Respected Contributor

I am making leg of lamb Friday. I love the Greek potatoes but have not had good luck at making them. I do know that baking potatoes, oregano and lemon is used but how do I actually cook them.

Any help would be great.

Honored Contributor

Brown them first in olive oil on top of the stove before you place them to be baked. That way you get that crispness on certain parts of the potato.

When they bake, sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano. At the end, squeeze on a little lemon.

Honored Contributor

Had them once at a Greek restaurant and would've liked them but couldn't' get past the lemon taste... I'm not a big fan of lemon anyway (other than cake...) but especially not on potatoes...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor
On 12/17/2014 Goldie76 said:

Brown them first in olive oil on top of the stove before you place them to be baked. That way you get that crispness on certain parts of the potato.

When they bake, sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano. At the end, squeeze on a little lemon.

Thanks for your reply.

I thought about "softening" them up a bit by partially boiling them but, NO?

Also, after I brown them and season them, should I put them around the roast to soak up the juice a bit?

Honored Contributor
On 12/17/2014 Gooday said:

Thanks for your reply.

Also, after I brown them and season them, should I put them around the roast to soak up the juice a bit?

Gooday, I wasn't clear, and I hope I am not confusing you. The initial browning is just that, a browning of them all over but not a cooking of them. After you brown them, place them in with your meat. They should cook during the last hour (or so) of your meat's cooking time. When they are cooked, then you squeeze a little lemon over them.

Honored Contributor

I do agree, lemon and potatoes seem like an odd couple. But Greek food hasn't failed me yet so I'd give it the benefit of a doubt.

Contributor

Hi Gooday! Here's a recipe for Greek Lemon Potatoes which was posted by adoreqvc awhile back. I think it's just what you're looking for.

Greek Oven Roasted Lemon Potatoes prep time: 20 minutes for boiling potatoes

Cook Time:
1 hrs 25 mins

Servings: 6

3 lbs yukon gold potatoes or 3 lbs other waxy potatoes, peeled
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano

1 teaspoon dried dill

1 teaspoon dried mint
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth or home made chicken broth.

Directions:
Peel potatoes and if very large cut them in half then quarter them.if medium size just quarter them.

boil gently until half way tender but still resistive.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Put the potatoes and marinade in an oven roasting pan mixing very well until potatoes are thoroughly coated with the mixture.

Roast for 1hr 25min, turning occasionally.
There should be plenty of sauce left over after roasting.
You can put these under the broiler for 5 minutes to crisp them up if you prefer.

Here's the thread:

the house smells so delicious!

Respected Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

Gooday, I wasn't clear, and I hope I am not confusing you. The initial browning is just that, a browning of them all over but not a cooking of them. After you brown them, place them in with your meat. They should cook during the last hour (or so) of your meat's cooking time. When they are cooked, then you squeeze a little lemon over them.

Another question - are these potatoes peeled or unpeeled? Are they whole? I make Greek pork chops and am looking for something to go with them.

Thanks

Honored Contributor
On 12/17/2014 Lannie said:

Thanks for your reply.

Another question - are these potatoes peeled or unpeeled? Are they whole? I make Greek pork chops and am looking for something to go with them.

Thanks

Peeled and typically quartered, if large enough. Otherwise, halved. Quartered length-wise.

Respected Contributor
On 12/17/2014 Lannie said:

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks

Peeled and typically quartered, if large enough. Otherwise, halved. Quartered length-wise.

Thank you for the picture - it says a thousand words!!!! I made them and put them in the last hour with my baked pork chops and they were delicious, complimented them perfectly. I know I will make these again. Something a little different.

Oh, I forgot to put lemon on them at the end, but they were so good as they were, so I don't know if I would even add it next time.

Thanks again!