Respected Contributor

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe they'd like to share. I want to make boneless chops approx. 1.5 inches thick and just don't know how long to cook them. Recipes say cook to approx. 150 degrees, but how can you take the temp of the meat when it's stuffed. I'm afraid I'd hit the stuffing and not the meat. Please help!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stuffed Baked Pork Chops

This is not my info...I found it on line buy it certainly has some good advice to me. Hope it helps.

Stuffed pork chops are a tricky lot, both bone-in and boneles.

The best bet to get them done evenly is to bring the whole assembly up to or near room temperature before baking.

The challenge is to get the inside stuffing warm enough to eat while the meat does not exceed 140 to 145F or else it will dry out.

For me, I both make them at home as well as buy them already stuffed from my butcher.

For nice a version, I bring to room temp, brown lightly and very quickly on each side and them put in 350 oven until meat reads 145F internal hoping the stuffing will be close to that.
Over 150F internal on the pork can begin the dry out.

For when I;m lazy, I bring to room temp, then quickly fry as above and then cook in 350 oven until meat reaches 135-140F. I then pull and hold and finsih in the microwave in a bowl with cling film covering in short bursts to get the stuffing hot. The cover cling film keeps the moisture in and while the pork may cook a little more, will not get into the dry zone.

I face the same problem with "overstuffed" chix breasts I find.

Correct amount of stuffing tends to make things easier if making at home.

Covering them during cooking creates more of a braise situation but you can pull cover off last few minutes to crisp up stuffing.

Respected Contributor

Zhills, thank you for passing on this information. I will print it out and may use it or I may just make the chops in the pressure cooker. Lately, that's how I've cooked PC only they were not that thick, nor stuffed. Browned on the stove top , added some cream of mushroom soup, onions and a little water and cooked for about 15-17 minutes. I may try this method, but not sure about the time. Any suggestions, anyone???

Valued Contributor

Great info - thank you!

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Regular Contributor

This is cool......I was thinking about stuffed pork chops just about 3 days ago!

My Mom & Gram fixed them this way. They made up some stuffing....the usual onion and celery type. They'd brown the chops first in a skillet then transfer them to a shallow like pan. Then put nice "blobs" of stuffing on top, put them in the oven and bake them. The stuffing was always done and just a tad crusty on top. I can't remember if they made any gravy for them or not, but when I do them for DH and myself, I use a packet of Knorr Port Gravy mix in the browning pan so I can use any juices and/or flavor. Sometimes I'll put a couple of tablespoons of water in the baking pan to get more juices to dump in the gravy.

You have my mouth watering for them now!! I truly adore them!