soups too. Here is the one I made most recently.

Italian Sausage, Greens and Sweet Potato soup (my favorite)

Saute 1 large diced onion in 2 T olive or coconut oil to soften.
Add 2 cloves minced garlic
Add 1 pound sausage (casing removed) and breaking into bite-size pieces with wooden spoon, cooking thoroughly.
Add 3 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed (about 1 to 1-1/2 pounds).
Add 4 cups chicken broth.
Add 4 cups water and bring to a boil about 3 minutes.
8-16 ounces of frozen peas
16 ounces frozen corn
Diced carrots, about a half pound.
Add 1/2 pound fine pasta such as Anelli or other, cook until al dente (I actually like couscous).

I like salty food so I add Dale's sauce to taste, or make your own with soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce (my son adds several beef bullion cubes ground to paste with Worcestershire sauce and another son eliminates the salty taste and just adds the Worcestershire sauce).

Add 4 cups of greens of your choice, cooked until wilt stage, copped but not too fine (be sure to clean and prepare before adding to pot). Greens should be dark and bright green to achieve nutrients desired. (I add some brown sugar here to cut the bitter from turnips, kale or mustard, whichever I use). I sort of judge how much on this and the sauce.

Add cayenne pepper and parsley, tarragon and basil to taste.
Pepper flakes and grated Parmesan are a good accoutrement to this recipe at serving time.

*This makes a lot. After we have consumed whatever we like, I allow the stock pot cool and place in zip lock bags which I can freeze and warm up later on days when I am too busy to cook.

This sounds excellent. I am really big on adding tons of greens and brightly colored veggies like sweet potatoes and pumpkin to soups. I love the taste but I love the nutrition it adds to soups.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I make different soups/stews. Just made Chicken Noodle Soup Tues. in the pressure cooker.

Honored Contributor

Irshgrl, I hope you will try it or make your own version thereof.