Trusted Contributor

Help please with recipe ingrediant

I'm trying a new cookie and it calls for 1/2 lb. of shortening. (Make that Crisco). I thought just use 8 ounces. Then to be sure I checked with google. Am I ever confused now.

I guess shortening weighs less that butter per say. I'm at a loss----can anyone please help.

Edited to include Crisco.

Jamma

Frequent Contributor

Re: Help please with recipe ingrediant

You can purchase Crisco in stick-form and measurements are marked off just like a stick of butter. Easy to measure.

Honored Contributor

Butter can be substituted for shortening, can it not? I always thought this was true.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

A half pound is a half pound by weight. I think the confusion comes in with volume.

A cup of shortening (8 fluid ounces) weighs slightly less than 8 ounces (by weight). So, a cup of butter will weigh somewhat more than a cup of shortening. This is die, in part, to the water sand milk solids in the butter (oil weighs less).

Weigh the ingredients if you can, and you will be fine.

Honored Contributor

Anyone remember the way we were taught back in Home Ec? Take a measuring cup(say you need 1/2 cup or 4 ozs) fill the cp w/water to 4 ozs. and then add the Crisco it will displace its own weight.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/18/2014 house_cat said:

Butter can be substituted for shortening, can it not? I always thought this was true.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The cookies I want to make are round and puffy. I believe using butter would make a flatter spread out cookie.

Jamma

Trusted Contributor

It's the cup vs. lb. that has me confused.

Jamma

Valued Contributor

Agree with the suggestion posted earlier. Buy the sticks. They are in ounces and 8 ounces is a half pound. And you are right, substituting butter would change the consistency of the cookie.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/18/2014 cotto22 said:

Agree with the suggestion posted earlier. Buy the sticks. They are in ounces and 8 ounces is a half pound. And you are right, substituting butter would change the consistency of the cookie.

Thanks so much for the help. Now I can only hope my supermarket has the sticks.

Jamma

Valued Contributor

One pound of shortening is approximately 2 1/3 cups.