Trusted Contributor

Please help me out to please my dad......

My dad mentioned that he liked chocolate covered pretzels (especially with white chocolate, and small pretzels, not the sticks), and I would like to make him some.....and that is something that I have never made (my mom did).......can you help me out with a recipe and method..........???? Any help would greatly be appreciated...Kiss

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

Re: Please help me out to please my dad......

They showed some decadent looking presents on the Posh presents show last night. I know you want to make some, but take a look at the variety to get some good ideas. The white chocolate ones had truffle oil (?) in them. They looked so good!!!

Honored Contributor

I can't help either other than to note that for me, it just makes more sense to purchase some things than to make them. These are one of those things...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/13/2014 Lucky charm said:

They showed some decadent looking presents on the Posh presents show last night. I know you want to make some, but take a look at the variety to get some good ideas. The white chocolate ones had truffle oil (?) in them. They looked so good!!!

Great response! I saw them presented last night, and I was tempted on purchasing them, but I'm watching my sugar. This would be what I would purchase for her dad. The item number is M46626

Occasional Contributor

This is easy. All you have to do is buy the candy making chocolate in a big grocery store. They usually come as discs packaged in a bag. Melt the choc. in a double boiler or as directed on the pkg. and dip your pretzels in with a fork. Lay on waxed paper. White choc. pretzels look nice coated with sprinkles.

Honored Contributor

On 12/13/2014 BlingQueen022 said:
On 12/13/2014 Lucky charm said:

Great response! I saw them presented last night, and I was tempted on purchasing them, but I'm watching my sugar. This would be what I would purchase for her dad. The item number is M46626

I just fast forwarded through the show and stopped to watch the pretzels for a few seconds.

I gave up sugar on Wednesday and that was the first thing that gave me a *ping*. Quickly hit fast forward again!

Super Contributor

The very simplest and very tasty way is to microwave chocolate chips, your preferred flavor, in the microwave at 30 second intervals. They don't break down immediately, so you have to stir them to see if they've begun to melt, then try another five seconds until they're almost, but not fully softened as they will continue to soften with the retained heat. Dip the pretzels in the melted chocolate and drain on a cake rack over placed over wax paper so that you can reuse the drained chocolate.

Honored Contributor

I use a double boiler to melt chocolate....just melt your chocolate, and I add a bit of parafin to make sure the chocolate sticks to the pretzels. You can use Nestle white chocolate chips.

After chocolate is melted dip the pretzels and lay out on wax paper to 'set'. I keep them in a tin for freshness. The chocolate and salt are a great combo.

Valued Contributor

If you don't have experience tempering chocolate, I'd recommend using the candy coating, but choose a good quality. If using, I only buy Merckens chocolate. Some reminders....don't get water near these coatings. (example: be sure containers are dry with no dampness before adding coatings). Melt slowly in double boiler or very carefully in a microwave as this coating can burn quickly with too high of a heat. Also, when using real chocolate, the pretzels can be hand dipped. With coating you can't touch the coating or it will leave marks. Dip with a fork. Gently shake off excess chocolate. Place pretzels on parchment paper or wax paper to dry. You will need to put sprinkles on while still damp to enable them sticking. If drizzling with other coatings (white, red, green, etc) you can do this when dried. Another tip...allow the coating to cool slightly before dipping pretzels, so the coating will be thicker and not too thin on each pretzel. I know this is a lot for a first-timer, but they are really quite easy to make. Just thought I'd pass on some tips to help you out.

Honored Contributor

The white coating is called almond bark but it does not have almonds in it. This can be purchased in the grocery stores or the big box stores. This is found in the baking section with the other flavored chips. You can use wax paper or parchment paper to place the dipped pretzels on. The almond bark can be melted in the microwave. Make sure your bowls and other items are clean and dry..... no water. Microwave at 30 seconds..... stir and repeat until smooth. I use a carving fork to dip the pretzels. I do the white pretzels. I also like to dip 1/2 of the pretzel in the almond bark and the other 1/2 in chocolate.