Frequent Contributor

Dose anyone have a dessert recipe for after Christmas dinner?

Regular Contributor
When I was in college we had a dessert called Zebras. I still will make it for holidays. Ingredients: 1box Nabisco chocolate wafers 1large tub Cool Whip, or if you prefer mix your own whipped cream Spread the whipped topping on the chocolate wafer cookies...after you have grouped 4 or 6 together, stand them on end. Continue until you use up the box of cookies. You will wind up with a cookie log. Cover the log with more whipped topping...(I've colored it green for Christmas.) Refridgerate until you are ready to serve. Slice the log on an angle, therefore getting the zebra effect. Tastes a bit like cookies and cream.
Trusted Contributor

I go to a good Italian Pastry shop. The choices can satisfy any ones appetite. We always had Italian pastry on holidays since I can remember. It's one of my favorite things.

Jamma

Respected Contributor

Not much help here...I always order a cake from our favorite bakery.

Honored Contributor

I have a wonderful recipe for cranberry mousse that has 5 ingredients to it. It is so good.

Respected Contributor
On 12/20/2014 sward05 said: When I was in college we had a dessert called Zebras. I still will make it for holidays. Ingredients: 1box Nabisco chocolate wafers 1large tub Cool Whip, or if you prefer mix your own whipped cream Spread the whipped topping on the chocolate wafer cookies...after you have grouped 4 or 6 together, stand them on end. Continue until you use up the box of cookies. You will wind up with a cookie log. Cover the log with more whipped topping...(I've colored it green for Christmas.) Refridgerate until you are ready to serve. Slice the log on an angle, therefore getting the zebra effect. Tastes a bit like cookies and cream.

Those sound good! The kids would like the stripes.

I'm making something similar.

Eclairs

A layer of graham crackers in the bottom of a 9X13 pan

A layer of 1 sm 3.4oz box instant pudding. I like the Cheesecake flavor for this.

A container of Cool Whip

A 2nd layer of graham crackers

Gently warm a container of chocolate frosting in the microwave, just until you can spread it easily & pour it over the top layer of graham crackers.

Refrigerate.

I like to make it the day before so that the graham crackers soften & it cuts easily, but it's just as good made the day of.

Not too filling or sweet.

Super Contributor

A trifle makes a nice holiday dessert, not too heavy, fruity and festive.

Valued Contributor

We always just have the assortment of Christmas candies and cookies I make.

I wish there were a nice bakery around us; pastries sound nice!

Trusted Contributor

Not a fan of Cool Whip, but my mom made that "Zebras" dessert on occasion. The instructions are on the package of chocolate wafers

I also love that Eclair cake, although the topping in my recipe is 1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 c. sugar, 1/4 c. milk, 1 stick (1/2 c.) butter, and 1 tsp. vanilla. You want to combine the cocoa powder, sugar, and milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for about 1 minute, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted. Once you assemble the whole thing (of course I use real whipped cream instead of Cool Whip, but you can do either), refrigerate overnight. Crazy good!

No-Bake Chocolate Eclair Dessert, best if made a day ahead of serving

Trusted Contributor
On 12/21/2014 Holly Jolly JingleBells said:

A trifle makes a nice holiday dessert, not too heavy, fruity and festive.

We have done a trifle many years. A pavlova is also a nice alternative. This year my DD wants a cake. She hasn't specified what kind of cake, so I've been looking at recipes. Any suggestions?