Esteemed Contributor

Need a tasty veggie, and easy breakfast casserole

for Christmas morning. Can anyone help me out?

TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Need a tasty veggie, and easy breakfast casserole

This is not a casserole, but a Christmas frittata, it has tomatoes, onions, garlic, & cheese and is really good ......... this is what I will be having for Christmas brunch!

Honored Contributor

I think pretty much all veg is good so I guess that would be subjective. Cook whatever veg you, and/or your guests, will like.

As for this 'breakfast casserole' thing - Clearly, it's not my area but I've seen numerous threads about this so a quick search will garner some recipes. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I was thinking some type of strata (sp?). ....with the bread, milks, eggs, etc. Most of them have sausage. Perhaps I could substitute the meat for veggies like broccoli or mushrooms??

Honored Contributor

Mmm - sausage! Chicky loves sausage. I have one little idea that might help about sausage - When I'm making something with sausage in it (that's not to be Italian sausage) I get Jimmy Dean - one pound of the hot and one pound of the sage - and mix them together.

I don't care for 'hot', so this isn't hot but the mixture of the hot and sage makes very flavorful sausage.

Frequent Contributor

NaturalBorn Woman posted this recipe that I am going to try (half recipe using mini croissants as suggested) You can probably substitute lots of veggies for the salmon.

OP: NaturalBornWoman - We enjoy this recipe for dinner sometimes. When making the salmon version, I like to add asparagus. The Ham version is excellent with homemade salsa. Makes a really nice presentation. So easy to do!
Recipe can be cut in half to serve 4-6 people. I prepared in a pretty, large, round fluted stoneware pie dish using the mini crossiants - cover w/foil last 15 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning.

Salmon (or Ham) Croissant Breakfast Casserole

6 -8 plain croissants, day old is fine
8 ounces gruyere cheese, grated (or your favorite good melting cheese)
4 ounces smoked salmon or 4 ounces cooked ham, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh chives or 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
12 large eggs
3 cups whole milk
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Butter a 9 x 13 inch ovenproof dish& set aside.

Slice the croissants in half (as if you were making a sandwich)& reserve the top halves.

Cube the bottom halves& place in a very large mixing bowl.

Mix in the cheese, salmon (or ham)& chives; set aside.

Mix eggs, milk& seasonings in a separate bowl; add to the croissant mixture & combine well.

Spoon into the prepared baking dish.

Arrange the reserved croissant halves on top of the casserole.

Gently press into the egg mixture to ensure that they get moistened.

Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight; then bring to room temp before baking

Bake in a reheated 350F oven for 50 minutes to an hour or until puffed up & golden brown.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/22/2014 iQue said:

NaturalBorn Woman posted this recipe that I am going to try (half recipe using mini croissants as suggested) You can probably substitute lots of veggies for the salmon.

OP: NaturalBornWoman - We enjoy this recipe for dinner sometimes. When making the salmon version, I like to add asparagus. The Ham version is excellent with homemade salsa. Makes a really nice presentation. So easy to do!
Recipe can be cut in half to serve 4-6 people. I prepared in a pretty, large, round fluted stoneware pie dish using the mini crossiants - cover w/foil last 15 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning.

Salmon (or Ham) Croissant Breakfast Casserole

6 -8 plain croissants, day old is fine
8 ounces gruyere cheese, grated (or your favorite good melting cheese)
4 ounces smoked salmon or 4 ounces cooked ham, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh chives or 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
12 large eggs
3 cups whole milk
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Butter a 9 x 13 inch ovenproof dish& set aside.

Slice the croissants in half (as if you were making a sandwich)& reserve the top halves.

Cube the bottom halves& place in a very large mixing bowl.

Mix in the cheese, salmon (or ham)& chives; set aside.

Mix eggs, milk& seasonings in a separate bowl; add to the croissant mixture & combine well.

Spoon into the prepared baking dish.

Arrange the reserved croissant halves on top of the casserole.

Gently press into the egg mixture to ensure that they get moistened.

Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight; then bring to room temp before baking

Bake in a reheated 350F oven for 50 minutes to an hour or until puffed up & golden brown.

YUMMY!!!!!! Thank you!