Frequent Contributor

What herbs/seasoning do you put in your chicken soup??

My homeade chicken noodle soup always seems to be lacking something flavor-wise.... Help !!! TIA
Respected Contributor

Re: What herbs/seasoning do you put in your chicken soup??

Garlic, parsley and French thyme.
Trusted Contributor

Salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, thyme, sometimes a little sweet curry powder.

Honored Contributor

I add a little cayenne pepper and Rosemary along with the herbs others have suggested.I like to squeeze a little fresh lemon juice in too.When I make the stock I use bay leaves garlic celery onion and tyme and add a little regular vinegar.
Regular Contributor

Just went through that I haven't cooked it for just one which was still enough for a family and I can't use much salt because of health. I put a lot of fresh garlic, cilantro, celery, onion and I made it a day ahead to let it sit and still bland. So I put fresh salsa in it and that did the trick even put some low car/calorie tortillas in it and it was really good. Hard to make soup for one I actually do better with beans.

Super Contributor

My recipe comes from my grandmother, who used to say that the chicken nowadays does not have the same flavor as the ones years ago. She's probably correct due to the way they are raised now. I use onion, celery with some leaves, carrots, a can of diced tomatoes, salt, peppercorns, and 2 bay leaves. After I strain it, I add 3-4 chicken bouillon cubes, because I agree, it lacks flavor at times. I correct the seasoning, then add a little fresh grated nutmeg before serving over noodles. I do not put the noodles into the soup, because usually there is some leftover, and the noodles get too mushy in the soup. Sometimes I make it a day ahead, chill it, then dispose of most of the fat that hardens on top.

Forgot to mention that I use either a roast chicken carcass, or fresh chicken backs. You could use a whole fresh chicken, and use a lot of the meat for casseroles, etc.

Super Contributor

Anything chicken I add some cumin. Soup, chicken salad, enchiladas, whatever.
Honored Contributor

sea salt, freshly ground pepper, garlic (or garlic powder), onion and onion powder, turmeric, fresh parsley, saffron, and some fresh lemon or lime.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I concur with the previous posts - there are many ways to make chicken soup - but I find that a pinch of sugar brings out the flavor like nothing else (I'm Swedish, and that's what we do).

I have two beautiful ham bones in the freezer and I can't wait to make some stock. Added to the chicken stock I already have . . . yum.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Here's my recipe:

Chicken Noodle Soup

4 chicken breast halves – boned, skinned, and cut into bite-size pieces

2 Tablespoons butter

1 large onion, diced

2 or 3 stalks celery, large dice

2 large garlic cloves, crushed

2 large carrots--sliced thinly

1 quart chicken stock

3 - 4 cups water

1 - 2 Tablespoon(s) fresh rosemary, finely chopped

Salt and pepper to taste

homemade noodles

Melt butter in Dutch oven, and cook the chicken pieces just until no longer pink. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Add onion to pan and sauté just until soft. Add celery and carrots, and sauté just until soft. Add garlic, cooking another minute or two. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.

Pour in a little stock (½ cup or so), to deglaze the pan. Return the chicken, its collected juices and the vegetables to the pot. Pour in remaining chicken stock and 2 cups water. Stir and bring to boil. Reduce heat. Pull rosemary leaves from and discard stems, and chop finely. Add to pot and stir. If soup appears too thick, up to 2 more cups of water can be added.

Refrigerate overnight.

Next day: Make noodles and drop into boiling soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Noodles

1 cup sifted flour

½ teaspoon salt

1 egg, beaten

1-2 Tablespoon(s) water or milk

Measure flour onto a work surface or into a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour and add egg, water and salt into the center. Mix to make a stiff paste.

Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and knead until it forms a smooth ball. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.

Roll out to a 1/8-inch thickness. Turn and roll very thin. (A pasta machine may be used).

Allow to dry for 1 hour, then cut into lengthwise strips of 2 1/2-inches wide and stack. Then slice the other way to one-eighth to one-sixteenth inch width. Separate and allow to dry.

Add noodles to chicken soup and cook on high for 20 minutes.

Variation: To make pot-pie noodles, cut noodles into 1 ½ to 2 inch squares.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.